The English Football Thread

Steve

I don't think they were that lucky this time if I'm honest, against us and Liverpool the luck they had and terrible decisions what went there way was disgraceful.

But if you mean lucky in another way then yeah sure luck was on there side but i wouldn't say it was completely underserved, i heard Young wasn't offside and that was a definite penalty for Evra when Kolo Toure pushed him.

Fair but one can't help to be frustrated by the constant luck that United seems to get in crucial moments during matches. Not just this City one but also the other.

United were the away team and they did what they had to. It's a good result today and a deserved one.

As for the second point, it's very hard to win the league when you rely on scoring one more goal that your opponents. Just ask Keegan.

They've conceded multiple goals to weak teams already and they're vulnerable in midfield. Let's not forget that they threw away the league last season too.

Slightly different in that Keegan's scenario when that team doesn't have the title winning experience and mentality. And yes, United blew that 8-point lead last season but cannot imagine Fergie will let history repeat itself again. Their defence and midfield may be weak but their strikeforce might just be enough to win them games and ultimately the league title. They have been clinical when they get their chances.

• Replies 65.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vesper

• Laylabelle

• Jase

• Special Juan

I completely disagree with your point about Guardiola. I've stated before what I think of him from what I've read and heard about him. Plus Roman views him as 'his guy' so I think we need to focus on getting him. I've recommended it before but there's a great new book on Guardiola by Balague that really does give a good insight into him.

I'd love to hear any recommendations of books or profiles on him that you've used to come to your opinion of him. I've read your posts and I can't imagine you're the type of guy who thinks anyone could have managed Barcelona to the same success. You're way too smart for that.

I also agree with your views on the Glazers' spending and Mourinho, but Ferguson will hold a lot of sway on that appointment and he could influence Mourinho. I think you're totally wrong on the Glazers long-term plan for United. Nothing I've read or heard suggests they aren't bothered about United.

Ultimately I think our own long-term and short-term prospects are best served by City winning the title. I think a United win throws way too many variables into the equation and uncertainty is the last thing we need.

HOW DO YOU KNOW ROMAN VIEWS HIM AS HIS GUY?, ARE YOU ROMANS 2ND MAN OR SOMETHING?. Lets face it you can't have that as a point because you don't know how true it is, it's all paper speculation just because Guardiola is a free agent and probably the best one out of all the managers what are available.

And no mate I'm not that stupid I'm not insisting that anyone can manage Barcelona, because it's a very hard job. However it's also a unique job, one can not deny that managing Barcelona is completely different to managing another club such as Chelsea, because it's a completely different thing, different league, completely different players and football. Going to a club like Chelsea, i don't think Guariola is cut out for it if I'm honest, i also don't think he has proven himself there yet, he's done a fantastic job at Barca which not so many could've done better, but when it comes down to it he's unproven.

Barcelona is a completely different job.

And United fans hate the glazors, they barely show any interest in there club, not like Roman does. Roman is a saint to this club always getting to the games when he can and always putting in a lot of money when he doesn't have to. Glazors have literally drained United, taking more money out then putting in. Believe me if they could dump that club they would.

As for your Mourinho arguement, i don't think i can battle it, because it's just two opinion on it really. Fair enough if you think that's the best thing, however i do think City not winning it this year is a bonus, despite a replacement for Mancini, as I've already explained and you've already explained.

That's why I said "again". He's showed that he has a long way to go to be world-class on numerous occasions.

I know but i just remembered when you went on about Nuer, he made one mistake and then used that as your point for people like me being stupid insisting he is better than Cech.

Umm which Messi, Iniesta, and Xavi are you watching? :blink:

Do you seriously think they were as good then as they are now?

Did you read what i said?, i said that Pep has made good decisions regarding youth, and by youth i meant in his developement with the likes of Messi and being careful about it.

But that doesn't mean anything, it's criminal to say that they wouldn't of became great players if Pep wasn' there.

And does it occur to you that Iniesta hit his prime coming into 27/28 like most footballers?, does it occur to you the type of player Xavi is, the more experience they gain they seem to play a lot better, just likes Paul Scholes for example, and also Messi was only a young one then, that's not really a good arguement at all considering he's still only 24 now, or maybe 25 but still not exactly old, scary thing is Messi might not be in his prime yet.

And does it occur to you that Iniesta hit his prime coming into 27/28 like most footballers?, does it occur to you the type of player Xavi is, the more experience they gain they seem to play a lot better, just likes Paul Scholes for example, and also Messi was only a young one then, that's not really a good arguement at all considering he's still only 24 now, or maybe 25 but still not exactly old, scary thing is Messi might not be in his prime yet.

Iniesta was 24, Xavi was 28, neither were called world class before Pep came in infact Pirlo, Kaka you could even argue Lampard and Gerrard too were all more highly rated than them back then, now comparison's between those four and the two Spaniard's with the possible exception of Pirlo, would get laughed at.

Paul Scholes also didn't start playing better when he got older, it just seemed that way because of how long it took for people to finally give him the credit he deserved and now it's gone too far the other way.

HOW DO YOU KNOW ROMAN VIEWS HIM AS HIS GUY?, ARE YOU ROMANS 2ND MAN OR SOMETHING?. Lets face it you can't have that as a point because you don't know how true it is, it's all paper speculation just because Guardiola is a free agent and probably the best one out of all the managers what are available.

And no mate I'm not that stupid I'm not insisting that anyone can manage Barcelona, because it's a very hard job. However it's also a unique job, one can not deny that managing Barcelona is completely different to managing another club such as Chelsea, because it's a completely different thing, different league, completely different players and football. Going to a club like Chelsea, i don't think Guariola is cut out for it if I'm honest, i also don't think he has proven himself there yet, he's done a fantastic job at Barca which not so many could've done better, but when it comes down to it he's unproven.

Barcelona is a completely different job.

And United fans hate the glazors, they barely show any interest in there club, not like Roman does. Roman is a saint to this club always getting to the games when he can and always putting in a lot of money when he doesn't have to. Glazors have literally drained United, taking more money out then putting in. Believe me if they could dump that club they would.

As for your Mourinho arguement, i don't think i can battle it, because it's just two opinion on it really. Fair enough if you think that's the best thing, however i do think City not winning it this year is a bonus, despite a replacement for Mancini, as I've already explained and you've already explained.

Sorry mate, but it's the biggest open secret in football right now. The club is focused on getting Guardiola.

I disagree with what you've said about Guardiola based on everything I've heard and read about him. He has something about him and I think we're in exactly the right point for him to come in and build something special. But I respect your views. The proof of that particular pudding will be in the eating. :D

I absolutely agree with your view on the Glazer's spending, but United fans have actually cooled in their hatred towards them. You can tell just by the lack of protests and green/yellow scarves at games. The Glazers have also exhibited a bit more commitment to the club but I agree that Roman is ten times the owner. I love his little celebrations. :getin:

And I agree with your last point. My view is that Mourinho is the best manager for winning now which is why he'd be perfect for City. But right now we need a coach who can develop something long-term and I think the best available guy is Pep.

Out of interest, where do you see the managers ending up?

To be honest Rio is an absolute bellend and had something like this coming for a long time with his constant winding up of opposition fans, celebrating in front of them etc. hopefully that will knock the twat a peg down or two

Just something random I've noticed -

When other teams pay money for a player, the transfer fee is what's quoted as them paying.

When we pay money for a player, often these days 'journalists' quote the amount of money that the player would make throughout their whole contract while playing for us and not the transfer fee.

If Manchester United want to buy Bony, it's - "Manchester United to pay £10mil for Bony."

If we want to buy him, it's - "Chelsea to pay £48m for Bony."

blah blah blah.

It just annoys me.

I didn't say that but calling them a shadow of what they used to be is just... ridiculous. Just watch Euro 2012 all over again.

I didn't i said they were a shadow (under Rijkaard) compared to what Pep has turned them into.

To be honest Rio is an absolute bellend and had something like this coming for a long time with his constant winding up of opposition fans, celebrating in front of them etc. hopefully that will knock the twat a peg down or two

Rio's a massive twat but no player deserves that. It was disgusting.

The fan who threw a coin at ferdinand should be banned and set an example of, when will city learn that you can't solve your problems by throwing money at it.

I'm pretty sure he accidently punched himself in the face trying to take off his shirt in celebration.

Sorry mate, but it's the biggest open secret in football right now. The club is focused on getting Guardiola.

I disagree with what you've said about Guardiola based on everything I've heard and read about him. He has something about him and I think we're in exactly the right point for him to come in and build something special. But I respect your views. The proof of that particular pudding will be in the eating. :D

I absolutely agree with your view on the Glazer's spending, but United fans have actually cooled in their hatred towards them. You can tell just by the lack of protests and green/yellow scarves at games. The Glazers have also exhibited a bit more commitment to the club but I agree that Roman is ten times the owner. I love his little celebrations. :getin:

And I agree with your last point. My view is that Mourinho is the best manager for winning now which is why he'd be perfect for City. But right now we need a coach who can develop something long-term and I think the best available guy is Pep.

Out of interest, where do you see the managers ending up?

Well fair enough then, and i think Mancini will still be at City, i can still see them winning the league this season. I think Mourinho will stay at Madrid for another season or two, and i think Pep will end up here after Benitez, however i always had this strange vision of Pep being Spain manager.

But anyway all i can say is i hope you're damn right about it, because if Pep does come which does look likely considering the options of managers available, i just hope he's good. I have my doubts about him, the English game is completely different you have to remember, fouls are also more expectable which would be a huge disadvantage to Guardiola straight away if he is to enforce the same system he had at Barca.