Wayne Rooney

J.F.

Like Lampard's been doing to us? First playing a major role in getting AVB sacked and then not dropping wage demands; making public comments regarding managers and the club and even before all this, pondering a move to Inter? Like Ashley Cole did with Arsenal before transferring to us and giving us 0 football-related drama? I don't think that's a viable point.

If he stays at United for 1 more season he becomes their 3rd-all time goalscorer. He averages 1 goal every 2 games in the Premier League when played as a striker, and the exact same statistic is present in Europe and even better in the F.A. Cup.

If we don't go by stats though, you can't discount and seriously need to consider everything else he offers a team besides goals, such as work-rate, passion, passing ability, versatility and so-on.

Like Lampard? This quote could be posted in the Lamps thread and would look perfectly in place :halo:

That's been a roll specifically given to him this season to create a midfield-3 as the wingers go up to join Van Persie with Rooney being a support option. Here he wouldn't be instructed to do so.

The Lampard comparisons are warranted and I've echoed them many times on the forum (and slated).

However you can't then compare them to Lampard and still find justification for sanctioning signing Rooney. One type of that player is bad enough without actively spending another £30million on that type again lol.

I agree regarding his role and Manchester United, however to ask him not to do that at Chelsea will be something he won't be able to do instinctively. His instincts (even for England) are to drop deep and help the midfield more. That would be fine if he had the speed to then join the attack at the end when someone needs to finish those chances - a quality he doesn't posses.

He is an asset to most teams because of the qualities you mentioned in regards to versatility, but you have to look at what our squad needs ahead of what he'll offer to a potential rival. He does have a good work-rate and passion.. For Manchester United. You can't really replicate those qualities at another club after spending 10 years at your previous club - We simply won't see that same passion and work-rate to be frank.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some positives about a potential Rooney swoop off the top of my head if money is no object:

Against big teams, Rooney performs in general. He's scored vs. Barcelona. He's scored plenty against us. That overhead kick vs. Manchester City and so-on.

He's versatile. Put him as a poacher against Stoke and get him a hat-trick. Play him as a support striker to Ba vs. Arsenal and play games with their fragile defence. Play him as a complete striker with the freedom to do as he pleases and change a game. Put him in a midfield role alongside Ramires and watch those 2 engines constantly win the ball back and hassle a passing-team like Juventus.

His finishing ability can't be questioned, neither can his passion.

He's fixed his hair a bit.

He likes to run at defenders when his team don't have possession to put the opposition under pressure - something I wish our strikers did more.

He's like a cat; He can score with his body at any angle or in any shape.

He's English. We're an English club. We have hardly any English players which are good enough for our Starting XI, if any anymore.

Someone new to football would be mistaken for thinking he's a playmaker at times. Much like Totti, he has learned the art of passing and almost mastered it.

He's a rather decent free-kick taker.

He's composed from the penalty spot; ideal if Lampard or Hazard aren't here.

He shouts and communicates on the pitch a lot. You can't not be motivated when you're playing with him, if not scared shitless.

No matter how much they'd try and deny it, it'd hurt the hearts of Man United fans having him here; something we'd all enjoy.

He's scored hundreds of goals despite playing in not the most creative teams. Giggs, Nani, Valencia, Carrick, Kagawa, Scholes - All good attacking threats, but not all that creative in my opinion. Hazard, Mata, Oscar? Orgasmic.

MONEY FROM KIT SALES!!!!! :Goober:

Didn't he stick v sign's at our fans in the Old Trafford title decider in 2011 at half time?

If he does come it would be interesting if he gets the Rafa treatment :rolleyes:

He needs a new challenge. He's not a Chelsea type player though not for this generation anyway... We haven't played with a rooney type player effectively since Zola. That deep lying forward does not fit into our midfield/wing structure !

Please no.

I have so many problems with Rooney the footballer it's shocking. The most profound point is, how can we sign a player who's held Manchester United to ransom twice in the same number of years. The only reason Ferguson caved in 2011 is because Rooney was their only 'danger' man who could change a game, so in typical Fergie fashion he found a better danger man in RvP. Now Wayne's no longer the center of attention - he wants out?

Secondly, Rooney has long surpassed the period of time he had to reach his potential. The guy could've been world-class, simple as that. He shone in the first season post-Ronaldo but after that he let himself go. Not only did he put on a few pounds, he also became lazy on the pitch and his temperamental affected his play.

Yes, he's a goal scorer - something we need. But that's not the full picture of Wayne Rooney. His tendency to drop deep is going to get us nowhere because we need a striker who's going to stay in the last third of the pitch making the runs to the near post and take defenders away - Something Rooney is not.

He's also on a notable decline, which is shocking. He's 27 and should be in his prime by now or at least amounting to it. Instead he's become slower, less motivated and very arrogant. Even Mourinho won't be able to fix that.

There was this guy Ribery who was suposed to be world class star after WC 2006 but never managed to get there. However with Bayern playing slightly different style of play in past few years, Ribery become realy world class the past two seasons. He was very good before too (like Rooney), be he made step forward since.

I believe Rooney can still be much better player, after all when he plays striker, he scores goals and still contributes much to the game.

He needs a new challenge. He's not a Chelsea type player though not for this generation anyway... We haven't played with a rooney type player effectively since Zola. That deep lying forward does not fit into our midfield/wing structure !

We cam play him as a striker.

He's still a quality player. Every time I'm at the Bridge and we are playing United he looks the biggest threat of any United player, and without him they lack that composure in the final third. The best players create their own space and Rooney does this expertly.

That being said, I don't think United would sell to us, and his wage would be ridiculously high if there was a possibility. I can see him going to PSG, just want to hear that scouse/french accent :Goober:

Didn't he stick v sign's at our fans in the Old Trafford title decider in 2011 at half time?

If he does come it would be interesting if he gets the Rafa treatment :rolleyes:

unlikely considering the cunt torres was welcomed with open arms

I sincerely hope there is nothing to this rumour. I detest Rooney and I can't think of seeing anything worse than watching him walk out for Chelsea.

If we're looking to bring in a big money striker, the buck stops at Falcao.

Personally I'd like to see Lukaku given a regular starting chance, and I think a season under Jose could really turn him into something special

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You