Nathaniel Chalobah

Clevemayer

Wow the England U21 look awful. There is absolutely zero cohesion in the team. Watching them against Sweden and they look nothing like a team. They are relying completely on individual skill which is in itself pretty rare.

This is pretty much every England national team in the past few years.

Nowhere near Chelsea quality. The gulf is ability between him and RLC was staggering. He had potential as a CB but his career as a top flight player is all but over since he & the club decided he was apparently good enough to be a midfielder.

I knew he wasn't Chelsea quality after the 2013 Play-off final & this was the final nail in the coffin. We should sell while he still has any value.

Nowhere near Chelsea quality. The gulf is ability between him and RLC was staggering. He had potential as a CB but his career as a top flight player is all but over since he & the club decided he was apparently good enough to be a midfielder.

I knew he wasn't Chelsea quality after the 2013 Play-off final & this was the final nail in the coffin. We should sell while he still has any value.

I've said for the last 2 yrs that Chalobah isn't a midfielder and got slated. At least not for a team near Chelsea level. He can be one in the champiosnship but not for any team in the top 2/3 of the PL.

Ake, Romeu, etc are far better DMs; Van Ginkel, RLC, etc are far better CMs. His long term prospects at the top level have always been at CB. But for two yrs now he hasn't played there consistently.

Even in the youth team, he always impressed me more as a CB, and he mainly played as a CB.

Sadly can't argue, and you are right, he was beyond shocking at Wembley. With Jose in attendance to boot.

As for the switch to midfield, I think the first decision was that he wasn't going to be a top quality CB. I felt the move up field was therefore the right call.

I've said for the last 2 yrs that Chalobah isn't a midfielder and got slated. At least not for a team near Chelsea level. He can be one in the champiosnship but not for any team in the top 2/3 of the PL.

Ake, Romeu, etc are far better DMs; Van Ginkel, RLC, etc are far better CMs. His long term prospects at the top level have always been at CB. But for two yrs now he hasn't played there consistently.

Even in the youth team, he always impressed me more as a CB, and he mainly played as a CB.

I felt that while his body language was imperious at times when playing CB, he simply had too many mistakes in him. He is capable of some great passing but this made him overambitious in what he tried to accomplish from the back. His passing, which invariably travelled right to left, was all too often poor and sometimes worse. :(

I think Nate would struggle to get a Premier League contract at this stage but if he has hopes of one with a Championship club then, for me, DM is his best shot. I did say if though.

England need to completely overhaul the coaching set up, the seniors in the hands of Hodgson and U21s in the hands of Southgate is a lethal combination for all the wrong reasons.

Get some tactically astute coaches, even if we have to go abroad, it amazes me how manager's like Southgate, Warnock, Irvine get top level jobs, they are complete frauds.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Interesting. We will see how he does. Certainly better than championship loans.

Just wondering, why dont we loan more players to france tho? France is like a copy of easier PL.

Our youth would certainly benefit if they are good enough. ligue 1 plays football based on speed, strenght. Im sure for someone like Chalobah, a ligue 1 would fit better for his development if he wants to continue in england, as the tempo and style is similar. Unlike Italy, the exact opposite of england with their slow play.