Juan Mata

Severinb

If you look at our attacking midfield options, then Mata is something of an odd man out. De Bruyne, Schurrle, Hazard, Oscar and Willian all have that dynamic, physical nature in both defence and attack that Mata doesn't really have. It comes down to workrate - look at the game against Villa at the end of last season where his lack of tracking back created massive gaps between himself and the pivot. That wasn't a one-off either.

Then look at Oscar's performance against United where he was all over the pitch, linking play together from deep and then popping up in the opposition box much like he does for Brazil too.

I'm not saying we're going to sell him and I'm not saying it isn't possible for us to have different types of players for different types of situations, but if you're looking to play a high-intensity game based on fast attacking moves and high workrate in defence, then maybe you're going to prefer certain players over others.

If you look at our attacking midfield options, then Mata is something of an odd man out. De Bruyne, Schurrle, Hazard, Oscar and Willian all have that dynamic, physical nature in both defence and attack that Mata doesn't really have. It comes down to workrate - look at the game against Villa at the end of last season where his lack of tracking back created massive gaps between himself and the pivot. That wasn't a one-off either.

Then look at Oscar's performance against United where he was all over the pitch, linking play together from deep and then popping up in the opposition box much like he does for Brazil too.

I'm not saying we're going to sell him and I'm not saying it isn't possible for us to have different types of players for different types of situations, but if you're looking to play a high-intensity game based on fast attacking moves and high workrate in defence, then maybe you're going to prefer certain players over others.

1. In the Aston Villa game, Mata was not playing in the Centre of 3, he was playing on the right. And I am not sure those were really gaps because Aston Villa were playing a very high line. Those gaps only appeared when we played a ball over the top for Ba to chase and he invariably ended up being offside. Even if one of the AMs were to cover in those gaps, it would have amounted to nothing.

2. You can't just compare the kind of player Mata is with people like De Bruyne, Schurrle and Willian and not talk about the gulf in quality. KDB, Schurrle, Willian first need to prove they can cut it in the PL.

3. "High intensity game, fast attacking moves, high workrate in defense". I think you are mixing up 2-3 playing styles in one.

Mourinho should try and suit the style to the strengths of our team. He is already turning Ramires into something that he is not and thus not utilizing his strengths fully.

The system that Mourinho played in 2004-2007 cannot be used with this Chelsea team. Then he had Makelele, Drogba, Carvalho and players like Lampard, Terry, Essien, Ashley Cole were all young and in peak physical shape. The present team has different attributes and it will be wise to pay some heed to their strengths.

Great managers make great space for great players. Messi is not known for his defensive side of the game but is still a key figure in the Barca team. Pirlo is also not the fastest player around but Conte found a way to play him in a counter attacking Juve. So the Mata does not track back nonsense has to go. What he contributes in front of goal is worth more than he costs us at the back 20 goals and 35 assists to be precise. That is he had a contribution in 55 of the 141 goals we scored last season which is just slightly over a third of our goals last season. Also hazard links better with Mata than anyone else which overall is better for the team. Had we strengthed at the pivot we would not have had this Mata problems.

Mata has even stopped updating the after match blog he always did. I think Mourinho is breaking his spirit. I know its tough to say this but for the player Mata is he deserves better and I would not begrudge him if he forced a move, but I rest assure u that will be the end of Mourinho's honeymoon period in most fans faces and im sure for the owner too. I would rather have a 75% fit Mata in the starting 11 than KDB to be honest. No offense to KDB's talents his a great player and good for depth but Mata is a much better player and has more talent than him also he offers way more to the team through than most people actually realise. He had a hand in 55 of our goals last season which is just over a third of our total goals of 141 that we scored last season. Surely a player like that should be the first name on the sheet. Also I know he does not offer tracking back qualities and has a weak defensive contribution but surely he makes that up by his great link up play with Hazard. I believe that Hazard is a much better player with Mata in the line up than without him. Its like they share the same football brain when both are on the pitch. Mourinho is a great coach but he is also a human being prone to error and this is one error he has to fix before its too late.

Mata has even stopped updating the after match blog he always did. I think Mourinho is breaking his spirit. I know its tough to say this but for the player Mata is he deserves better and I would not begrudge him if he forced a move, but I rest assure u that will be the end of Mourinho's honeymoon period in most fans faces and im sure for the owner too. I would rather have a 75% fit Mata in the starting 11 than KDB to be honest. No offense to KDB's talents his a great player and good for depth but Mata is a much better player and has more talent than him also he offers way more to the team through than most people actually realise. He had a hand in 55 of our goals last season which is just over a third of our total goals of 141 that we scored last season. Surely a player like that should be the first name on the sheet. Also I know he does not offer tracking back qualities and has a weak defensive contribution but surely he makes that up by his great link up play with Hazard. I believe that Hazard is a much better player with Mata in the line up than without him. Its like they share the same football brain when both are on the pitch. Mourinho is a great coach but he is also a human being prone to error and this is one error he has to fix before its too late.

How can he update the after match blog when he does not play? In this case, he is a spectator, just like us. Mata aint going anywhere. and he will start against Bayern.

How can he update the after match blog when he does not play? In this case, he is a spectator, just like us. Mata aint going anywhere. and he will start against Bayern.

He used to update even games he was not involved in last season. he even got to watch some la liga games and talked abt those too

Why are people talking about work rate did they not watch mata the last two seasons he played?? What are the complain before he was name best player and we all praise the day he choose to sign for Chelsea it really beyond me

I definitely don't think Jose will let him leave. Funny how as soon as any rumours about him started appearing, some fans start complaining about all his weaknesses.

We have some really ungrateful fans that seem to have forgotten how good of a footballer Juan is, and how much he has done for us since arriving.

I definitely don't think Jose will let him leave. Funny how as soon as any rumours about him started appearing, some fans start complaining about all his weaknesses.

We have some really ungrateful fans that seem to have forgotten how good of a footballer Juan is, and how much he has done for us since arriving.

If that's a pop at me then feel free to name me. I can take a bit of criticism.

Every player has weaknesses and every manager will decide whether the strengths they offer fit what they want in a team or not. I love Mata but I'm not of the opinion that we can only have success with him in the team. We won the Champions League and yet he wasn't the great for us in the semis or the final.

I've also always liked the idea of Oscar in the middle of the park which means pushing Mata to one of the wings, but there's a possibility that Willian and Hazard offer a greater direct threat than Juan and that's without mentioning Schurrle and De Bruyne.

All this doesn't mean I think he'll leave, but I've said from the end of last season that I think he'll play less games and be less important to us this season. I may yet be proven wrong.

We also have some fans who just can't accept that Chelsea can still be a great club without Mata.

If Mourinho wants to build his team around Oscar, De Bruyne, Hazard & Willian...then Mata's role will be reduced.

I'm not saying that Mata will be sold..but people are acting like he's a god.

Sadly, I think Mata will be elsewhere this time next week and I'm absolutely gutted. To say I hope he says and is only being rested is an understatement. Juan is the team's primary playmaker & his importance in the midfield cannot be underestimated. I just want this transfer window to be over...

If that's a pop at me then feel free to name me. I can take a bit of criticism.

Every player has weaknesses and every manager will decide whether the strengths they offer fit what they want in a team or not. I love Mata but I'm not of the opinion that we can only have success with him in the team. We won the Champions League and yet he wasn't the great for us in the semis or the final.

I've also always liked the idea of Oscar in the middle of the park which means pushing Mata to one of the wings, but there's a possibility that Willian and Hazard offer a greater direct threat than Juan and that's without mentioning Schurrle and De Bruyne.

All this doesn't mean I think he'll leave, but I've said from the end of last season that I think he'll play less games and be less important to us this season. I may yet be proven wrong.

Nar mate not a pop at anyone in particular.

I understand and completely feel the same way as you and have no doubt we could get on fine without him. It's just it seems as a lot of people are now underrating how good he is at what he does and thinking it would be fine to let him move to a rival. I really hope he does stay though, competition for a position is always a good thing and our squad is looking very strong.

Lol people here never fail to amuse me. no really, what's wrong with you lot exactly? why do you assume that he's not a favourite in Mourinho's eyes? do you really believe everything you read in the papers?

The guy missed half of the pre-season then got injured. same with Luiz. he didn't start our first 3 games because he's not fit. so because he's not fit, people go on to assume he's leaving? the lack of common sense is quite strong in this one.