Juan Mata

Severinb

He really struggled last night, only Arbeloa was worse. I really don't think he has much chance of being in the Spain team in the future. I can see him being part of the squad but not a starter.

Agreed, and this is a positive for us.

They were all shit ...

To be honest even the "legendery" Xavi and Iniesta were quite bad. not to mention Pique, Arbeloa, Ramos......

Atleast Mata gave one great ball which was supposed to be an assist but David Luiz basicaly did a 'not today' save. B)

And this is why I said:

And just like his Spanish team that are total shit when the opposing team is aggressive and press like crazy.

In the Euro cup that they first won, they where more faster, higher tempo and a bit stronger.

They had some added strength from bigger players to that team of little midgets. Not to mention Torres was in great form.

Today's Spanish players are relying on midget weak guys, and this is what happens you get bully by aggressive team.

It's what happened to us against City, because we also have midget weak guys in Oscar, Mata and Hazard we got owned.

Sometimes you need a balance.

He really struggled last night, only Arbeloa was worse. I really don't think he has much chance of being in the Spain team in the future. I can see him being part of the squad but not a starter.

Maybe but that would also depend if Spain continue to persist with the tiki-taka all the time in the upcoming years. Their current short passing style doesn't suit Mata totally.

You can't afford benching Mata, like him or not, he makes a huuuuge difference on the scoreboard, and we have no one else that can produce at that level yet. Hazard is close but he needs to add more goals to his game, which he probably will this season.

In the big games, where you need every single player to do a job I can understand employing Oscar in the number 10 role but the PL will be Mata's to rule imo. He'll def be favoured over Oscar simply because of the stats he can put up.

I love Mata and I think he's an excellent representative of Chelsea Football Club, but I'm really starting to think that he won't have another season like he did last time out in terms of importance to the team, minutes and goals/assists. I really do think he might sit out a few matches where Oscar's workrate might be considered more important, because Mata can sometimes struggle to impose himself on the opposition.

I actually think that Oscar has a higher ceiling than Mata and that Jose might choose to give him the Number 10 role instead of Juan, which is probably why there's been these stories leaking out. This isn't a case of 'Jose likes to bully the opposition' but Mata always gives the impression of being knackered and sometimes the distances between him and the other midfielders makes passing the ball out of defence tricky, and also creates holes for the opposition to exploit.

Maybe that's a case of his stupidly heavy workload over the last 24 months and maybe Jose can work on some of these issues but I do think that Mata might become slightly less important to our team next season.

Agree that the Mata dependency will come to an end. That was always on the cards if/when we actually had a normal sized squad and the alternatives weren't Marin, Benayoun,Bertrand etc. The way it's going we're going to have serious competition for places and a number of multifunctional players like Oscar/Schurrle/KDB who will replace Mata either from the start of games or off the bench.

I don't think Mata is suited for some games and therefore having strong alternatives is a must. I think Mourinho knows that better than anyone and will plan for that.

I love Mata and I think he's an excellent representative of Chelsea Football Club, but I'm really starting to think that he won't have another season like he did last time out in terms of importance to the team, minutes and goals/assists. I really do think he might sit out a few matches where Oscar's workrate might be considered more important, because Mata can sometimes struggle to impose himself on the opposition.

I actually think that Oscar has a higher ceiling than Mata and that Jose might choose to give him the Number 10 role instead of Juan, which is probably why there's been these stories leaking out. This isn't a case of 'Jose likes to bully the opposition' but Mata always gives the impression of being knackered and sometimes the distances between him and the other midfielders makes passing the ball out of defence tricky, and also creates holes for the opposition to exploit.

Maybe that's a case of his stupidly heavy workload over the last 24 months and maybe Jose can work on some of these issues but I do think that Mata might become slightly less important to our team next season.

I agree as well, but as i have said in another thread - do no forget Hazard (let alone if we start talking about ceiling). People tend to discount him because he can play equally well on the wing (i think he rules at 10 though). He also explicitly expressed that ambition and Mouinhou seems to rate him if th papers are actually right for once.

A team in which you have a 10 and his back up is long gone. The '3' will have to be more fluent. We've seen in the beginning how powerfull this can be and i believe Mourinhou will build on it. You would be pretty stupid to 'fixate' the 10 positions when you have these options - both inter-game as ingame.

So yes, Mata will be less important. Not for being worse, but because others also rise up to he occasion. So much the better, I believe for Chelsea as a team.

Judging by some of the comments made on Mata here, especially in regards to his efficiency and importance, it probably won't be long before you have people start to turn on him. (May happen if the current scapegoats, if you like, are sold or gone from here)

Judging by some of the comments made on Mata here, especially in regards to his efficiency and importance, it probably won't be long before you have people start to turn on him. (May happen if the current scapegoats, if you like, are sold or gone from here)

Do not get me wrong. Mata is crucial and I think extremely good. - actually I hope you aren't even addressing me on the topic :-)

I think Mata is as good as ever. We just got more guys now that are starting to shine as well. There is nothing wrong with having more then one genius. I can however- thus- relate to some that say it is a bit of a hyperbole that there can only be one 'performer in the team'. Ow ...we have indeed more than one now ....

Just my two cents.

Do not get me wrong. Mata is crucial and I think extremely good. - actually I hope you aren't even addressing me on the topic :-)

I think Mata is as good as ever. We just got more guys now that are starting to shine as well. There is nothing wrong with having more then one genius. I can however- thus- relate to some that say it is a bit of a hyperbole that there can only be one 'performer in the team'. Ow ...we have indeed more than one now ....

Just my two cents.

Yes, I don't disagree with that but the idea of suddenly and seemingly to just play down his importance like he's nothing is just... :doh:

Mata is a good player but hes powder puff soft. He is always going to disappear against good aggressive physical sides.

While I don't necessarily disagree with that notion, it would actually help him if the players behind are not weak as well and getting bullied all the time as well. It's not just Mata that has struggled against physical and aggressive sides, like Man City for example. The whole team has basically suffered the same problem. Mata is advanced playmaker that dictate the play in the attacking third. If the players behind him are not aggressive enough and being able to keep the ball efficiently, it's obvious then that Mata would look like he's executing some disappearing act in these days. There needs to be more pro-active play from us rather than passive ones.