The English Football Thread

Steve

You're comparing 4 seasons Nedved had at Lazio to the 13 Frank played with us?!

Nedved at Lazio was no where near the legend and cult hero like he was at Juve and certainly not like Frank was here. The mere comparison is ridiculous.

And if you know anything about the relation of Nedved with Juve and the fans you'll certainly know that he does not need to make up stories to "suck up to the fans" because he already is a god to every Juve fan. The statement, btw, was in his autobiography and not some random thing he said to the media.

And the final sentence is obviously not true. There have been A LOT of players who move countries or even retire entirely to preserve their status with the fans. Nedved and Del Pierro are just two examples. Carragher, Scholes, Ashley Cole and Didier recently for us...etc.

I'm not the one who made the comparison, just pointing out that Nedved shouldn't be used as the best example for loyalty. And how do you know he wasn't looked up by the Lazio fans? He was their best player of their star studded team which beat Juventus to the Scudetto in 2000 in the final day of the season. I can imagine it was a big deal for the Lazio fans.

For all the players you've mentioned that was their best career choice at the time. Which team in Italy would want a 40 y.o Del Piero and pay him ridiculous wages in the same time? Similar things could be said about the others. I can't be sure what offers did they have but at least they probably weren't good enough in order to be worth facing the backlash and criticism from the media.

• Replies 65.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vesper

• Laylabelle

• Jase

• Special Juan

Last season many on here were routinely giving Frank stick. Complaining about how slow he is, how he always miss-times his tackles, that the money the club is using to pay him would be better served on a younger player. People were constantly saying how we need to "put sentimentality aside and hand over the reigns to the younger generation"and that Frank's time is over. There's nothing wrong with these comments but it never ceases to amaze me how some fans demand loyalty from players when they themselves show none and on top of that the same people who were ready to cast Frank aside for someone younger are the same people who now have the temerity to call him selfish. I'm I missing something?

In football, all parties are motivated by their own self interests - the clubs, the players, and yes even the fans. So don't give me that nonsense about loyalty. Where was your own loyalty to the player? Fans have such a false sense of entitlement and they hold players to ridiculous rules that are so devoid of reality. It's really quite laughable.

Absolutely agree.

I was among those saying we needed to improve our midfield, I support the club letting him go and I don't have a problem with his choices because we've made ours.

Also, the Saints were rolling over way before his goal, but still some here will say Lamps won them the match that was already won...

Whatever

Absolutely agree.

I was among those saying we needed to the our midfield, I support the club letting him go and I don't have a problem with his choices because we've made ours.

Also, the Saints were rolling over way before his goal, but still some here will say Lamps won them the match that was already won...

Whatever

Pretty much yeah.Plus they were already in front at that point anyway but you know..we loose the league its his fault nothing to do our performances and points we drop etc

I'm not the one who made the comparison, just pointing out that Nedved shouldn't be used as the best example for loyalty.

Yes you are. Mak made the comparison of Frank's time here to Nedved's 8 seasons at Juve. You made the comparison to Nedved's 4 seasons at Lazio which makes less than zero sense, tbh.

And how do you know he wasn't looked up by the Lazio fans? He was their best player of their star studded team which beat Juventus to the Scudetto in 2000 in the final day of the season. I can imagine it was a big deal for the Lazio fans.

Because he only spent 4 seasons there at the start of his career. His prime was at Juve where he was one of the best players in the world. He has absolute divine status with the fans.

For all the players you've mentioned that was their best career choice at the time. Which team in Italy would want a 40 y.o Del Piero and pay him ridiculous wages in the same time? Similar things could be said about the others. I can't be sure what offers did they have but at least they probably weren't good enough in order to be worth facing the backlash and criticism from the media.

Of course no one from Italy offered Del Piero a deal, the mere offer would be an insult! Read my post again, I was talking about the Liverpool offer which he declined because of the Heysel disaster. And of course Scholes would have had tens of offers if he told his agent that he wants to continue playing, just look how much he offered united when he came out of retirement. You don't think Ash and Drogba had offers in England? You don't think it would have been much easier for them to stay where they have lived a large part of their lives?

Last season many on here were routinely giving Frank stick. Complaining about how slow he is, how he always miss-times his tackles, that the money the club is using to pay him would be better served on a younger player. People were constantly saying how we need to "put sentimentality aside and hand over the reigns to the younger generation"and that Frank's time is over. There's nothing wrong with these comments but it never ceases to amaze me how some fans demand loyalty from players when they themselves show none and on top of that the same people who were ready to cast Frank aside for someone younger are the same people who now have the temerity to call him selfish. I'm I missing something?

In football, all parties are motivated by their own self interests - the clubs, the players, and yes even the fans. So don't give me that nonsense about loyalty. Where was your own loyalty to the player? Fans have such a false sense of entitlement and they hold players to ridiculous rules that are so devoid of reality. It's really quite laughable.

If that is aimed at me, then you should read my post again because the main point is that I DON'T expect loyalty from Frank. Of course it would have been nice, but I don't think he has an obligation to do it. I have no issues with him moving to City. The only things that upset me slightly about this is the fact that he blatantly lied about moving to an English club and the little play he pulled by appearing to move to NY and not City.

Absolutely agree.

I was among those saying we needed to the our midfield, I support the club letting him go and I don't have a problem with his choices because we've made ours.

Whatever

Exactly this! The board made a decision that they thought best serves the club's interests and though it was sad, most supporters accepted that decision because we felt it was time that Frank moved on. So how is it fair (or even logical) that Frank's loyalty is being called into question?

Sure it sucks to see him score goals for city and hear the city fans chant his name, but a decision was made and the player moved on. People are just being so dramatic over this.

Newcastle away...urgh!!!!

And it's an early kick off too. Oh lord...

Still if we get complacent, they will catch us.

Its too soon to call who will win title, but if we let it go from our hands, I will be quite pissed. 20 games to go, but fuck that, we have team and 6 point lead. Question is if we have mentality.

Let's say Paul has been a Chelsea fan for 20 years. Most Stamford Bridge goers know the guy. Said he'll "never support another club in his life" and he's "chelseablue4lyfe". Then because of Chelsea's last season decision of being back Mourinho (he was never a Mourinho fan) moved suddenly to support City.

You'll ask him, why did you move? Answer: "I'll always love Chelsea and the fans I've met but I have to be a professional fan and stand by my rights."

Would you believe Paul? No, you'll call him a plastic/traitor fan and a liar.

I'm sorry, anyone who loves Lampard this much, should go and support City. I'm telling you RIGHT now, if we look in to Lampard's heart, he has no regret of what he's done. From wearing that ugly blue shirt TO scoring a goal against us. Maybe he needs to score a goal against us at the Bridge before all fans understand that he doesn't care much about this club anymore. He moved on. The fact that he agreed to stay with City 'til the end of the season proves this.

P.S - No one is questioning what Lampard has done for us in the past. No one. It's what he's doing NOW that angers me so much.

how long have you been a fan ,, your profile doesn't say ?

I don't understand the argument that the club didn't show any loyalty to Lampard. We kept him well after his best on ridiculously high wages and offered him a new contract on lower wages but he refused. What do people expect, that the board keep him on forever and on wages of 150k/week? We showed enough loyalty to him over the years and as Jose said the club were/are willing to give him some kind of management role. He showed absolutely no loyalty once he saw the $ signs from City though.

Horrible weekend of Premier League football.

To say Southampton were poor against City would be an understatement. Played like a team second from bottom rather than second from top. In fact, having watched their last two matches, Southampton looked like a distinctly average side. The hype about them seems rather misplaced.

On the other hand, I feel sick every time Lampard scores and speaks for City. Still can't believe he's actually playing for them. Absolutely piss taking!