Juan Mata

Severinb

It's an interesting thing because one of the reasons I thought Mourinho wouldn't come back here is having a team built around Mata. Everything that Mourinho generally loves, counter-attacking, defensive solidity, quick movement, Mata is not. What Mata has is incredible vision, an excellent touch, and is a good finisher. Whereas Ramires strikes me as a perfect Mourinho sort of player, Mata doesn't seem to fit. Of course, Mourinho could always adapt his style to fit Mata better because he is our best player. It will be very interesting to see.

I don't think its exactly a case of having a "Mourinho-type" of player. I think he would definitely like his squad to have good options and someone who has incredible vision, an excellent touch and a good finish would definitely figure into his plans in some form. From what he has said in the press, he'll be creating a new identity for his Chelsea team and I wouldn't be surprised if Mata became an integral part of it.

I don't think its exactly a case of having a "Mourinho-type" of player. I think he would definitely like his squad to have good options and someone who has incredible vision, an excellent touch and a good finish would definitely figure into his plans in some form. From what he has said in the press, he'll be creating a new identity for his Chelsea team and I wouldn't be surprised if Mata became an integral part of it.

It's possible for sure, maybe even likely but I can also envision a side where Mata is not as important. To be fair, he's shouldered too much of the load anyway and a more balanced attack (especially more width and better production from strikers) would be most welcome.

Mata isnt going nowhere lads...

And to think some people think he cant play 4-3-3 is just absurd ! Valencia played that formation and he played under AVB with that formation...

Dont see why anybody would want to sell a player who pretty much carried Chelsea last season along with Hazard

It's an interesting thing because one of the reasons I thought Mourinho wouldn't come back here is having a team built around Mata. Everything that Mourinho generally loves, counter-attacking, defensive solidity, quick movement, Mata is not. What Mata has is incredible vision, an excellent touch, and is a good finisher. Whereas Ramires strikes me as a perfect Mourinho sort of player, Mata doesn't seem to fit. Of course, Mourinho could always adapt his style to fit Mata better because he is our best player. It will be very interesting to see.

Mourinho will surprise people next season. Im very sure he'll improve the defensive contribution of mata. After all, hazard wasn't good at defending under RDM but under benitez look how he improved defensively. The same thing happened with ozil, he was horrible defensively before mourinho made him incredibly good defensively. So im backing mourinho to make mata even better than he already is :yes:

Mourinho on Mata (when speaking about formations)...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jul/16/jose-mourinho-chelsea-fernando-torres

"With Mata, I need to get to know him better. I like sometimes to play with what I call 'wingers with the wrong foot' – right-footed men on the left and left-footed men on the right. He is the only left-footed player we have when we want to play with a winger on the right side, but the competition is hard. We will have Schurrle, De Bruyne, Mata, Oscar, Hazard and Moses for these three positions and so we have many more options than Chelsea had in the last year. These are crucial positions for me. I like these players to play with high intensity so to have five players for three positions is, I think, brilliant for me. It's fantastic."

Mata on the right will work better than Oscar on the right.

I'd like to see Oscar vs Schurrle on the left, Hazard vs KDB in the middle and Mata vs Moses on the right.

Seems balanced to me, and quite lethal.

Jose from same article posted above

"We will play 4-2-3-1 in the first game, my favourite system, though sometimes I change the triangle and play with one in front of the defenders and two players up," Mourinho said. "Other times I play with double midfielders and a No10. This is a team where we have not one or two but three or four players who like very much to be a No10: [Kevin] De Bruyne likes it, Oscar likes it, Mata likes it, [Eden] Hazard likes it. It is a natural system for all these players to play.

"But in another match I could change it. If we are losing, we might need to have two pure strikers. It is something we will work on because I would like to have this capacity to have it ready to play, independent of the players we have. Naturally, we will have four at the back and in my team, the attackers are attackers. Some guys say we play 4-2-3-1, blah blah blah blah, and sometimes the attackers have a defensive job so it is more like 4-5-1. But it is not 4-5-1, it is 4-3-3.

I'd like to see Oscar vs Schurrle on the left, Hazard vs KDB in the middle and Mata vs Moses on the right.

Seems balanced to me, and quite lethal.

yea I remember Mata being very influential the few times he played on the right for us and the Olympic Spanish team. But Eden is much more effective on the left for us, and Oscar should be tried in the middle.