Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

10 hours ago, nono said:

He is playing fucking woeful. Low iq, poor first touch, poor hold up play. I'll go into panic if we sign him. 

10 hours ago, Stats said:

Such an overreaction.

I don't agree that Rom has a low IQ. Indeed, I believe it is his relatively high IQ which has helped him make the most of his attributes.

When Rom was 19, I posted to say that his general IQ would help him to accept what he can do, and what he cannot. That acceptance has helped Rom construct a game around his strengths and the good goalscoring record is the result. People should not be blinded by that record however. I predicted in that same post that the 19 year old's technical limitations would always prevent any top level club being satisfied to have him as their leading striker and I think that has been bourne out.

It's clear Rom expected to receive offers last summer from clubs capable of winning the Champions League, but none came. There were rumours about interest from Chelsea, but Everton confirmed that no bids were made.

Some people believe that goals are a striker's function and that if he scores lots of them, that is enough. I've never shared that opinion. Even if Rom gets his move to a top level club I believe it wouldn't be long before that club is back in the market for an upgrade.

On 4/1/2017 at 7:15 PM, The Skipper said:

Lukaku vs. other Top 7 clubs this season:

Liverpool: 0G 0A
Tottenham: 1G 0A
City: 2G 0A
United: 0G 0A
Chelsea: 0G 0A

Total: 3G 0A in 8 appearances

Costa vs. Top 7 clubs this season:

Liverpool: 1G 0A
Tottenham: 0G 1A
City: 1G 1A
United: 0G 0A
Everton: 1G 1A

Total: 3G 3A in 9 appearances.

What's remarkable for Costa is that he's been on 3G 3A since December 2016. We've played Tottenham, Liverpool and Arsenal since in the PL, and he hasn't contributed anything.

I wonder if this record has anything to do with how the teams play? Everton is almost never on the front foot against these teams and aren't very good on the counter either.  Not to mention the guy is 23 not 28

5 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I don't agree that Rom has a low IQ. Indeed, I believe it is his relatively high IQ which has helped him make the most of his attributes.

When Rom was 19, I posted to say that his general IQ would help him to accept what he can do, and what he cannot. That acceptance has helped Rom construct a game around his strengths and the good goalscoring record is the result. People should not be blinded by that record however. I predicted in that same post that the 19 year old's technical limitations would always prevent any top level club being satisfied to have him as their leading striker and I think that has been bourne out.

It's clear Rom expected to receive offers last summer from clubs capable of winning the Champions League, but none came. There were rumours about interest from Chelsea, but Everton confirmed that no bids were made.

Some people believe that goals are a striker's function and that if he scores lots of them, that is enough. I've never shared that opinion. Even if Rom gets his move to a top level club I believe it wouldn't be long before that club is back in the market for an upgrade.

no bids but I bet good money there were inquiries

10 minutes ago, coolhead23 said:

Watching Lukaku's game yesterday which was so frustrating at time ... kept going to the same thing: how come he scored so many goals :carlo: 

I'm starting to think that Lukaku is more of a poacher like Chicharito was? 

6 minutes ago, Fernando said:

I'm starting to think that Lukaku is more of a poacher like Chicharito was? 

Honestly wouldnt compare the 2 in terms of attitude ... maybe yes the poacher angle but looking at Lukaku yesterday you couldnt find any passion ( a 35 yr old Zlatan was more energetic) however with Chicha he's very lively ... 

5 hours ago, coolhead23 said:

Honestly wouldnt compare the 2 in terms of attitude ... maybe yes the poacher angle but looking at Lukaku yesterday you couldnt find any passion ( a 35 yr old Zlatan was more energetic) however with Chicha he's very lively ... 

He was mixed yesterday. He went out wide couple times and beat Rojo with complete ease and just was unlucky with final outcome. He caused them problems with his power and pace. Lukaku defo is not just a poacher. Just look at some of his goals this season.

I still think that Lukaku is one of the best young promising strikers around.  The level that everyone seems to rate him against is that of the finished article.  He's still so young.

If Diego goes in the summer, I'd be happy to bring Lukaku back.  I really get the impression that he WANTS to play for us.  That goes a long way with me.

Andy Carroll scored vs. top teams more often than Drogba did in 2010/2011, but we wouldn't have brought him in if Drogba were to leave, no way.

Perfect example, IMO, seeing as Lukaku and Carroll share 80% of the same qualities, and wouldn't even be a sidestep from Costa, but an obvious downgrade. Costa in a purple-patch is in another league compared to Lukaku in a purple-patch.

Goals mean so much less than people make them out to be. Otherwise Nistelrooy, Inzaghi & Berbatov would be hailed the 3 greatest strikers of our time. All of them were moved on despite still scoring plenty, for good reason. There's only so long you can put up with the consistent frustration a player like Lukaku brings. His style is anti-football. He scores goals, but that's it. No style. A simple-minded player. A could-have-been player. Effective? Sure. But so is Defoe, and Modeste is banging them in in Germany too. I doubt either are desired by any of us though. Why should Lukaku be desired?

It's like being a Formula 1 driver who can drive really fast but has no idea how to turn corners. The top brands will rarely ever sign a one-dimensional sportsman. They'd have to be exceedingly good at that 1 thing they do - better than anyone else around does it - to be considered. Lukaku is not the best goalscorer around. He has far many more flaws too compared to his peers who score the same amount as him.

As great as we are in transitioning between defense and attack, the thought of the freight train that is Lukaku leading our counter attacks is dreamy. 

Just hope Zlatan decides to stay at United because they'll probably be our only competition. Though, with the way they're playing under Koeman he may yet decide to stay at Everton.

Whatever you say about Lukaku and Costa, one thing is clear - Lukaku has very good "header" on the ball, could be even better with time. Not just "header", Diego can't even jump. That is one of his biggest disadvantages, if you ask me. Tall targetman who cannot head the ball into the net for his life.

Also, Lukaku can actually shot outside of the box, decently powerful shot.

Don't know really who I rate higher between the two, maybe Lukaku by a small distance, but would like to se Lukaku in top team to really prove himself, for sure.

Didier Drogba claims Romelu Lukaku has told him about his transfer plans this summer and backs the Everton striker to be a success if he returns to Chelsea.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/04/13/didier-drogba-backs-romelu-lukakus-return-to-chelsea-6571898/#ixzz4e8mpThJY