15. Nicolas Jackson

ZAPHOD2319

On 23/08/2023 at 19:21, MoroccanBlue said:

His miss against Liverpool and the whiff against West Ham were appalling. 

Just saw stats for big chances missed. Jackson top of the league with 6. This is after just 4 games. With one goal. 

Havertz worst season was 14 big chances missed. 7 goals in that season. 

Werner 6g 18 big chances missed. And even against Dortmund in final pre season game he had 2, 3 crazy misses. Very bad record so far. In all 3 games we lost points. 

No argument here. He wasn't good enough today... not only with the missed opportunities, but miscontrolling crosses into the box and not even being in the box to receive the pass at times.

On the other hand, I think it's unfair to only use conversion rate to compare him with other strikers who have WAY more support in quality AND numbers. It can make a huge difference for a striker... what I'm saying is that better support DOES affect conversion rate.

I mean look at our lineup today: the left was Chilwell and Enzo. I'm not even criticizing Poch as I'd not play Madueke and Mudryk either, but that's just not attacking enough to face weak opposition at home. 

if were not playing lavia because hes not fit why have we played caicedo now 3 games after 2 months on the sideline so clearly not fit.. we should have started maatsen at LB with 4 at the back(Gusto, Colwill and Silva).. Enzo and Gallagher in centre... mudrik(L), palmer(C) and stirling(R) across he forward mid and jackson up front.. full attacking team as it should be at home against a team with 1 away win in the last year... need to show some balls fs we look weak and entitled.. bad form !!

36 minutes ago, robsblubot said:

No argument here. He wasn't good enough today... not only with the missed opportunities, but miscontrolling crosses into the box and not even being in the box to receive the pass at times.

On the other hand, I think it's unfair to only use conversion rate to compare him with other strikers who have WAY more support in quality AND numbers. It can make a huge difference for a striker... what I'm saying is that better support DOES affect conversion rate.

I mean look at our lineup today: the left was Chilwell and Enzo. I'm not even criticizing Poch as I'd not play Madueke and Mudryk either, but that's just not attacking enough to face weak opposition at home. 

Put it this way, if you can't start one of the actual wingers in the team against Forest at home, then it raises the question as to why they were brought to the club. 

Chilwell should play LB with someone like Maatsen/another pacey winger ahead of him, not sure why Poch threw out our pre-season tactics (that appeared to be working and players seemed to be understanding their roles) as soon as Nkunku got injured. 

Playing 3/5 at the back is fine for Liverpool and the other sides but it makes no sense against teams that are just waiting for 1-2 chances on the counter attack. 

I know a lot will point out the miss and confidence, but I'm not really worried about it. 

He seems resilient. He is dropping deep into the midfield at times because we lack creativity due to Poch's tactics. To be fair, he was one of our best players last night aside from the blunder. 

On 28/08/2023 at 03:42, OneMoSalah said:

Has to work on some of his link up as a few simpler passes at times didn’t find intended targets - although did show some nice touches, in particular for Chilly’s chance where he tries squaring it - v Luton and other games but actually so refreshing to see a CF who is willing to mix it up.

Stretches the game with penetrating runs in behind and in the channels which gives us an option to take 3 or 4 players out of the game at once as opposed to trying to play through a press or through compact set ups.

Also offers a physical presence too without being purely one dimensional and still being mobile. 

I know theres a lot of talk of Drogba and seen Anelka’s name too in here with him but I honestly think he is more like Diego Costa. Again, not saying he will be the next or is at his level or whatever and again, its a small sample size but he just looks  very similar in some aspects of his game.

Positive signs so far.

He isn't like Diego at all in my opinion. Diego wasn't actually that great technically, what made him a great CF was his drive, passion and ability to score when it mattered. For me, Jackson has technical ability for the 1-2's and can make good runs. During preseason I said he looked most like Torres to me, having seen him and bit more a with his concerning conversation rate, I am also seeing a bit of Kalou. 

I have always said, I need 10 full 90 minute games from a player before I can make a final decision on a player, so I am not saying my thoughts are final, however, Costa for me was such a unique player that I think I can safely say he isn't that. 

Edited by King Kante

Definitely his poorest performance yet for us but STILL should’ve scored at least 1. That Werner/Torres like miss was inexcusable.

Think it’s pretty clear that Jackson may struggle against opponents like this and as a result the whole team will continue to struggle against low blocks with 10 men packed deep defending. He wants to run in behind and use open space to kill defenders with a quick turn and sprint. Being unable to do that really hampers him.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, King Kante said:

The new Kalou. 

Still think it’s harsh to expect a young and raw player like him to be able to lead the line for us every week when hes still very much trying to find his feet in top level football.

Unfortunately, the burden is on him like many of our positions with other young guys who aren’t maybe ready/should have some more established guys in and around to take the weight off, he is clearly the number 1 choice. Realistically though, he should be a second choice with a guy in front of him but its the situation we are in.

His attitude is good and I have no doubts he will get better but its going to be a process. He actually looks promising, unlike Mudryk (write off already), Noni and I’d guess Palmer (just looks like we’ve signed a rip of Kai Havertz who has no real distinct qualities) who City were probably pissing themselves at getting £45+5m off of us for. Still early for Palmer and maybe Noni but I just don’t see the pair of them doing anything. Lavia not played yet but money could have been used elsewhere & kept one of Kovacic or Kante.

3 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Still think it’s harsh to expect a young and raw player like him to be able to lead the line for us every week when hes still very much trying to find his feet in top level football.

Unfortunately, the burden is on him like many of our positions with other young guys who aren’t maybe ready/should have some more established guys in and around to take the weight off, he is clearly the number 1 choice. Realistically though, he should be a second choice with a guy in front of him but its the situation we are in.

His attitude is good and I have no doubts he will get better but its going to be a process. He actually looks promising, unlike Mudryk (write off already), Noni and I’d guess Palmer (just looks like we’ve signed a rip of Kai Havertz who has no real distinct qualities) who City were probably pissing themselves at getting £45+5m off of us for. Still early for Palmer and maybe Noni but I just don’t see the pair of them doing anything. Lavia not played yet but money could have been used elsewhere & kept one of Kovacic or Kante.

I agree. Jackson should've been played into the side - I have said throughout that our transfer policy was incredibly dangerous as it was essentially buy all 'potential' and we seriously lacked experience.

As for my comment about the new Kalou, that isn't a bad thing per se as he was a serviceable player who always gave his all. 

Where, I am concerned, and this is why Kalou was never more than a 'squad player' is due to decision making in the box/finishing. Jackson is showing a lot of the same qualities in that he creates good situations/gets himself in good situations- however, he needs 10 chances to convert 2 goals. 

This video sums things up nicely. 

Jackson is fine, but nobody is really creating as nicely for him as is made out. Should he have scored the game prior? Yes, but Haaland has also missed a couple sitters already - difference is he keeps getting really, really good opportunities time and time again.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Jackson is fine, but nobody is really creating as nicely for him as is made out. Should he have scored the game prior? Yes, but Haaland has also missed a couple sitters already - difference is he keeps getting really, really good opportunities time and time again.

Agree and disagree. Don't think City (or Halland) is a good A/B source for comparison either-just too many variables. I think it's less tactics and more players, or the lack there of, than the utuber there.

Jackson is not "fine" at this level. He's fine if you consider the circumstances, but I'm really tired of appending every sentence with "for a 19-23yo fresh in the PL." 😕 

The part I agree with is the obvious one; for me the worst players on the pitch were both Mudryk and Enzo. Mudryk looked clueless as usual, but Enzo... did he even play?! no yellow card, no fight, no drive... just disappointing and yes, I'm the one who says he's wasted in that CAM position. Still this performance was not cool!
Now you consider that the one senior excellent attacking winger we got lost his RB buddy. I know folks are in love with Gusto, but boy, going forward he's really limited compared to James.

So, we were starved of quality in all areas of attack against bournemouth.: Left with Mudryk (and tbf not a proper LB), Enzo wasted in CAM, and Sterling no getting two ones, so of course Jackson struggled! He's not the real deal yet, just like most of our team, so he can't overcome such challenges just yet.

Does anyone think Connor getting time on the ball and space to operate, but Enzo getting none was an accident? That's coaching. If I play against Chelsea I'd tell my players that Enzo will not play; the others are somewhat free to roam, but Enzo will enjoy tight marking all game. Not really that complicated.

Edited by robsblubot

6 hours ago, Thor said:

Yes, everyone is missing big chances but conversation rate makes the difference.

Haaland last season 36 goals and 28 big chances missed. This is conversation rate of 56%.

This season he has 7 goals and 8 big chances missed. 46%.

Jackson is on 1 goal and 6 big chances missed. 14%.

11 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

Yes, everyone is missing big chances but conversation rate makes the difference.

Haaland last season 36 goals and 28 big chances missed. This is conversation rate of 56%.

and Håland will sort his misses, book it

he is obsessive and two months ago he was still only 22! He is still on an early career learning curve (which is terrifying)

19 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

Right, but Jackson isn't Haaland. I don't think anyone needs to be reminded of that. I'm sure Haaland would do more than Jackson because he's a far superior striker, no doubt. Saying otherwise is just silly tbh.

You are not wrong that Jackson is lacking esp that finishing touch, but our final third production is erratic at best, and non-existent at times. The striker will always be affected by that and so will his conversion rate.
It's one thing to play for a team which is firing in all cylinders, dominating games, and you know you don't need to score... that a new chance is just around the corner. It's entirely different when you are under pressure and the whole team is misfiring.

So, even seemingly personal stats like conversion rate aren't really self-contained.

Edited by robsblubot