Edinson Cavani

CFC58

Anything over 35 is too much especially when we talking about someone who is suppose to be a 2nd choice striker. We would have a 85 million pound strikeforce duo

There's no way Cavani would be a second choice striker. He's an elite player and if he's bought by anyone, it will be to lead their attack.

Silly rumour.

Weren't Napoli after Meireles a while back? If so, I suppose we could try to negotiate a deal to include Meireles going to Napoli as part of the deal to lower the price a bit, but I think it would still be way too expensive. Also, we would have to get rid of Torres before buying him, no point having them both. I would rate Cavani over Torres any day but not sure if this is worth all the hassle and I would rather see the long-awaited right winger arrive instead of a new centre-forward, no matter how awesome he is.

its everybody else's fault Torres didn't score more goals. Got it.

Good! :)

FWIW: I'm not saying Torres is blameless, I'm just stating that if we played to his strengths we would have had a much better 'Goal scorer' on our hands, not somebody who ended up assisting, rather than finishing. You can point me towards all the stats you like - but seeing the player with your own eyes (rather than looking @ stats) would tell you everything you need to know.

In Munich - he looked a real threat when he came on, but ended up playing almost as a RW - this is something he was doing for long periods of the season @ Chelsea.

Drogba / Torres = 2 totally different strikers... We knew (after 1 season) how to get the best out of Drog. With the current 'creative' signings - it looks like we need a 'new' approach to get the best out of current Striker...

Cavani - who knows with the current crop of new players, could we get the best out of him? Maybe/Maybe Not - but if you are advocating spending another 60million quid on a striker - then fair enough.

I would personally use the money for a RW and RB - and ensure both flanks provide great service to the Striker...

FWIW: I'm not saying Torres is blameless, I'm just stating that if we played to his strengths we would have had a much better 'Goal scorer' on our hands, not somebody who ended up assisting, rather than finishing. You can point me towards all the stats you like - but seeing the player with your own eyes (rather than looking @ stats) would tell you everything you need to know.

In Munich - he looked a real threat when he came on, but ended up playing almost as a RW - this is something he was doing for long periods of the season @ Chelsea.

Drogba / Torres = 2 totally different strikers... We knew (after 1 season) how to get the best out of Drog. With the current 'creative' signings - it looks like we need a 'new' approach to get the best out of current Striker...

Cavani - who knows with the current crop of new players, could we get the best out of him? Maybe/Maybe Not - but if you are advocating spending another 60million quid on a striker - then fair enough.

I would personally use the money for a RW and RB - and ensure both flanks provide great service to the Striker...

I wouldnt go after Cavani this summer either. Give Ft9 this year to shine. Or Atleast until December.

Why? A good striker will play well in a number of different systems. No, Torres is never going to fit into a physical long-ball attack, but we didn't play that last year. We have played 3 different styles in the year and a half that Torres has been at Chelsea and he's been bad at all of them. (And no, he wasn't great under RDM. he played 18 matches under him and had 4 good games). You don't build a team system just to ensure that it fits your striker, you build a team system that fits all your players. If Cavanii costs 60M, he's not worth it, but if Chelsea can get him for 35-40M and can off-load Torres for 20-25M or so, Chelsea would be a much better team for it.

I still think it's too big a risk - Nando is improving and looked good in the Euro's - do we want to risk bringing somebody else in that could also end up on a 'stinker'....

Nothing is guaranteed in life (except Death+Taxes) - but sometimes it's better the Devil you know...

Yes Nando played poorly - but he 'tried hard' - maybe that's my 'Englishness' coming out - we love underskilled 'tryers' - Tim Henman anybody ;)

35 million is a lot of money, along with 150k week... I think that could be better spent RW an RB... A team needs good balance... Think back to the days of Duff + Robben - we always looked great going forward...

Hope we can unearth a new 'Chappie' (Albert Ferrer) at RB - he was an absolute LEGEND! :D

Why? A good striker will play well in a number of different systems. No, Torres is never going to fit into a physical long-ball attack, but we didn't play that last year. We have played 3 different styles in the year and a half that Torres has been at Chelsea and he's been bad at all of them. (And no, he wasn't great under RDM. he played 18 matches under him and had 4 good games). You don't build a team system just to ensure that it fits your striker, you build a team system that fits all your players. If Cavanii costs 60M, he's not worth it, but if Chelsea can get him for 35-40M and can off-load Torres for 20-25M or so, Chelsea would be a much better team for it.

Not so sure...

Berbatov = quality striker, struggled at Man U

Carrol = played well for Newcastle, struggled @ Liverpool

Sheva = Great player, struggled for us

Crespo = Great striker, struggled for us

Kezman = Great striker, struggled for us

Forlan = Great striker, struggled for Man U...

There's literally an 'endless' supply of strikers who haven't made it in a 'team' for whatever reason - is it the team or the player? It's both... They need to learn to play to each other's strengths.

I think the term is 'adaptability' - some people have it, some don't. I'm looking forward to this season though.

I'm NOT against Cavani - if we get him great, as long as that doesn't stop the more pressing RW + RB positions... We can be Man City 2 for all I care - with 2 great squads of players... :D

Not so sure...

Berbatov = quality striker, struggled at Man U

Carrol = played well for Newcastle, struggled @ Liverpool

Sheva = Great player, struggled for us

Crespo = Great striker, struggled for us

Kezman = Great striker, struggled for us

Forlan = Great striker, struggled for Man U...

There's literally an 'endless' supply of strikers who haven't made it in a 'team' for whatever reason - is it the team or the player? It's both... They need to learn to play to each other's strengths.

I think the term is 'adaptability' - some people have it, some don't. I'm looking forward to this season though.

I'm NOT against Cavani - if we get him great, as long as that doesn't stop the more pressing RW + RB positions... We can be Man City 2 for all I care - with 2 great squads of players... :D

It's also the league. The Premier League is the best league in the world and some players have difficulty adjusting. But mostly, it's because players are declining or just not good enough. We just bought Shevchenko when he was declining. He went back to Milan and was ever worse for them . Hard to say Berbatov struggled too much. He's been a disappointment, but he did lead the Premier League in goals a season ago. Crespo did not struggle with us. He scored 20 goals in 49 league games. He just was not comfortable with us. Kezman was a great striker in Holland but was just not good enough to succeed elsewhere and he had a drug problem to boot. etc... Some players succeed in certain systems and not others of course, but if you are a top striker, you should be able to score regardless of the situation. You have to create your own space, your own chances, and your own goals no matter what.

Cavani is definately a great striker, but i would rather give torres another chance, so unless we are buying him to play on the right (which i highly doubt), then i would rather have Hulk so we can fill a postion which is more essential atm... We also still have Lukaku, who needs to be given a chance at some point, as well as sturridge who with his ability to play all over the front 3 will be a very useful squad player and it would destroy torres as atm he knows he is our number 1, and then we would have 50 mil torres on the bench or 35 mil cavani. Spend it on a RW IMO.

as Torres` psychologist i fear for his well being having to compete for a starting place like other footballers. Torres is a special case.as shown by his post European Cup winning moment of distress. it is not winning that matters most to Torres but it`s the taking part.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You