Juan Mata

Severinb

I would say Hazard vs Oscar in the middle, Schurrle vs Moses on the left, and KDB vs Mata on the right in stead ;)

So Oscar and KDB on bench? At least one should be starting ahead of either Schurrle or Moses imo.

I would personally say Hazard vs Schurrle on the left, KDB vs. Oscar in the middle and Mata vs. Moses on the right.

No Mata at all in the centre?

I would say:

Hazard vs Schurrle on the left

Oscar vs Mata in the middle

Mata vs KDB on the right

Moses backup to the above 5.

So Oscar and KDB on bench? At least one should be starting ahead of either Schurrle or Moses imo.

No Mata at all in the centre?

I would say:

Hazard vs Schurrle on the left

Oscar vs Mata in the middle

Mata vs KDB on the right

Moses backup to the above 5.

Well yeah, of course Mata will play in the middle, that goes without saying but even if he does start on the right he'll probably dynamically rotate in game with whoever is in the centre but I'd like to see him get started on the right flank if Mourinho can implement that sort of system and get an effective production from him as it gives the likes of Oscar and KDB a chance to really develop more.

Well yeah, of course Mata will play in the middle, that goes without saying but even if he does start on the right he'll probably dynamically rotate in game with whoever is in the centre but I'd like to see him get started on the right flank if Mourinho can implement that sort of system and get an effective production from him as it gives the likes of Oscar and KDB a chance to really develop more.

It'd be nice to see something like a Hazard-KDB-Mata combination then. As KDB seems to have next to no weak foot, those three rotating around would be fucking insane!

It also means KDB could just switch wings with whoever and whip in one of those magical crosses of his.

I would personally say Hazard vs Schurrle on the left, KDB vs. Oscar in the middle and Mata vs. Moses on the right.

Yep, definitely this. De Bruyne can play very well on the right flank too so I'd play him ahead of Moses there if needed but if everyone were limited to just one position, I'd go with your selections.

These sort of options will certainly be a dent to Moses' dream of playing for Barca ^_^

But seriously, so excited to see the destruction our attacking trio's can cause, whoever ends up starting. Exciting times.

Mourinho always likes left footed players on the right.

chelsea- robben

inter - pandev

madrid - dimaria or ozil

So meaning mata will definitely play on the right, with oscar and kdb battling for the center.

Lukaku/Ba

Hazard/schurrle - KDB/Oscar - Mata/KDB/Moses

Vanginkel/lampard/ramires - MIkel/Essien

Mourinho always likes left footed players on the right.

chelsea- robben

inter - pandev

madrid - dimaria or ozil

So meaning mata will definitely play on the right, with oscar and kdb battling for the center.

Lukaku/Ba

Hazard/schurrle - KDB/Oscar - Mata/KDB/Moses

Vanginkel/lampard/ramires - MIkel/Essien

What I would really like to see is 4-3-3. With Oscar, KDB and a DM in the mid. That would be a hell of a midfield. Oscar and KDB seem suited to help defending and they're high energy players, we would have plenty of creativity for attacking purposes and we could press like crazy all game long.

van Ginkel, Schürrle...we do not sign those players to play 4-2-3-1. We will surely be returning to 4-3-3 at some point. It may not fit Mata, but it does fit Ramires, Lamps, KDB, MvG, Mikel better, which in the end is more important. Our best player is not Mata, it is Hazard. Technically he is just as good as Mata but much faster and younger. His as well as Oscar's ceiling is much higher than Mata's. Even though Juan Mata is a brilliant little player, we can and should do better in terms of star man. Mata is a worldclass player, but he won't get any better, Hazard is the future. Hazard has ability to impose himself on any opposition with his speed, Mata will always go missing against strong defenses like Bayern, City, Real, juve.

That's exactly how I feel, but rarely say it myself so I don't sound ungrateful or harsh.

But imo the truth is when Mata came in we were the team parking the bus against strong opposition because our midfield lacked any creativity, power and brilliance. So of course he shined, after all he is quality.

I still believe he is overrated and to say what you said in other words, he isn't big enough to be THE player in a team like Chelsea plans to become. I'm not sure he has much more to grow - to be honest - so his ceiling is probably not much higher than where he is now, while Hazard and Oscar seem to have miles to grow. Out of the three, he's the less brilliant one, but the other two are too young and still have to grow and mature a lot, and let's not forget continue to adapt to EPL.

And the fact that Mourinho seems to hint that he will move him from his undoubtedly best position, shows he might think the same because if he believed Mata was the best player in the team, he wouldn't move him to a position that isn't his favorite (not because of personal preferences, but because of results). I don't expect any less as Mourinho understand football better than any of us. If some of us can see this, Mourinho definitely sees this and more. I have no doubt as the young guns gain confidence, Mata will lose space in the team. It's the obvious thing to happen - unless the young guys like Hazard and Oscar and then Kevin don't progress as everyone expects them to progress (those things aren't completely predictable and some players never live up their potential. I hope that's not the case with those three)

I don't know if people are being selective on Mata and seemingly chosen to focus more on his weaknesses rather than positives. Yes, there is no doubt that Mata's main weaknesses now are his tame physical strength and poor defensive work off the ball BUT these are aspects that he can still improve on, yet I can't understand why the way people have been talking is as if he can't do that. It's not like he has some attitude problem and shown that he can't be helped anymore! Additionally, the thought of some people saying the form Mata shown us last season was his best and he can never get better feels somewhat hilarious. Last season might arguably be his best season ever in his career but is that the best he can offer? No. What he has shown is his astonishing consistency in producing quality assists and attacking play in the final third but there is still more to his locker in that attacking play aspect.

What Mata did for us last season was great especially when you consider we can't even retain possession to save our lives and constantly retreated to defend first and when he did get on the back, we saw how great it can be. Imagine if we can fix our midfield problems, keep the ball like 80% of the time in match especially against the lesser sides and be more aggressive on the ball, what can kind of crazy damage can Mata do on the opposition working with the likes of Hazard, Schurrle, Oscar, KDB etc? You have people banging about how Mourinho's return will improve this player, improve that player but when it comes to somebody like Mata, it's suddenly all negative thinking and having thought he won't get any better than what he has shown so far. Hilarious.

And seriously, I don't know if people have been well and truly spoilt by watching too much of Hazard or players like him who is flashy on the ball, has the flicks and tricks that has caused some people to seemingly devalue Mata all of a sudden and this is a similar situation with Oscar. Granted Mata may not be like Hazard when he's on the ball, the ability to run at pace with the ball at oppositions' players, dribble past people etc but there seem to be an issue of people not appreciating the brilliance in simplicity sometimes.

You just further prove my point with this post. In a team there had huge midfield deficiencies and then two adapting players, Mata rose above all, but really, his ceiling isn't this high thing you seem to imagine. Nobody here - as far as I can say - thinks he's done in his growth,but just like every other 25yo player that there isn't that much left to improve. He will improve in things like the ones you mentioned, of course he will, every player working under Mourinho does, otherwise they visit the bench. But there's a reason players the same age as him had chances in Spain NT where he continues to be a reserve. And when VDB tried to use him in the starting XI against Brazil, he was one of the most useless players in the match... He did basically nothing for Spain and the team improved when Navas got in.

Which comes back to the point that against big teams with good defenses he tends to disappear because while being a hard worker, and consistent in his play, he isn't what I would call brilliant. Great yes, but not brilliant and that's my point since the beginning. Chelsea fans - on their majority - for the lack of a star in the midfield - made Mata seem much bigger than he really is. In teams with good midfielders he would never be THE player. Just the next great guy contributing to it. So according to your own post he needs better teammates to reach a certain level, whereas brilliant players are the ones that reverse a negative situation, by owing a zone in the pitch (and in rare cases even the whole team) and making a difference. So yeah.

Note that I don't think he's bad, far from it. But when you see the very top teams and see who their stars are and you compare them to Mata, you see the point Magic Lamps was trying to make.

We already won every title that is there to win. We don't have to prove we can. Now we have to prove we can be as big as teams like Real Madrid, Bayern, Barcelona and Manchester United. In teams like those Mata wouldn't ever be the main star. Ever. But he would be one of their key players, which I think is what he'll become to us.

And I personally am not looking for a flashy player. Oscar has a higher ceiling than Mata imo and it doesn't get less flashy than Oscar...

Mou seems to def like the idea of Mata on the right which means more of Oscar in the middle :)

That's because Mourinho - better than any of us here - knows where there's more potential. I think in a year from now both Oscar and Kevin will threaten Mata's position in the team - if they continue to grow as expected (the three of them).

That's exactly how I feel, but rarely say it myself so I don't sound ungrateful or harsh.

But imo the truth is when Mata came in we were the team parking the bus against strong opposition because our midfield lacked any creativity, power and brilliance. So of course he shined, after all he is quality.

I still believe he is overrated and to say what you said in other words, he isn't big enough to be THE player in a team like Chelsea plans to become. I'm not sure he has much more to grow - to be honest - so his ceiling is probably not much higher than where he is now, while Hazard and Oscar seem to have miles to grow. Out of the three, he's the less brilliant one, but the other two are too young and still have to grow and mature a lot, and let's not forget continue to adapt to EPL.

And the fact that Mourinho seems to hint that he will move him from his undoubtedly best position, shows he might think the same because if he believed Mata was the best player in the team, he wouldn't move him to a position that isn't his favorite (not because of personal preferences, but because of results). I don't expect any less as Mourinho understand football better than any of us. If some of us can see this, Mourinho definitely sees this and more. I have no doubt as the young guns gain confidence, Mata will lose space in the team. It's the obvious thing to happen - unless the young guys like Hazard and Oscar and then Kevin don't progress as everyone expects them to progress (those things aren't completely predictable and some players never live up their potential. I hope that's not the case with those three)

You just further prove my point with this post. In a team there had huge midfield deficiencies and then two adapting players, Mata rose above all, but really, his ceiling isn't this high thing you seem to imagine. Nobody here - as far as I can say - thinks he's done in his growth,but just like every other 25yo player that there isn't that much left to improve. He will improve in things like the ones you mentioned, of course he will, every player working under Mourinho does, otherwise they visit the bench. But there's a reason players the same age as him had chances in Spain NT where he continues to be a reserve. And when VDB tried to use him in the starting XI against Brazil, he was one of the most useless players in the match... He did basically nothing for Spain and the team improved when Navas got in.

Which comes back to the point that against big teams with good defenses he tends to disappear because while being a hard worker, and consistent in his play, he isn't what I would call brilliant. Great yes, but not brilliant and that's my point since the beginning. Chelsea fans - on their majority - for the lack of a star in the midfield - made Mata seem much bigger than he really is. In teams with good midfielders he would never be THE player. Just the next great guy contributing to it. So according to your own post he needs better teammates to shine, whereas brilliant players are the ones that reverse a negative situation, by owing a zone in the pitch (and in rare cases even the whole team) and making a difference. So yeah.

Note that I don't think he's bad, far from it. But when you see the very top teams and see who their stars are and you compare them to Mata, you see the point Magic Lamps was trying to make.

We already won every title that is there to win. We don't have to prove we can. Now we have to prove we can be as big as teams like Real Madrid, Bayern, Barcelona and Manchester United. In teams like those Mata wouldn't ever be the main star. Ever. But he would be one of their key players, which I think is what he'll become to us.

And I personally am not looking for a flashy player. Oscar has a higher ceiling than Mata imo and it doesn't get less flashy than that...

That's because Mourinho - better than any of us here - knows where there's more potential. I think in a year from now both Oscar and Kevin will threaten Mata's position in the team - if they continue to grow as expected (the three of them).

Actually, if not for David Luiz's out-of-the-world saving, the only goal Spain would have scored would have come with his good assist to Pedro.

Actually, if not for David Luiz's out-of-the-world saving, the only goal Spain would have scored would have come with his good assist to Pedro.

I know he had a good assist, but Spain as a team in that moment was nowhere to be found... whereas they were closer to their usual in the second half.

If we are going to discuss isolate goals instead of looking to a whole match, then we miss the point. Is Chelsea plan to continue to be the team that because of one good play - like Drogba's goal against Bayern - win titles? Or do we want to be a powerhouse?

That's exactly the point, Dion. If a player like Mata is expected to give one good assist in a whole match in such an important match, then we should continue to be the team we are today. And that's the point. Do we want to take one final step and be in the same level as those teams I mentioned in the previous post. Or are we happy to continue to be the team that from time to time will really challenge them? There's no problem in being the latter. But I think Roman's plans are more ambitious than that. But maybe I'm wrong.

I know he had a good assist, but Spain as a team in that moment was nowhere to be found... whereas they were closer to their usual in the second half.

If we are going to discuss isolate goals instead of looking to a whole match, then we miss the point. Is Chelsea plan to continue to be the team that because of one good play - like Drogba's goal against Bayern - win titles? Or do we want to be a powerhouse?

That's exactly the point, Dion. If a player like Mata is expected to give one good assist in a whole match in such an important match, then we should continue to be the team we are today.

Sometimes a single moment of brilliance is what wins you a match. If Spain was nowhere to be found but Mata could still give a teammate a golden opportunity to score almost single-handedly (he starts the play, with a one-two with Torres, makes the run, brings all the defenders to himself and pass to Pedro who was totally unmarked), you really can't say he doesn't make an impact. There are few players in the world who could have done that.

Not to say I disagree with everything you said, I just think you are unfair showcasing Spain's game. He didn't play badly by any means. If anything, I thought he was one of the standouts.

Not to say I disagree with everything you said, I just think you are unfair showcasing Spain's game. He didn't play badly by any means. If anything, I thought he was one of the standouts.

I agree about not showcasing that match. It's a NT match and that isn't fair... even Messi and Ronaldo failed in NT more than we should count (although for different reasons than Mata did).

That said, I rewatched the match just last week, I can't for the life of me point Mata as one of the standouts. Just an opinion though.

The point remains, in a time like the powerhouses in football Mata would never be their main star, although would of course be a valuable and key player. My whole point is about overrating him, not dismissing him. I don't expect even 10% of Chelsea fans to agree with me. After all I'm stating he is overrated :lol: which means people think he's much better than I think he is ;)

edit: @The Skipper, I'm not embarrassed at all. I just think it doesn't compare to what the big guns in football have...

It's hard to try to make a point about perception. I think he's great... just not as great as most Chelsea fans think he is. I'm not dismissing the guy. And I guess we are quite the opposite of spoiled. We are in routes to become spoiled, but we aren't spoiled. Not when we look back to last season and see what happened...