The English Football Thread

Steve

3 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Top 4 is not enough. We achieved that last season. And now we have 6 new starters! 

Comfortably finishing Top 4 was the bare minimum but with the way this season is panning out simply finishing Top 4 is the goal. It's December and 6 points separates 1st and 8th. 

• Replies 65.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vesper

• Laylabelle

• Jase

• Special Juan

31 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

It is only sheffield guys. Every team plays wc against sheffield. That is why they have 1 point

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

manure

6 away wins on the bounce

all come from behind

first time ever in the EPL

Dominic Szoboszlai transfer confirmed as Arsenal miss out on highly-rated Salzburg star

The Hungarian midfielder has been tipped as an emerging star of European football, and having shone in Austria with FC Salzburg, he has moved to the Bundesliga with sister club RB Leipzig

43 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Not for me. 

That's like Arsenal fans saying staying in the league is the goal for Arteta. 

Put it this way - if we don't win the title, then a Top 4 finish every season is a must. We shouldn't be celebrating it but that should be a bare minimum for a club like us. Can't be yo-yo-ing between being in the Top 4 and being outside the Top 4.

As for this season, I suppose everyone is free to have their own expectations but at the same time, there's a case of expecting far too much, having unrealistic expectations and then being disappointed because of those unrealistic expectations in the first place.

8 hours ago, Jason said:

Put it this way - if we don't win the title, then a Top 4 finish every season is a must. We shouldn't be celebrating it but that should be a bare minimum for a club like us. Can't be yo-yo-ing between being in the Top 4 and being outside the Top 4.

As for this season, I suppose everyone is free to have their own expectations but at the same time, there's a case of expecting far too much, having unrealistic expectations and then being disappointed because of those unrealistic expectations in the first place.

Thats it. We're not winning the league so top 4 finish be fine..for me I'd be happy with a Top 4 finish but a comfy one not the whole if win this game and others lose this game this happens blah.

Manchester United is an example how not to build a team. The pieces does not fit and in order for them to be great, so many unlikely thing need to happen. 

After the break they were considered to be the best team in epl. But that require pogba to be discipline, matic to turn back clock, martial to be top class cf. 

9 hours ago, Laylabelle said:

Thats it. We're not winning the league so top 4 finish be fine..for me I'd be happy with a Top 4 finish but a comfy one not the whole if win this game and others lose this game this happens blah.

We're on pace for 64 points. Unless there will be the same shithousery like last season where LEI shit the bed, UTD suck for half their games, etc. we're in for a bigger battle than last season.

1 hour ago, DANILA said:

We're on pace for 64 points. Unless there will be the same shithousery like last season where LEI shit the bed, UTD suck for half their games, etc. we're in for a bigger battle than last season.

And thats not good enough imo, we should not be fighting for our lives to get top 4....no way.

The Telegraph

Friday December 18 2020

Football Nerd

Wolves go 83 goals without an Englishman finding the net — but which team holds the record?

By Ben Bloom

Perhaps you didn't realise the significance of the Wolves victory over Chelsea on Tuesday night. No, not for Chelsea — but for the statisticians.

Because by scoring the dramatic late winner, Pedro Neto took Wolves to 83 goals without a contribution from an English player.

Nuno Espirito Santo's Portuguese revolution in Wolverhampton has been well documented, but the goals have also come from Belgium, Spain, Republic of Ireland, Morocco, France and Italy.

As I've explained in this week's Football Nerd, what is even more extraordinary is that despite this streak, the club are not yet half way to matching the all-time record run of goals by imported players.

Want more sport in your inbox? Sign up to receive our Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal newsletters

Have a great Christmas

The Football Nerd is taking a break over the Christmas period. We'll be back on January 8.

A Telegraph Sport subscription is only £1 a week, or £40 for 12 months

The best of this week's coverage

spurs-early_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqg5ozdfdQpD

Analysis: How Liverpool's win over Tottenham so nearly went perfectly to plan for both managers

43BF6A0859EB38FA1A2A8FBBC1331982.gif
TELEMMGLPICT000246758710_trans_NvBQzQNjv

Jamie Carragher: Father figure, mentor, friend — Gerard Houllier was the rock behind my Liverpool career

TELEMMGLPICT000246772951_trans_NvBQzQNjv

Jim White: Patrice Evra broke football's omerta in revealing Thierry Henry story to give a rare glimpse into the unseen

TELEMMGLPICT000234837676_trans_NvBQzQNjv

Man Utd v Leeds: The inside story of English football's most toxic rivalry

TELEMMGLPICT000246904682_trans_NvBQzQNjv

Bilic exclusive: 'I realised on the coach back from Manchester City that I was being sacked'

This week's screamer

"The fact is, as he never tires of telling anyone who will listen, he has never been relegated"

Jim White laments the arrival of Sam Allardyce at West Brom

This week's best stat

Number of substitutions allowed in an FA cup match under a combination of proposed rule changes to ease player burnout and concussion risk across football.

The week in a picture

F110A35D7E1B1E8FB72FA02750FF5C8B.jpg

CREDIT: JUSTIN SETTERFIELD/AFP

West Ham's Sebastien Haller scores with a spectacular overhead kick to rescue a point against Crystal Palace on Wednesday night.