Josh McEachran

Term-X

I was at the game he made his debut. He came off the bench against Newcastle in a League Cup game, we were 3-1 down and he totally changed the game. 17yo I think at the time and he bossed that midfield like he had been there 10 years. We pulled the game back to 3-3 and I thought, wow! We have someone special here. How badly it nosedived from there.

I was at the game he made his debut. He came off the bench against Newcastle in a League Cup game, we were 3-1 down and he totally changed the game. 17yo I think at the time and he bossed that midfield like he had been there 10 years. We pulled the game back to 3-3 and I thought, wow! We have someone special here. How badly it nosedived from there.

Remember it well. Watch this video and weep.

Edited by Madmax

Oh come on don't give me that bullshit he had a breakout year under Ancelotti, signed a new deal and then it all went to fuck. Something went wrong, you can't say we didn't give him enough chances we loaned him out to Swansea where he didn't do much, Boro, Watford, Wigan and then Vitesse where other than the Boro loan he flopped hugely. He hardly played for Swansea, Wigan, Watford or Vitesse so something was wrong. Big contract too soon?

Maybe money had something to do with it, i cant say since i don't know him. You are right some people are like that, they get a taste of stardom+Money+lifestyle, their motivation goes down and they stop striving, then they decline. You can't do much for them, if they don't have the ambition to be the best they can be then honestly they can't be helped.

But there is something wrong with how Chelsea handles their youth players. I say our loan system is the equivalent of business outsourcing, whenever companies outsource their products the quality of the product completely deteriorates. Outsourcing admittedly is successful for mass production(ex Chip/tech, Nike, Adidas,etc) but not suited for luxury products(Gucci, Louis Vutton, Burburry,etc).

Developing youth players should be treated as luxury products, because the chances of developing one at Chelsea standard is quite rare. You have to remember Josh was not a finish product, if Chelsea wanted him developed properly they should have kept him in house and took responsibility for it. But they loaned him hoping Swansea would develop him. Lets be honest if Swansea, Boro, Watford, Wigan were good enough to develop a rare talent like Josh(while at the time he was perceived to be) then why are they not producing players like him? because they are not good enough, so it makes no sense to let them handle Josh development.

Well hopefully Chelsea has learned their lesson after years of failed Youth loan policy. Maybe the reluctance to loan RLC is a sign of change.

Ps. What i call Youth loan policy does not include players like Lukaku, KDB, Tibo, etc. I consider them professional players and not Chelsea youth, since they arrived at Chelsea at that level.

Maybe money had something to do with it, i cant say since i don't know him. You are right some people are like that, they get a taste of stardom+Money+lifestyle, their motivation goes down and they stop striving, then they decline. You can't do much for them, if they don't have the ambition to be the best they can be then honestly they can't be helped.

But there is something wrong with how Chelsea handles their youth players. I say our loan system is the equivalent of business outsourcing, whenever companies outsource their products the quality of the product completely deteriorates. Outsourcing admittedly is successful for mass production(ex Chip/tech, Nike, Adidas,etc) but not suited for luxury products(Gucci, Louis Vutton, Burburry,etc).

Developing youth players should be treated as luxury products, because the chances of developing one at Chelsea standard is quite rare. You have to remember Josh was not a finish product, if Chelsea wanted him developed properly they should have kept him in house and took responsibility for it. But they loaned him hoping Swansea would develop him. Lets be honest if Swansea, Boro, Watford, Wigan were good enough to develop a rare talent like Josh(while at the time he was perceived to be) then why are they not producing players like him? because they are not good enough, so it makes no sense to let them handle Josh development.

Well hopefully Chelsea has learned their lesson after years of failed Youth loan policy. Maybe the reluctance to loan RLC is a sign of change.

Ps. What i call Youth loan policy does not include players like Lukaku, KDB, Tibo, etc. I consider them professional players and not Chelsea youth, since they arrived at Chelsea at that level.

Yes the club could maybe have done better in a few cases but I ain't accepting any blame for McEachran, that one Is on him and only him.

Maybe if Jose was here In 2011 he would have given Josh similar tough love he gave RLC, oh well.

I was there on that day too.

Josh was incredible!

The way he was treated wasn't right imo.

He could have been the real deal in the number 10 role. He is a wizard with the ball.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
2 hours ago, the wes said:

Maybe we have a buy back.

That would have been smart.

The most naturally gifted player to come out of our academy in the modern era, which just goes to show that talent alone is just a small small fraction of the formula.

Off the ball he makes Mata look like Makalele.

IMO, one of those youth players that never should have been loanedarrow-10x10.png away and should have been retained like they are doing with RLC now...

Sure, they would barely get a few minutes to play, but it would have been lot better than stagnating in a lesser team.

• 8 months later...

McEachran regret not signing for Real Madrid instead of chelsea fs kid pull your head outta your ass if you couldn't make at chelsea there was no chance in hell you would have made it at Real Madrid 

http://www.espnfc.com/chelsea/story/3046583/brentfords-josh-mceachran-i-turned-down-real-madrid-for-chelsea-dream

It's damn hilarious and great progression that Josh at his 'prime' youth-wise, our 'best youth product since Terry'

(& Franco DiSanto

:ph34r:)

, would be benched by all of our youth players from the past 4 or so seasons. This may've been the only season he'd get a sniff. Always thought he looked like a yogurt pot trying to play football. It just won't work.

• 1 year later...

Lets be honest. Mentality wise the guy never had it.

There is a reason he went from the next big thing/next player to break through here at a top PL club, to a newly promoted PL club, to 3 championship clubs, Vitesse, and then back to another championship club in the space of 5 or 6 years. He never had the mentality for the big time. 

Look at other young players who have gone out on loan and come back or have been loaned out then sold, we've regretted some, guys like Matic, De Bruyne, Salah, even Chalobah who was 100 times the guy he was in terms of mentality and a much more rounded players. The fact hes saying shit like this, despite the fact hes playing at Brentford, says it all. Its not as if hes punching above his weight and outplaying the league, the guy is so average its unbelievable. He's 25 and his career has mounted to a pile of averageness but he wants to talk about regretting not going to Real Madrid lol, they probably have a worse record with youth than we do and you look at the young guys they discarded over the years. He never fit in at Swansea for whatever reason, fair enough but look at all his other loan spells he only really played at Vitesse and Middlesbrough and he went on loan 5 times.