The English Football Thread

Steve

No Barca are very shaky at the back, that's because they don't play decent teams in the La Liga, when they play a good team they always concede a lot, however they score more.

The reason they don't concede so much is because they attack that much and don't give the ball away. But it's starting to show that Maschenaro isn't a centre back, he's made quite a lot of mistakes there.

But don't Real Madrid play the same teams? Surely you'd expect Mourinho's team to concede fewer goals than Guardiola's?

What you're essentially saying is that they don't have a proper centre-back, attack a lot and play the same teams as Mourinho....yet they still concede less than him?

I'm not trying to have a pop but I simply think the facts and reality don't support your belief. Am I reading the stats wrong or misinterpreting them?

• Replies 65.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vesper

• Laylabelle

• Jase

• Special Juan

That's a shame, to be honest we were the best under Mourinho, our defensive record was unbelievable.

I like having a good defence, a nice composed style of play and dominent, rather than fancy flick passes and fancy skills. I like to have a good control of the game and every team worrying about us when they are to play us.

Same.

I was so proud when commentators/pundits would talk about our strength and power as a team to absolutely boss a game. We were able to outmuscle just about anyone. The beauty of it was, we were also able to pass it around when needed. The perfect balance.

Now I look at our team and it's full of...not the strongest of players let's say. Makes me pine for the old days a bit! But 'c'est la vie'.

Am I reading the stats wrong or misinterpreting them?

Yes!

Barcelona used to play against opponents 110% behind the ball. Inter made everyone think they would be able to score a miracle goals while defending with 10 men. Real Madrid was losing everything and oppositons thought they had a better chance, so they actually played the games. Also, last season, the goals RM conceded were usually when they were already winning, while Barça had inumerous comebacks.

Last season, Barcelona lost the title because of their horrible defense!

Yes!

Barcelona used to play against opponents 110% behind the ball. Inter made everyone think they would be able to score a miracle goals while defending with 10 men. Real Madrid was losing everything and oppositons thought they had a better chance, so they actually played the games.

Yes!

Barcelona used to play against opponents 110% behind the ball. Inter made everyone think they would be able to score a miracle goals while defending with 10 men. Real Madrid was losing everything and oppositons thought they had a better chance, so they actually played the games.

But why did those teams defend deep against Barca? Never heard the phrase 'attack is the best form of defence'?

People talk about media bullshit regarding stories about Guardiola, but they're quite happy to indulge in these little urban myths about his teams. I just think it helps with good debate if people are a little more objective/honest about certain things.

But why did those teams defend deep against Barca? Never heard the phrase 'defence is the best form of attack'?

People talk about media bullshit regarding stories about Guardiola, but they're quite happy to indulge in these little urban myths about his teams. I just think it helps with good debate if people are a little more objective/honest about certain things.

What are you talking about? Are you using a popular saying as an argument? Do you watch La Liga?

WTF, I cant belive I will have to argue on the topic of Bracelona being great defensively because they had a better defensive record in Liga BBVA!

Teams play differently against different opponents, Barcelona`s center backs are the only issue that bothers the whole city. They couldnt win vs Hercules at Camp Nou, conceded vs a 10 men Chelsea, always conceding in setpieces (specially in the derby), etc.

But don't Real Madrid play the same teams? Surely you'd expect Mourinho's team to concede fewer goals than Guardiola's?

What you're essentially saying is that they don't have a proper centre-back, attack a lot and play the same teams as Mourinho....yet they still concede less than him?

I'm not trying to have a pop but I simply think the facts and reality don't support your belief. Am I reading the stats wrong or misinterpreting them?

If you watch Barcelona you will know what i mean, did you watch us play them last season?, we scored two goals at their own stadium with 10 men. Real Madrid usually score 2-3 goals against them on average per match. And Madrid are having a off season, Ronaldo still not happy there and still not scoring as much goals as he usually does, they also finished 2nd in there group.

And did you see what i said that Barca rarely give the ball away?.

The fact is Barca are another level to Madrid, the only thing Madrid can hope for is that they drop silly points, and they dropped stupid points last season and Madrid took advantage.

Mesage to united: just fuck off! i cant stand them at all,, last second free-kick where do they come up with this!? (watched up to 70thmin)

also,, WHU doing work vs Liverpool. Diame-been watching him more closely after he singly handedly took us down last week.

What are you talking about? Are you using a popular saying as an argument? Do you watch La Liga?

Actually I'm incorrectly using a popular saying. :blush:

But yes, I watch La Liga.

If you watch Barcelona you will know what i mean, did you watch us play them last season?, we scored two goals at their own stadium with 10 men. Real Madrid usually score 2-3 goals against them on average per match. And Madrid are having a off season, Ronaldo still not happy there and still not scoring as much goals as he usually does, they also finished 2nd in there group.

And did you see what i said that Barca rarely give the ball away?.

The fact is Barca are another level to Madrid, the only thing Madrid can hope for is that they drop silly points, and they dropped stupid points last season and Madrid took advantage.

I did see us play Barca. If we're being honest, 9 out of 10 times we'd probably lose that match over two legs but we were heroic on the day. We had to bring our absolute best to beat them and when you can set up a team like that, then you're going to have some success.

Same.

I was so proud when commentators/pundits would talk about our strength and power as a team to absolutely boss a game. We were able to outmuscle just about anyone. The beauty of it was, we were also able to pass it around when needed. The perfect balance.

Now I look at our team and it's full of...not the strongest of players let's say. Makes me pine for the old days a bit! But 'c'est la vie'.

What pains me most about our team is how weak the midfield is, people expect great things from Mikel and reckon he's the best DM in the league lmao.

The reality is Mikel couldn't get in any other team what competes for top 4. Ramires is a good player but we don't know how long that will last as his game relies on pace.

The dude in your avatar is one of the greatest midfielders we've ever had, and the funny thing is some people on this forum reckons Mikel has potential to match his level.