Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

Why Everyone in Chelsea wants Lukaku? I don't get this hype around him. He performing average against small teams and I didn't even speak about big clubs. Antoine Griezman, Mbappe, Aubamayang are way better and have big iq. We need change our philosophy by buying Target Man powerful strikers. I prefer more slim or weaker strikers then massive Godzillas without technique and terrible passing.

5 minutes ago, Liuxas said:

Why Everyone in Chelsea wants Lukaku? I don't get this hype around him. He performing average against small teams and I didn't even speak about big clubs. Antoine Griezman, Mbappe, Aubamayang are way better and have big iq. We need change our philosophy by buying Target Man powerful strikers. I prefer more slim or weaker strikers then massive Godzillas without technique and terrible passing.

LOL.

How is this a fair comparison? Griezmann, Mbappe and Aubamayang are all better? Sure, maybe. Not definitely. Easy to compare players already playing for big teams, who when they go up against other big teams, have an equal share of the ball, are matched equally and are competitive. Not the same playing for Everton, going into big games knowing you will have 30% possession and could get beat 3, 4 or 5 to nothing. Lukaku has to take all his chances in the big games. These other guys have the benefit of having lots of chances created. 

Lukaku has technique. Also has a terrific IQ. Where is this notion that he isn't a smart player coming from? What is it based on? You don't lead the league in scoring if you don't have good skill or smarts on the pitch. 

1 hour ago, The Skipper said:

Lukaku isn't better than Costa yet - but they are on a similar level. Never forget that Costa lead Atletico to the title in a supposed 2 team league. I've been happy with his development at Everton - he still needs to improve aspects of his game but he's been on the right track. He seems a lot lighter on his feet and honestly isn't a downgrade technically on Costa (even top form Costa). 

He's a Chelsea fan and has unfinished business here. His mentor is Didier. I find myself warming to the idea more and more. First and foremost, he's a flat track bully - scores lots and lots against the smaller teams which is what you need. He has the capability to explode in a match and score 3, 4 goals, which is why he's top scorer ATM. I don't see that with Diego; Lukaku is a much sharper finisher than him. It's his influence in big games I worry about a bit - it's something of a risk. Will he produce in the biggest of biggest games? 

The boy's turning into a man. If he's available for £50/60m, do we take a risk on him? On the boy who's dreamt about conquering Stamford Bridge? I genuinely wouldn't mind. He's a good striker, good enough for us anyway. He still has the possibility to elevate his game too. On his day he can be unstoppable - the real question is whether he can be on his day consistently here. I guess we'll see...

The fact that Didier himself vouches for him is good enough for me. Lifelong Chelsea fan too. Only 23, will only get better, don't know any strikers who peaked at 23 so best is yet to come and he's Golden Boot material already. Big, strong, fast, clinical, ambitious. All the deficiencies he has can be worked on with Conte. I know I have criticized and rejected him before, but honestly I wouldn't mind him rejoining us. This time he would show what he can really do.

5 minutes ago, manpe said:

The fact that Didier himself vouches for him is good enough for me. Lifelong Chelsea fan too. Only 23, will only get better, don't know any strikers who peaked at 23 so best is yet to come and he's Golden Boot material already. Big, strong, fast, clinical, ambitious. All the deficiencies he has can be worked on with Conte. I know I have criticized and rejected him before, but honestly I wouldn't mind him rejoining us. This time he would show what he can really do.

I'm the same. I think my opinion changed on him when I started seeing Didier vouching for him often. Such is my love for the Ivorian. 

3 hours ago, The Skipper said:

Lukaku isn't better than Costa yet - but they are on a similar level. Never forget that Costa lead Atletico to the title in a supposed 2 team league. I've been happy with his development at Everton - he still needs to improve aspects of his game but he's been on the right track. He seems a lot lighter on his feet and honestly isn't a downgrade technically on Costa (even top form Costa). 

He's a Chelsea fan and has unfinished business here. His mentor is Didier. I find myself warming to the idea more and more. First and foremost, he's a flat track bully - scores lots and lots against the smaller teams which is what you need. He has the capability to explode in a match and score 3, 4 goals, which is why he's top scorer ATM. I don't see that with Diego; Lukaku is a much sharper finisher than him. It's his influence in big games I worry about a bit - it's something of a risk. Will he produce in the biggest of biggest games? 

The boy's turning into a man. If he's available for £50/60m, do we take a risk on him? On the boy who's dreamt about conquering Stamford Bridge? I genuinely wouldn't mind. He's a good striker, good enough for us anyway. He still has the possibility to elevate his game too. On his day he can be unstoppable - the real question is whether he can be on his day consistently here. I guess we'll see...

Technique was never an issue for me with him. You have brilliant technical players, lets say Balotelli who despite all their skill never did it on big stage. 

To me all that matters is that whatever they can do they can do it on big stage against top opponents. Diego is rather poor techician, but he was just unplayable in some big games (first city game this season how he cought that ball before scoring or psg goal last year). We all know he is no Aguero, but he showed all his quality in these big games. 

Problem for me with Lukaku is that despite he is ok technician, maybe not great, but in big games he is not even the  half of player he is usualy. 

Ben Arfa who is not a striker tho, he is brilliant dribbler but absolute piss in psg this season. 

You can have all the talent in world, if you cant use it its useless. Many players with less talent who know how to use what they have are alot more valuable. Because they train harder and eventualy it makes them bigger character because they know how hard they tried.

That brings me to second point, Lukaku never looked like serious hard worker to me. He is quite a moody player and plays well when he likes to and if things go south, he doesnt care anymore. Much like Sanchez, but Sanchez still has the work rate. 

Im not entirely convinced by Lukaku, but his technique is the last problem I have with him. Its great that Drogba vouches for him, and its great that he is a big chelsea fan, but he will have to work alot harder if he joins us to become top striker, which Im not so sure will have happy ending. 

He is young tho and Drogba came here when he was 26 after one very good season in Marseille. 

42 minutes ago, BlueLyon said:

Problem for me with Lukaku is that in big games he is not even the  half of player he is usualy. 

I have similar thoughts about him, I mentioned it at length in the post. That's the main question mark - can he translate his dominance vs. smaller teams to the bigger games? 

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2017/2/27/14746272/et-tu-lulu

Found this really good article comparing Lukaku and Costa statistically. Writer is neutral and goes in depth, quite interesting. It was done at end of February though, would have been nice to do it at end of season. take note of last few paragraphs in particular, which conveys how I feel about whole thing better than I could tbh..

'In summary, both of these players seem similar with regard to their talents on the pitch. Costa's the more fierce one, Lukaku has the higher ceiling, both very talented, but both with their flaws'

'to expect him[Lukaku] to not further improve seems to be a naive or biased perspective, as most forwards improve during their prime years'

'Everyone's going to have their own 'perspective', but it's important to not let confirmation bias cloud your judgement, and to properly rate players looking objectively at their talents, their flaws, their abilities, their potentials. It's criminal, I think, to summarily dismiss Lukaku as not being capable of entering our side'