Non-Chelsea Transfer Pub

Hamilton

1 hour ago, mediator said:

I would say Azpi could do it. And we could play zouma / ivan as 3rd CB

I don't think azpi would even do good job for rwb, we need a proper left footed player there so he can cross. Kennedy is one of them.

Honestly, i dont get the Kenedy hype, im brazilian, and very few people ive met actually rated him,i think he just doesnt have the football inteligence to play at the highest level, he reminds me too much of Hulk, and i would prefer that he stays out on loan to see how he develops, before recalling him to play a role that is not even his natural one, would much prefer that we go after Gaya, who IMO is a better player than Alonso and perfectly suited for the LWB role

6 hours ago, lucashm said:

Honestly, i dont get the Kenedy hype, im brazilian, and very few people ive met actually rated him,i think he just doesnt have the football inteligence to play at the highest level, he reminds me too much of Hulk, and i would prefer that he stays out on loan to see how he develops, before recalling him to play a role that is not even his natural one, would much prefer that we go after Gaya, who IMO is a better player than Alonso and perfectly suited for the LWB role

You mean like the Hulk we tried to get again and again?

2 hours ago, Yeboii said:

You mean like the Hulk we tried to get again and again?

We tried to get many players, but that doesnt mean that they are great.Hulk is fucking awful, and every single brazilian dreaded the sight of him on the national team, all he has is a powerfull shot, Kenedy has some qualities, but the hype he is getting (some people are calling for him to comeback and start for us ffs) is completely unjustified, and i would much rather see Traore at the first team, who IMO has much more to offer than Kenedy, who is a good dribbler, but doesnt offer much besides that.... again, feel free to disagree, but thats just my opinion on him

20 hours ago, MefiX19 said:

I don't think azpi would even do good job for rwb, we need a proper left footed player there so he can cross. Kennedy is one of them.

Crossing is an overrated attribute of a wide defender. (And of a wide attacker, come to that.) It is far more important that a fullback/wingback should be a good possession player. I haven't seen any sign that Kennedy is such a player.

I had hoped he would get minutes with Watford as he sought to turn himself into an attacking full-back.  He clearly hasn't done enough to earn those minutes however. For now at least, it can't be much more than wishful thinking on our part to imagine Kennedy making a sound contribution for Chelsea. 

Lichtsteiner and Badelj could help secure a top 4 finish. If Moses got injured, it would be nice call up on an experienced wing-back. And he's worked with Conte of course.

Badelj is a player who's been linked with Chelsea. Not the greatest or most exciting signing but he's a good player. Has plenty of experience in the system so he can slide right in when he's needed.

Chelsea would still lack a left-footed player for that LWB role and I think bringing back Van Aanholt would be worth a try. A cheap Jan option but more importantly, a homegrown option. As a fullback, he doesn't cut it to make it at the top. But as a wingback things are different. The boy is good going forward and offers great pace to quickly get up and down the left flank. His defensive weaknesses would not be as much of  problem with that support of the left sided CB and left forward. He would mostly need to be disciplined and commited like Moses. We've seen how that shift in positioning (and change in tactical role) transformed Moses. Van Aanholt could surprise as well.

Courtois/Begovic

Azpilicueta/Ivanovic - Luiz/Terry - Cahill/Zouma

Moses/Lichtsteiner - Kante/Chalobah - Matic/Badelj - Alonso/Van Aanholt

Pedro/Willian - Costa/Batshuayi - Hazard/Oscar

(Eduardo; Fabregas)

*Underlined = HG.

A squad of 24 players consisting 7 HG players would qualify right?

Van Dijk seems likely to go to a better club in the summer. I doubt Soton will sell him for anything else than crazy amounts in January. He seems like a no-brainer to go for though. Luiz, Azpilicueta and Van Dijk with rotation options in Christensen and Zouma would be extremely strong, maybe too much so. 

I would like to think that for Pedro we can finally look at a replacement who is only qualified based on his offensive capabilities. No more "can he track back?", we have wing backs who deal with most of that just fine, and it has worked so far. Rodriguez seems like a good option, as he is a bench player in Madrid, although the transfer ban might be an issue. Douglas Costa is also being a bench player in Bayern, could be another option. If we do not want to go for other clubs reserves though, it would also be cool to look externally/internally for a top class talent there. I would also be curious about Adama Traore, he seems to lack a footballing brain but maybe under the right coaching he could improve? 

Badelj is a really solid player for the CM backup/competition role. I think his main weakness is that he is rather slow, he could be truly world class otherwise. He is an excellent passer though, and as Matic is not exactly a sprinter (although he is faster than I initially thought) I think it would work. I think this is one of those transfers that would make perfect sense. Three class midfielders with different playstyles allow for more tactical options, and also ensures competition to keep the others on their toes.

Alonso and Moses are solid, I like both and I would not look for replacement unless something truly great shows up. Either an amazing talent (I like the look of Grimaldo), or one of the best players in their position. I just dont think replacing them are priorities, we should look for internal options for depth.

I would also like to utilize Conte's experience in Serie A to import some of their talents. If Conte doesnt rate Bats, and Abraham is considered an understudy for the next few years, then perhaps someone like Belotti would be an option?

Either way, the right way forward is to make sure Conte is seriously included in the decision-making. Our new formation is working extremely well so far, and while it wont yield this kind of results forever, it is viable enough to invest into. We need to get players who fit the way we play, and not only based on their abilities. 

It has been a long time since I looked at Chelsea's starting eleven and thought "Wow, there is little weakness here", but if we can over the next two windows replace 2-3 players with better options, we could be there. Furthermore, I believe that we are title contenders provided that we increase the depth in January.