Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

These figures are from a Google search and in euros.

113m transfer fee (over five years becomes 22.6m) + 12m yearly = 34.6m in amortisation yearly.

If we sell this summer, his transfer fee crashes in for another 90.4m. I think he goes on another loan with an option to loan with option to buy. 

5 hours ago, Hashishi said:

These figures are from a Google search and in euros.

113m transfer fee (over five years becomes 22.6m) + 12m yearly = 34.6m in amortisation yearly.

If we sell this summer, his transfer fee crashes in for another 90.4m. I think he goes on another loan with an option to loan with option to buy. 

We could time the sale so it moves into the following FFP season at a cost of 67.8 but it's still the same problem.

1 minute ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

We could time the sale so it moves into the following FFP season at a cost of 67.8 but it's still the same problem.

Exactly. The same problem. Noone wants to pay 60 70m for our dregs. Which scares me about the new signings as they are all on long ass contracts. 

On 23/01/2023 at 05:13, Vegetable said:

I wouldn't say Abraham was very reliable striker either, hence he's gone.

And about Laka - well, it was a gamble, as everyone, even here, knew his form is highly sinusoidal and apparently Marina lost the gamble - he went straight to bottom after coming here.

It's still remarkable how horrible he has become after 6 months here. Hasn't looked the same even after going back to Inter.

Never fancied him even before he arrived, but the decline is significant. It's terrible because he won't be in demand.

1 hour ago, Blue Armour said:

It's still remarkable how horrible he has become after 6 months here. Hasn't looked the same even after going back to Inter.

Never fancied him even before he arrived, but the decline is significant. It's terrible because he won't be in demand.

I don't know... he looked very similar to United days for us as he does now. That Inter run was the exception. 

Edited by robsblubot

12 hours ago, robsblubot said:

I don't know... he looked very similar to United days for us as he does now. That Inter run was the exception. 

Because of Conte, remember Conte made Moses look amazing. 

I hope Conte desires to get him because that is our only hope....unless Atletico wants to take a stab at him. 

22 hours ago, Hashishi said:

Exactly. The same problem. Noone wants to pay 60 70m for our dregs. Which scares me about the new signings as they are all on long ass contracts. 

well, we all have to face the fact that it is a possibility that 2022 destroyed as a viable top 10 club in the world for perhaps a decade

IF most off the hugely expensive signings go tits up and we also regularly miss out on European football and then FFP crushes us (we will not have a new stadium unto 2030 at the earliest, so no way for that to bail us out)

we are well fucked

NOT saying that is where we are headed, BUT it is a deffo possibility

Edited by Vesper

Let's get Conte back here, bam, several problems solved at once 😆

4 minutes ago, Vesper said:

(we will not have a new stadium unto 2030 at the earliest, so no way for that to bail us out)

Well, the stadium is billions and with the cost-of-living crisis and process of making us midtable team there's no guarantee increased capacity means increased revenue in 10 years horizon. Who knows, it would be nice to have it, but maybe not investing into building it will not turn out as bad as it seems. 

Edited by Vegetable

6 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

Let's get Conte back here, bam, several problems solved at once 😆

Well, the stadium is billions and with the cost-of-living crisis and process of making us midtable team there's no guarantee increased capacity means increased revenue in 10 years horizon. Who knows, it would be nice to have it, but maybe not investing into building it will not turn out as bad as it seems. 

it would be a disaster to say fuck it, we stick with the old stadium

you do realise that CapEx for our physical plant does NOT count against FFP?

we will be short-changed (via not having a new stadium for revenue) for 500 plus million quid (at a minimum, could be far more) in potential new revenue over a 10 year period

plus it hurts recruiting

1 minute ago, Vesper said:

you do realise that CapEx for our physical plant does NOT count against FFP?

Basically, given it's a Chelsea thing I feel a lot of things can go very wrong with it and uncertain future. 

It still counts towards Clearlake and Boehly's liquidity, given he is throwing dough on several clubs at once and our owners companies are in the industry of making money from shifting money. But you're right of course, stadium is an issue (one of many, unfortunately) and we missed a window when it should have been addressed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/02/2023 at 04:45, Blue Armour said:

I don't even think he's declined, he's the exact same player he's always been.

Only reason it's being so emphasised now is with us and back at Inter he's being asked to play in possesion based systems, which only make his already clear and obvious shortcomings stand out even more.

• 4 weeks later...

Low chance that's his actual age, drop off and decline aren't exactly surprising. 

Get shot of him to whomever, couldn't care, I could see Newcastle taking a punt depending on how Isak fairs.

17 minutes ago, DH1988 said:

Low chance that's his actual age

Stop this shit please.. Every black player who drops form is suspicious being 5 years older? Lukaku was born in Belgium, European Union, in the mid-90s, not in South-Sudan.. 

However, he has been playing regular first-team football since he was like 15(he was top scorer of Belgian league at 16), it’s no wonder if he is finished nearing 30, like Rooney or Fabregas.

I do think the fact he’s been playing first team club and international football for the best part of 15 years maybe is something to consider for how he’s struggling with injuries and fitness now the last couple of years. Maybe. Like Eden also. But Eden never ever looked after himself quite as well/trained as well where as Lukaku is meant to be more meticulous in this side. 

Although it is well noted Rom was too heavy as a kid when he first came here from Anderlecht which I think was something that was addressed and then he had other issues at United. Not sure what the story is now with him and quite frankly, hopefully we get some sort of sale done.

He has only ever really had 2 excellent seasons in his career at big clubs. And he has played for Chelsea, Man Utd and Inter Milan for a total of 6 seasons as an established player. Going to be a big big hit financially. Be lucky to get £50m for him I think, plus clubs know we don’t want him and he doesn’t want us.

Edited by OneMoSalah