• Replies 65.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vesper

• Laylabelle

• Jase

• Special Juan

Thanks Liverpool.Now can go back to being crap and dont play like that against us.Huge chance for us but seeing as its so up and down of late...better not mess this up...again

West Ham should be straight forward.Then again Burnley was meant to be and QPR and we only just won that.Tough tough being a derby as well..eeel

A couple more results go our way and we might have the title wrapped up before they visit. Imagine them having to clap us on to the pitch?

Just dont get why we play them end of every season.The thought them winning urgh after last year never hear the end of it.Bored of the twists in this title race lol dont care if makes it exciting for neutrals blah blah just stright forward from here be ideal

Wonder who's more stubborn between Pellegrini and Wenger. Started with 4-4-2, changed to 4-2-3-1 when Liverpool were overrunning them and then switched back to 4-4-2 after conceding. :doh: Pellegrini's persistence to play with 4-4-2 in the big games is ridiculous and not to mention, it's funny how he didn't really attempt to play two up top when they came to the Bridge.

Wonder who's more stubborn between Pellegrini and Wenger. Started with 4-4-2, changed to 4-2-3-1 when Liverpool were overrunning them and then switched back to 4-4-2 after conceding. :doh: Pellegrini's persistence to play with 4-4-2 in the big games is ridiculous and not to mention, it's funny how he didn't really attempt to play two up top when they came to the Bridge.

Atletico Madrid play 4-4-2 all the time and are the most solid team in Europe. I'm not sure why so much credence is given to simply the formation.

Atletico Madrid play 4-4-2 all the time and are the most solid team in Europe. I'm not sure why so much credence is given to simply the formation.

I'm not but in Manchester City's case, they are not exactly the most hardworking and tactically disciplined of teams to begin with. So, to consistently play 4-4-2 against the bigger sides, especially in Europe, is ridiculous particularly when Pellegrini doesn't look to have drilled his players in any way for the matches.

I'm not but in Manchester City's case, they are not exactly the most hardworking and tactically disciplined of teams to begin with. So, to consistently play 4-4-2 against the bigger sides, especially in Europe, is ridiculous particularly when Pellegrini doesn't look to have drilled his players in any way for the matches.

A midfield of Toure, Silva and Nasri with Aguero and Dzeko ahead of them is not exactly the most hardworking team in the world, true. I understand the thinking behind it though. It's not easy for a player like Aguero to play up front on his own because of his size. He's a better player with a partner.

But in the 2nd half, it has to be said, Pellegrini brought on Milner for Dzeko and they looked far worse. Against Barcelona last season, they played a 4-2-3-1 in both legs and still got outclassed twice. They've also beaten many strong teams with a 4-4-2 before.

The point is, it's not about the formation but about the personnel and a lack of a more conservative approach from Pellegrini sometimes, not 4-4-2, 4-3-3 or whatever.

A midfield of Toure, Silva and Nasri with Aguero and Dzeko ahead of them is not exactly the most hardworking team in the world, true. I understand the thinking behind it though. It's not easy for a player like Aguero to play up front on his own because of his size. He's a better player with a partner.

Maybe but Aguero isn't exactly a one-trick pony. He has played as the lone striker before and done well. Play the ball to his feet, make him work the channels and have the likes of Silva, Milner etc link up with him.

But in the 2nd half, it has to be said, Pellegrini brought on Milner for Dzeko and they looked far worse. Against Barcelona last season, they played a 4-2-3-1 in both legs and still got outclassed twice. They've also beaten many strong teams with a 4-4-2 before.

The point is, it's not about the formation but about the personnel and a lack of a more conservative approach from Pellegrini sometimes, not 4-4-2, 4-3-3 or whatever.

Not sure about City looking worse after going just 1 upfront because nothing appeared to change really. They were still getting outplayed and outrun by a side who only returned from Turkey on Friday.

City have beaten many strong teams with 4-4-2 before but most came in domestic matches and not in Europe. Even then, they have never looked solid at all with that and this season, more teams are taking advantage of their deficiencies.

Agree that formations are more about how one sets up the side but for starters, playing with an extra man midfielder could prevent City from being overrun in midfield.

Maybe but Aguero isn't exactly a one-trick pony. He has played as the lone striker before and done well. Play the ball to his feet, make him work the channels and have the likes of Silva, Milner etc link up with him.

Not sure about City looking worse after going just 1 upfront because nothing appeared to change really. They were still getting outplayed and outrun by a side who only returned from Turkey on Friday.

City have beaten many strong teams with 4-4-2 before but most came in domestic matches and not in Europe. Even then, they have never looked solid at all with that and this season, more teams are taking advantage of their deficiencies.

Agree that formations are more about how one sets up the side but for starters, playing with an extra man midfielder could prevent City from being overrun in midfield.

If City changed their formation from 4-4-2 to a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, it won't make a lick of a difference whether domestically or in Europe, case in point, vs Barcelona last season. They still got outclassed and overrun in midfield. This same core of players also failed in Europe under Mancini and he never played a 4-4-2. What was the excuse back then? It's just funny to me how much weight is being given to a mere formation by some of these terrible pundits.

And I never said Aguero was a one trick pony. It's a well known fact he's a better player with a partner.

If City changed their formation from 4-4-2 to a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, it won't make a lick of a difference whether domestically or in Europe, case in point, vs Barcelona last season. They still got outclassed and overrun in midfield. This same core of players also failed in Europe under Mancini and he never played a 4-4-2. What was the excuse back then? It's just funny to me how much weight is being given to a mere formation by some of these terrible pundits.

To say City got outclassed by Barcelona last season is OTT. There was nothing in the game, especially in the first leg, and it all only changed when Demichelis got the red card. And if I remember correctly, Pellegrini played with just one upfront at Bayern last season and did alright and they only lost the game to a last minute goal.

And I never said Aguero was a one trick pony. It's a well known fact he's a better player with a partner.

Doesn't mean he can't do a good job playing as the lone strike.

To say City got outclassed by Barcelona last season is OTT. There was nothing in the game, especially in the first leg, and it all only changed when Demichelis got the red card. And if I remember correctly, Pellegrini played with just one upfront at Bayern last season and did alright and they only lost the game to a last minute goal.

Over the two legs they got outclassed. Barcelona were dominating the game prior to the red card. City were extremely poor in that 1st leg but were slightly better in Barcelona, I remember that clearly. That was all 4-2-3-1 not 4-4-2, but nobody in the media was moaning about the shape back then. I just find it a very surface level analysis and even a cop out for some of City's big name players. It was the same under Mancini, but no one was moaning about the formation back then cos he never played 4-4-2 and they still got out-classed. i.e http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/667761/Live/Europe-UEFA-Champions-League-2012-2013-Ajax-Manchester-City

Over the two legs they got outclassed. Barcelona were dominating the game prior to the red card. City were extremely poor in that 1st leg but were slightly better in Barcelona, I remember that clearly.

But hardly created anything meaningful. Things were always going to be different in the second leg when City needed to overturn the 2-0 deficit.

That was all 4-2-3-1 not 4-4-2, but nobody in the media was moaning about the shape back then. I just find it a very surface level analysis and even a cop out for some of City's big name players. It was the same under Mancini, but no one was moaning about the formation back then cos he never played 4-4-2 and they still got out-classed. i.e http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/667761/Live/Europe-UEFA-Champions-League-2012-2013-Ajax-Manchester-City

The mentality and the way that team is set up. Mancini was too cautious and Pellegrini is almost too gung-ho-ish. No balance.

The mentality and the way that team is set up. Mancini was too cautious and Pellegrini is almost too gung-ho-ish. No balance.

So now is it formation (4-4-2) or mentality? Because Mancini played a different formation and had a far more conservative approach than Pellegrini, but still got outclassed in Europe.