Chelsea Sack Andre Villas-Boas

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got this one off another forum from a Benfica fan who keeps an eye out for both Mourinho and André Villas-Boas. Highlighted my favourite parts.

First of all, I must say that I'm a big fan of André Villas-Boas, not only because we share the first name :lol: but mainly because he teaches his players a type of football I quite admire. I'm going to do (at least try to) a short report on Villas-Boas FC Porto tactic and footie style. Talking about reports, did you know that André used to write his notes on his Blackberry during the time he spent with Mourinho? Gosh, this guy is a perfectionist, he scouted everything he could and wrote complete and accurate notes in his phone!

After this short note I'm going to present you AVB preferred formation:

campinho_Benfica_Porto_2011_11.jpg

I brought this image from a Brazilian site to explain how works AVB 4-3-3 (I know that you can read a tactical board extraordinary well so my job may be not that important at all :P)

Defense: This is the game when Porto won the Portuguese title at Estádio da Luz. As you can see André uses a traditional 4-3-3 concept. Starting with defense, AVB picked Fucile as a right back that time but Sapunaru used to be the number 1 in that spot. Both Fucile and Sapunaru aren't especially good at the offensive department though. Alvaro Pereira has more attacking skills than any other LB or RB at Porto so many many times Otamendi was forced to compensate the left wing while Pereira was in the attacking path.

Midfield: Fernando has been transformed into a box-to-box during AVB time at Porto. While Jesualdo Ferreira used him as a simple MDF, André brought the player into the attacking department making the Brazilian a connection point between defense and attack. Guarin is an warrior in that midfield, a special warrior with good technical skills. João Moutinho is the man responsible to set the pace of the team, the main piece of this chess.

Offense: Falcao is the poacher of the team, the man who's supposed to score, very different from Lisandro Lopez who was more a complete forward, looking for space around the field.

In the wings we have Hulk and Varela. If you play FM you would set them as Inside Forward, coming from the wings to the center and bringing support to the poacher in the middle. Hulk is the prototype of an inside forward. He takes all the action in the right wing since Sapunaru isn't an offensive RB at all. He dribbles into the middle and uses his mid/long range shoot accuracy to cause the pain in opponents defense (oh that gifted left foot!). Varela isn't a shooter at all, he prefers to cross or help Pereira incursions. However he scored some important goals imitating his Brazilain fella.

Game philosophy: After winning Europa League title André Villas-Boas surprised the World by thanking… Pep Guardiola! Why? He said Pep was the man that inspired him. In fact, both coaches are known for their tremendous offensive teams. What you could expect from AVB is an extraordinary attacking style of playing our loved game. Fast, strong and efficient: those are the key words, this is how you can describe AVB style of play. He is very different from Mourinho in this aspect, André is an offensive-minded coach.

Behavior: Some said Mourinho is arrogant, selfish, egocentric, ungentle, etc, etc. AVB won 28 from 30 league games. Two games ended 1-1: at Guimarães and at Alvalade (I was there by the way). What more do this games have in common? Well, André got sent off…

Got this one off another forum from a Benfica fan who keeps an eye out for both Mourinho and André Villas-Boas. Highlighted my favourite parts.

Brilliant analysis by that guy! :clap:

Hulk is the prototype of an inside forward. He takes all the action in the right wing since Sapunaru isn't an offensive RB at all. He dribbles into the middle and uses his mid/long range shoot accuracy to cause the pain in opponents defense (oh that gifted left foot!).

This part I like a lot. This shows me how Sturridge can/should be deployed in our XI.. I'm sure, based on that, he will.

'It is a big, big step and I am confident that I can respond to Chelsea's expectations and we can focus on the four trophies that we have to win. I am pretty much confident that people will like it. This is a new leadership, a new communication, a new way of being, but I think in the end it all ends up in the motivation everyone must feel to continue to win for the club.

'When I was here before it was excellent times. The move from Porto to London was a brave move for Jose [Mourinho] and it was happy times. We won two Premierships after 50 years from Chelsea winning the first championship and it was something massive by that time, it was something that made us very proud.

if he achieves this "but I think in the end it all ends up in the motivation everyone must feel to continue to win for the club." I'm more than happy with him

I hope he never ever uses zeh bat momenteh as excuse :eyebrows:

Villas Boas will conquer Europe - says Academica Cheif

The man who gave Andre Villas-Boas his first job in management has backed the new Chelsea boss to win the Champions League with the west London club.

Villas-Boas is a different kind of leader to Mourinho, but he shares the same capacity to motivate his players. I am very proud of all the successes he has had and of the ones yet to come.

This part is very encouraging :)

Guest justin_3d

Awesome read Kosta!

Can't wait to see what he will do this season. What he will buy and what youngster he will promote to the team.