Juan Mata

Severinb

If the 50k per week thing is true - I hope we double his wages, offer him a brand stinking new 5 year contract, and the option of changing his number to 25 if he so desires!

He only earns about 60k wages p/w right now and there were talks that he will earn 100k p/w instead in his new contract, whenever that will happen.

And don't think he would want to change his number to 25. He likes the No.10 and got it after, funnily enough, Benayoun gave it to him.

He would have been literally useless in last nights game, hence why bringing him on wasn't even an option. And no, I'm not speaking exclusively post-Ramires. Although having said that, Mata would have buried that chance Oscar wasted (from the Dante mistake).

agree ...this was NEVER a game for Mata especially when Ramires was sent off

He isn't fit. He came from COnfederations Cup, had problems and in the last 2 games we couldn't risk against the English Champion and the European Champion.

He played really badly against Villa.

Now he can play without much risk and he will be a really important player. I don't know if he will be in the starting eleven for the most difficult games but we have 60 games do play and he will be used a lot.

He isn't fit. He came from COnfederations Cup, had problems and in the last 2 games we couldn't risk against the English Champion and the European Champion.

He played really badly against Villa.

Now he can play without much risk and he will be a really important player. I don't know if he will be in the starting eleven for the most difficult games but we have 60 games do play and he will be used a lot.

Do you think that is enough for someone trying to cement a place in probably the most stacked national team?

Haha funny the way the world works. If you are good at your job but not good at playing the politics you will be held back in your career, like Mata has over here. Meanwhile Lampard has said all the right words in the media to get a contract extension and guaranteed starting position despite playing so poor. Life is unfair I guess. Still can't help but feel sorry for Mata. Must be thinking what he has done to deserve this kind of shameful treatment.

He would have been literally useless in last nights game, hence why bringing him on wasn't even an option. And no, I'm not speaking exclusively post-Ramires. Although having said that, Mata would have buried that chance Oscar wasted (from the Dante mistake).

the first question is would he be there to take the chance? he doesn't run a lot in counter attacks (what I guess was what originated the play). But yeah, had he been there, he would have scored. Damn it, Oscar would have scored it, I don't know what happened, but I'm still cursing him in the inside.

I just never saw where Mata would have fit this match. It was a very physical, high pressing, tactical (defensively) match and we all know he can't fit those matches. He's slow, he doesn't press, he doesn't defend, he doesn't tackle, he's small (there were way too many crosses in the end). So yeah, not a match for him at all.

matches for him are the ones like the United match became. He's a maestro, he's smart and creative, but he isn't cut for counter-attack. I mean he isn't totally useless in counter-attack football, but the style definitely takes away a lot of his stats. He isn't fast, his positioning while we're are defending is far from good, so either he'll give the eventual first pass to set the counter attack (like the one Torres gave today to Hazard to start the goal he scored), but he won't follow fast like Eden and André did (again I use the first goal as an example).

So while I think he's one of our best players (Oscar and Eden would give him a run for his money now that they have a season under their belts), he isn't the kind of guy like Ronaldo or Messi that could demand a team to gravitate around them and improve the team because of it. Which brings me back to my controversial posts about him not from a few weeks ago where I stated he isn't big enough to be our team main star (relatively). That's what I mean. Messi, Ronaldo and even Bale are the kind of guys that are good to the point you have to set up your team to suit them, not the other way around. I don't think given the other 5 players we have in the 2-3-1 (from the 4-2-3-1 formation) we can afford to have the team adapting to Mata and not the opposite. While he had his significant contribution to the UCL title (I still give most of it to Drogba and our defense), we have to be honest and admit that in the seasons he had been our best player we were far from our best or the level required to win EPL and UCL in a convincing fashion. If we build the team around him, that's what we should expect again... mediocre in EPL (too physical for what he offers) and lucky on Europe (let's not talk about the third level teams we played in Europa League).

Now does it mean I think he shouldn't be a starting XI player? Does it diminish him as a player? Does it mean I think we should offload him? No to all three.

I'm just stating the obvious that is Mata has to adapt to the tactics and the team, not the team and the tactics to have to adapt to Mata because recent past showed we can only be as much competitive if that's the case and also because he isn't this giant in football. There are only a handful of those every decade...

So supposing he's the one who should adapt, how will he do it? That's the one million question for me. I don't know. We could move Oscar to the pivot and make him the CAM. I'll need to see a few matches of that to be convinced it would give the same results with Oscar in the CAM position (both defensively and offensively). He could play in one of the wings... except that the left wing is owned by Hazard - who I think will be our best player this season and who I think was really close to match Mata - if not the same level - last season. The other wing we have André performing really well and Willian joining. So yeah, I don't know what to do. Not starting someone so intelligent, creative and good as him seems like a big waste, but we should only start him if he adds to the team finals numbers and evolution. If his contribution improves offensively, but harms defensively, he shouldn't start. If others contribute more than him, he shouldn't start. If he doesn't suit the tactics and style of play, he shouldn't start. But there's only one way to find those answers: playing him. And I don't mean as a sub, Mourinho will have to give him a few starts - against smaller and bigger oppositions - and then we should compare the team with and without him.

I don't know, but this seems so complicated right now. He's been our best player - but when we weren't the best team. We may be on the path to be our best. How does he fit in? I don't know.

Slowly drifting away from Jose and first team. The fitness bullshit is over. Like I said, this could be his last season for Chelsea.

No doubt this is his last season for Chelsea, I always feared he wasnt the kind of player Mourinho need.