Non-Chelsea Transfer Pub

Hamilton

3 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

No he is reportedly on 170k gross, so half of what sancho gets before taxes

BLID did some investigating on his contract and found he's going to be earning £270,000 a week for us. 

https://www.transfermarkt.com/werner-the-highest-earner-at-chelsea-forward-makes-top-5-of-best-paid-germans/view/news/363769#:~:text=As Bild report%2C the 24,more than €10 million”.

Actually though he was earning more than that but doesn't look too bad now compared to Sancho

7 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

BLID did some investigating on his contract and found he's going to be earning £270,000 a week for us. 

https://www.transfermarkt.com/werner-the-highest-earner-at-chelsea-forward-makes-top-5-of-best-paid-germans/view/news/363769#:~:text=As Bild report%2C the 24,more than €10 million”.

Actually though he was earning more than that but doesn't look too bad now compared to Sancho

Not really sure who to believe on Werner. All sources except Bild said it's around €10M/year. Could easily just be media bias to make it seem he only joined for the money because I would think many German journos would've wanted him to join Bayern eventually, or at least stay in the Bundesliga.

And even if that figure is true, I'd think it's only £270K/wk with every possible bonus clause triggered. Many recent contracts (RLC, CHO especially) at the club were reported to include a lot of performance-related bonuses so I would assume that's the case for Werner too. A basic wage of €10M/year and another €5.5M in bonuses would seem fair enough, so if all clauses are reached he'd have played a hell of a season and it'd be money well spent. Of course the £270k/wk basic wage could be true too but somehow I doubt it. 

United on the other hand haven't favored performance-related contracts, and to be fair with the state the club's been in the last 7 years they've had to pay over the odds wages to attract good players or even keep their current best players from leaving. If Sancho on a €120M transfer gets anything less than £300K/wk his agent has done a bad job. Similar to the Kepa transfer, a crazy fee leads to crazy wages.

24 minutes ago, Jype said:

Not really sure who to believe on Werner. All sources except Bild said it's around €10M/year. Could easily just be media bias to make it seem he only joined for the money because I would think many German journos would've wanted him to join Bayern eventually, or at least stay in the Bundesliga.

And even if that figure is true, I'd think it's only £270K/wk with every possible bonus clause triggered. Many recent contracts (RLC, CHO especially) at the club were reported to include a lot of performance-related bonuses so I would assume that's the case for Werner too. A basic wage of €10M/year and another €5.5M in bonuses would seem fair enough, so if all clauses are reached he'd have played a hell of a season and it'd be money well spent. Of course the £270k/wk basic wage could be true too but somehow I doubt it. 

United on the other hand haven't favored performance-related contracts, and to be fair with the state the club's been in the last 7 years they've had to pay over the odds wages to attract good players or even keep their current best players from leaving. If Sancho on a €120M transfer gets anything less than £300K/wk his agent has done a bad job. Similar to the Kepa transfer, a crazy fee leads to crazy wages.

But sources who reported the £170,000 a week got the information from BILD, who initially went over the contract details before the deal was completed. After things were set and stone, BILD continued their investigation on his contract and are now reporting it's £270,000 a week, which includes a massive signing fee offered to Werner. 

13 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

But sources who reported the £170,000 a week got the information from BILD, who initially went over the contract details before the deal was completed. After things were set and stone, BILD continued their investigation on his contract and are now reporting it's £270,000 a week, which includes a massive signing fee offered to Werner. 

I'm pretty sure Matt Law and the BBC, for example, have their own sources and fact-checking too.

I don't think it's a surprise that tier 1 sources in Germany report the figures higher and tier 1 sources in England report lower. Both have their own agendas and the truth is probably somewhere in between.

And like you said, the BILD report even includes a signing on bonus to arrive at that total figure. Pretty much all player transfers include sizable signing-on fees but they're usually not summed up in the weekly wages except when the media has an agenda and wants to inflate the figures as high as they can. And like I said above, I wouldn't be surprised at all if some of the weekly wages were also tied to performance-bonuses.

Obviously we can never know these things for sure without actually seeing the contract and tbh I couldn't really care less how much a player makes as long as he delivers on the pitch and the club can afford it. 

32 minutes ago, Jype said:

I'm pretty sure Matt Law and the BBC, for example, have their own sources and fact-checking too.

I don't think it's a surprise that tier 1 sources in Germany report the figures higher and tier 1 sources in England report lower. Both have their own agendas and the truth is probably somewhere in between.

And like you said, the BILD report even includes a signing on bonus to arrive at that total figure. Pretty much all player transfers include sizable signing-on fees but they're usually not summed up in the weekly wages except when the media has an agenda and wants to inflate the figures as high as they can. And like I said above, I wouldn't be surprised at all if some of the weekly wages were also tied to performance-bonuses.

Obviously we can never know these things for sure without actually seeing the contract and tbh I couldn't really care less how much a player makes as long as he delivers on the pitch and the club can afford it. 

And I'm pretty sure Matt law and BBC got their information from Bild when it's widely known they were the first to break the story. And the signing on fee is equally distributed throughout the duration of his contract, hence the  £270,000 a week figure. Doesn't really scream 'agenda' if Blid initially said the deal was £170,000 a week figure.

23 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52970103

bbc and constantin eckner have him on 175k

Look at the publication date. Weeks before Werner signed and his contract was thoroughly investigated by Bild. 

5 hours ago, Jason said:

But is Jamal Lewis any good? Which striker are they targeting? Again, is he any good? 

Look past their first XI, their depth is really not that great - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–20_Liverpool_F.C._season#First-team_squad

People more than likely probably would have said the same about Andy Robertson when he first signed considering he came from a side that got relegated. Jamal Lewis does look in the sort of mould of fullback that Klopp likes and honestly I really dont think he’s any lesser a player that Reece James is imo so for a back up he’s ideal, plus hes young and still has huge room for improvement. 

16 hours ago, Jason said:

Klopp is gonna have to refresh that XI sooner or later. Salah and Mane turn 29 and Firmino turn 30 next year. Henderson is already 30, Milner is 34 and can't be viable backup for much longer. The likes of Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain are hit-and-miss, Minamino hasn't convinced, Origi only good as sub. 

Yes refresh but he doesn’t need to overhaul the team hugely. You look at Alisson who is 27, Trent is 21, Joe Gomez is 23, Robertson is 26, Fabinho is 26. Still plenty of life in those guys and they will undoubtedly form the spine of their team. Also even van Dijk at 29, the very very good CBs tend to last to their early 30s.

Okay they need may to refresh the XI a bit in midfield but I really cannot see Salah and Mane slowing down for another 2 seasons minimum due to how often they’re injured and how well they clearly look after themselves. Firmino again, is he hugely reliant on his physical attributes as a footballer? No not really so again maybe another 2 seasons at least maybe more.

Yea they’ll need replaced eventually but this when someones approaching 30 and will automatically decline is ridiculously naive because you have to look at how often these guys have been injured over the years, how they prepare and look after themselves, what their playing styles are, how their teams play and everything else. Going by the 30 plus logic Lewandowski would of slowed down years ago, Robben and Ribery wouldnt have ever managed to play regularly under Pep. Ronaldo has probably gotten better after turning 30 and so has Ibrahimovich. Its got to be done case by case. Mane and Salah are both world class footballers as well and arguably so is Firmino so you wouldnt be half surprised if they kept going at a good level to 32 or 33. 

Their issues are that Keita hasn't ever done well enough on a consistent basis and neither has Oxlade-Chamberlain. Origi isnt the best player to start games but has he not scored some of the biggest goals in their CL win? Minamino probably needs more chances.

Even then if Klopp wants to retain the title and focus more on the short term and go for that, the CL, the cups next season, he doesnt have to go and spend the 250mn on players who are early 20s and will grow into longterm replacements for those players approaching 30. Maybe Thiago arrives for 30mn, maybe another CB, maybe a LB and maybe another forward player. They dont have to all be amazing amazing squad players. Good and dependable yes but don’t t have to be world class/top players. I mean look at City, how many top players for each position? Is it necessarily useful? Perhaps in some positions (forward areas) but everytime they’ve won something they've primarily used the same 15 or 16 players regularly throughout. 

8 hours ago, Jason said:

But is Jamal Lewis any good? Which striker are they targeting? Again, is he any good? 

Look past their first XI, their depth is really not that great - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–20_Liverpool_F.C._season#First-team_squad

Haven't seen who they're linked with but they have a record of targeting good players for a while now

3 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

And I'm pretty sure Matt law and BBC got their information from Bild when it's widely known they were the first to break the story. And the signing on fee is equally distributed throughout the duration of his contract, hence the  £270,000 a week figure. Doesn't really scream 'agenda' if Blid initially said the deal was £170,000 a week figure.

Matt Law has very close contacts directly at Chelsea too, why would he just go with what Bild are reporting without checking it by his own sources too? Would be quite unprofessional of him.

Either way, I would assume there to be a bit of truth in both figures. £170K basic wage with bonuses to potentially take it up significantly if he does well.

About the signing on fee, I wouldn't include that figure in his weekly wage to keep it more comparative to other players. Like I said before, pretty much any transfer has a signing fee included, the size of which is proportionate to the transfer fee and wages involved in the deal. If you want to include all signing fees and bonuses for Werner, you should probably include them for every other player too. If you include everything for Werner and go with the basic weekly wage for other players, you're only going to get confusing figures that have no correlation with each other.

And while we were talking about Sancho, I have no doubt he will get also be getting a big signing fee at United too on top of his basic wage which going by reports will be somewhere between £250-340K/wk. He's definitely going to be making a lot more money overall than Timo, just going by the fact he will be United's record signing and they tend to pay significantly higher wages than Chelsea anyways. But that's their business, couldn't really care less.

3 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Look at the publication date. Weeks before Werner signed and his contract was thoroughly investigated by Bild. 

The date on the BBC article is literally from the day he signed, June 18th. 

23 minutes ago, Jype said:

Matt Law has very close contacts directly at Chelsea too, why would he just go with what Bild are reporting without checking it by his own sources too? Would be quite unprofessional of him.

So what are his sources then :)

Last time I checked, Matt Law was notoriously known for taking stories from those that first broke it. 

Either way, I would assume there to be a bit of truth in both figures. £170K basic wage with bonuses to potentially take it up significantly if he does well.

About the signing on fee, I wouldn't include that figure in his weekly wage to keep it more comparative to other players. Like I said before, pretty much any transfer has a signing fee included, the size of which is proportionate to the transfer fee and wages involved in the deal. If you want to include all signing fees and bonuses for Werner, you should probably include them for every other player too. If you include everything for Werner and go with the basic weekly wage for other players, you're only going to get confusing figures that have no correlation with each other.

BILD's report literally goes into details that the signing on fees isn't a lump sum, they are going to be distributed throughout the remainder of his contract. Equally a total of  £270,000 a week. It isn't a number merely conjured up. 

https://www.bild.de/bild-plus/sport/fussball/fussball-international/timo-werner-zu-chelsea-top-verdiener-dank-xxl-vertrag-und-handgeld-71467720,view=conversionToLogin.bild.html

The date on the BBC article is literally from the day he signed, June 18th. 

You're right. The full extent of his contract wasn't discovered until a week later by Bild 

7 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

So what are his sources then :)

Last time I checked, Matt Law was notoriously known for taking stories from those that first broke it. 

BILD's report literally goes into details that the signing on fees isn't a lump sum, they are going to be distributed throughout the remainder of his contract. Equally a total of  £270,000 a week. It isn't a number merely conjured up. 

https://www.bild.de/bild-plus/sport/fussball/fussball-international/timo-werner-zu-chelsea-top-verdiener-dank-xxl-vertrag-und-handgeld-71467720,view=conversionToLogin.bild.html

You're right. The full extent of his contract wasn't discovered until a week later by Bild 

Mate there is conflicting info from different reliable sources. We have no way of knowing which is true. That's it. 

3 minutes ago, Artandur said:

Mate there is conflicting info from different reliable sources. We have no way of knowing which is true. That's it. 

I'll stick with the source that initially broke it and then everyone hopped on it. Not to mention said source have actually done a thorough and detailed breakdown of the terms. 

It is amusing however seeing everyone try and rule out the concept that we are paying a player ridiculously high wages. :lol:

4 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

I'll stick with the source that initially broke it and then everyone hopped on it. Not to mention said source have actually done a thorough and detailed breakdown of the terms. 

It is amusing however seeing everyone try and rule out the concept that we are paying a player ridiculously high wages. :lol:

I wrote we have no way to know, which is literally the exact opposite of ruling anything out.

6 minutes ago, Artandur said:

I wrote we have no way to know, which is literally the exact opposite of ruling anything out.

Well that would just be an appeal to ignorance if we are ignoring Bild's initial report and their actual breakdown of Werner's contract.