Juan Mata

Severinb

The way people just reduce Mata as a player on here because he doesn't have the apparent defensive work rate or athleticism as our other attacking midfielders is quite sad.

Creatively, none of them are on Mata's level. Mata's is one of the best number 10s (if not the best) in the world for me, and to see that people are now starting to entertain the idea that we'll still be well off without him (not completely denying that this isn't true because obviously no player is bigger than the club) is sad to me.

It is clear Mata is very happy at Chelsea and is enjoying his time here, he's on the way to becoming a legend here.

Like I said before, I can't wait till he gets to 100% match fitness and starts reminding people how good he is again, it's like many have forgotten. It's sad to see our best player over the last 2 seasons under appreciated like this.Exactly

Exactly what I have been trying to say. Mata's lack of defensive capabilities is outweighed by the positives he gives us in attack. He scored 20 goals and had 35 assists meaning he had a direct hand in 55 of the team's 141 goals last season which is over a third of our total goals. Surely a player like that deserves to be starting every week and can be excused fo his lack of defensive work.

We all know Jose's strength is defensively organising teams. It's what he knows - it's what he excels at. It's even what he loves - it's what brings him success. There can be no argument here. The execution of such tactics obviously require the correct players; organised, strong and disciplined. It's not really rocket science, and in this simple truth lies the fate of Juan Mata. He's simply not a Mourinho player - and probably never will be. The tactics he deployed at Old Trafford only further proved to me he's better off sticking to nullifying opponents. Juan Mata is completely wasted in this style of play and I honestly don't think Mourinho has any plans for him to be an integral part of his team. This isn't to say I predict Mata to be sold - just a much lesser role.

Mata: From chosen one to frozen Juan... Spaniard's fall from grace is a mystery

Fall from grace?! OH FOR FUCKING SAKE!!

First Mata was branded a Chelsea spare-part and now fall from grace! Can't believe such things are written on a daily basis!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Sad, biased reporting...probably trying to get payback for the Rooney transfer saga.

It's nothing like that and you know it.

I'm not denying Mata's contribution over the last 2 seasons, no-one is in fact. But to say we rely on him as much as Spurs rely on Bale is folly. And as for this whole, he's a key player to our success.. Yeah he is. But that doesn't mean without him we're all f*cked. Successful teams don't rest on their laurels. If a player is the best in the squad for 2 seasons, that doesn't mean

a] he'll be that for more

b] he shouldn't have more competition.

Hell even Madrid brought in Bale who play in Ronaldo's postion. Barca bought in Neymar who can also play in Messi's position. MU bought in RVP last season when Rooney just had a cracker of a season and resulting in his shamble mess this summer which has been solved for now. Man City bought in 2 new strikers even though they still have one of the best in the world Aguero and top class Dzeko, I know they let Tevez and Balotelli go but still.

It is called strengthening the squad, you don't want to be over rely on anyone too much even when you have to. If Bale stayed I am sure Spurs would have still bought Lamela anyway. What if Mata breaks his leg on Friday and rule out for 6 months? Yeah if we didn't signed Willian we would be fucked and play Schurrle/Moses all the time which I don't think either are good enough to deserve that.

Hell even Madrid brought in Bale who play in Ronaldo's postion. Barca bought in Neymar who can also play in Messi's position. MU bought in RVP last season when Rooney just had a cracker of a season and resulting in his shamble mess this summer which has been solved for now. Man City bought in 2 new strikers even though they still have one of the best in the world Aguero and top class Dzeko, I know they let Tevez and Balotelli go but still.

It is called strengthening the squad, you don't want to be over rely on anyone too much even when you have to. If Bale stayed I am sure Spurs would have still bought Lamela anyway. What if Mata breaks his leg on Friday and rule out for 6 months? Yeah if we didn't signed Willian we would be fucked and play Schurrle/Moses all the time which I don't think either are good enough to deserve that.

Good point on the top teams having more depth, but mata will end up proving himself

How fragile of a player do you think Mata is? He will fight for his place and if he's not happy out wide or he loses his spot, he'll probably leave. Not the end of the world...

Spot on.

Juan Mata is a solid pro with a great attitude. If he's being asked to do something different or add something to his game then he should respond correctly. If he doesn't then we move on to other options.

Oscar and De Bruyne may not be at his level yet (although neither has really been given a proper run in that position,yet both have shown flashes of utter genius) but if you were looking for young players who could make that position their own then there's not many other players in world football you'd choose ahead of them.

Mourinho in the pre-Bayern game press conference...

Mark Lomas @marklomasESPN 48s

Jose on Mata: "Everything is clear between me and the player, he has no problems. He wants to stay, I want him to stay. There is no story"

Chelsea FC @chelseafc 2m

Mourinho says he explained to @juanmata10 why he didn't play at Man U. He says he wants Mata to stay, and that the player wants to.

I'm glad people understand the case for 'It's not the end of the world if he leaves'. No-one's really saying "sell him, sell him", but if he was sold then you can understand the reasoning for it. I don't actually thinks he does, because hopefully Mata's going to take it on the stride, bide his time, and unleash his talent when Mourinho calls for him.

Remember, these guys played over 60+ games last season. Mata played a significant portion more, so if we now have similar players to allow him that rest - Then there should be no complaints for him or us alike. If Mata doesn't respond well, then he will leave Chelsea with grace and we'll fully understand. Even if it is to Arsenal or Man United.

Shit happens people, but the club still stands above everyone.

Everyone outside of Chelsea is using the fact he is conveniently horrifically out of shape in terms of his fitness at the minute (let's not forget, he hasn't really had a pre-season) to make it out that Mourinho doesn't like him. Untrue: why would Mourinho dislike the player who has obviously been our best and most consistent star over the last 18-24 months? Let's see how Mata performs when his fitness levels improve, then we can see whether José likes him or not.

Whether he does or not, don't expect him to play 60-odd games against this season. And that's good - how often did we complain that Mata was suffering from a burn-out of sorts last year?! We'll keep him fresh and rested and he can make as much of a difference as he possible can. Wait and see.