15. Nicolas Jackson

ZAPHOD2319

• 2 weeks later...

He's a great player. More talent in his little toe than Lukaku in his blaoted body but also another one who can not finish his dinner. Would not be a problem if we had Nkunku fit or at least Sterling in his mancity scoring form. I feel we will have the football world raving at the talents of young Nic jackson but he will not score more than 15 goals for us this season.

9 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Would of liked to have seen him take the penalty. Might not of made any difference but I’d like to think as a CF, he would have the self belief to score one. Might of kicked him off on a wee run. 

Agree - but it's also a bit of a double edged sword.

If he had missed, then it would add to his anxiety

He clearly is a bit nervy in front of goal (for whatever reason) despite his excellent preseason.

Hopefully he can get off the mark against Luton town and get his (and our) season up and running.

On 20/08/2023 at 12:10, NikkiCFC said:

People can praise him all they want until he scores 11 PL goals in a season he is not better than Morata for us. 15 to reach Abraham season. 

I disagree with that. Most teams no longer play with a dedicated striker--City does now because they have him, but they've won plenty of PLs without that player. United Rashford is pretty much an attacker who links up pretty well. Arsenal employs false 9 if not just attackers. The list goes on.

Now, Jackson was a bit disappointing against WHU. He needs to be a bit quicker to apply the finish, and that big miss from sterling back pass was not cool.

On 22/08/2023 at 01:52, robsblubot said:

I disagree with that. Most teams no longer play with a dedicated striker--City does now because they have him, but they've won plenty of PLs without that player. United Rashford is pretty much an attacker who links up pretty well. Arsenal employs false 9 if not just attackers. The list goes on.

Now, Jackson was a bit disappointing against WHU. He needs to be a bit quicker to apply the finish, and that big miss from sterling back pass was not cool.

Disagree, most top teams play with a CF. Not many play without. Or not many will. City before Haaland had Aguero & Jesus as options barring that one good season they played without a recognised CF but they also wanted to sign Kane and Kane only that summer.

Funnily enough the one season they win the Treble after all the years of talk of could they do the Trebles and Quadruples, it was when they had Haaland, one of the most natural number 9s they’ve had

41 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Disagree, most top teams play with a CF. Not many play without. Or not many will. City before Haaland had Aguero & Jesus as options barring that one good season they played without a recognised CF but they also wanted to sign Kane and Kane only that summer.

Funnily enough the one season they win the Treble after all the years of talk of could they do the Trebles and Quadruples, it was when they had Haaland, one of the most natural number 9s they’ve had

Not sure we are disagreeing that much tho. For me the difference between a dedicated striker which demands that the team play to his strengths, play a certain way; then you have the Jesus type, or Jackson type, which contribute to the overall play; they can contribute even when not scoring goals. Jesus for ex, played as many times in the wing as in the striker position.

Getting Halland is like Getting Mbappe and saying we've signed a winger. 😉

4 hours ago, robsblubot said:

Not sure we are disagreeing that much tho. For me the difference between a dedicated striker which demands that the team play to his strengths, play a certain way; then you have the Jesus type, or Jackson type, which contribute to the overall play; they can contribute even when not scoring goals. Jesus for ex, played as many times in the wing as in the striker position.

Getting Halland is like Getting Mbappe and saying we've signed a winger. 😉

Not 100% sure what you mean about a dedicated striker…I mean no top team plays to suit one specific player these days or has done for years.

That doesn’t mean teams don’t play with more traditional number 9s as opposed to these false 9’s and what not.

I mean even City don’t play directly to Haaland’s strengths in the same way Dortmund may have but they have their own identity and its been incredibly successful. There as so many moments where he isn’t involved as much as say a KdB, a Silva, a Foden, a Rodri etc who are perfect examples of Pep Guardiola players so don’t know what you mean by hinting at Haaland demanding their team plays to his strengths. 

Edited by OneMoSalah

1 hour ago, OneMoSalah said:

Not 100% sure what you mean about a dedicated striker…I mean no top team plays to suit one specific player these days or has done for years.

That doesn’t mean teams don’t play with more traditional number 9s as opposed to these false 9’s and what not.

I mean even City don’t play directly to Haaland’s strengths in the same way Dortmund may have but they have their own identity and its been incredibly successful. There as so many moments where he isn’t involved as much as say a KdB, a Silva, a Foden, a Rodri etc who are perfect examples of Pep Guardiola players so don’t know what you mean by hinting at Haaland demanding their team plays to his strengths. 

I disagree with that. I think City very much plays to Haaland strengths always sending the ball into space for his timely runs; he's not that great at link up play. He's just better making those runs and hoping someone finds him via throughball--they eventually do because of the abundant quality in the squad... haaland is extremely pacey for his build too, which makes him an easy target for his teammates.

I call dedicated striker a player who participates little in the build up of attack; a classic Giroud type, which is more or less what haaland is (just much higher quality obviously).

Jesus is the typical false 9. The whole point I made is that Jackson looks more like Jesus than Giroud. He's going to drop back and make runs which will help the team, and the attack. If Nkunku (can also play false 9) were healthy, perhaps they cold even switch roles during matches to confuse the opposition, but suppose that's out for a while. 

Edited by robsblubot

4 hours ago, Mhsc said:

Amazing that anyone could be anything other than extremely excited about this guy. He contributes beautifully all game, I'm absolutely thrilled with having him up top both in terms of what he's bringing on / off the ball AND the attitude and confidence he permeates. Coming off of a season with no real striker it is just lovely to see a proper striker back at Chelsea. Goals will come, I'm not the slightest bit concerned about NJ.

We need to start seeing them soon though. His miss against Liverpool and the whiff against West Ham were appalling. 

9 hours ago, robsblubot said:

I disagree with that. I think City very much plays to Haaland strengths always sending the ball into space for his timely runs; he's not that great at link up play. He's just better making those runs and hoping someone finds him via throughball--they eventually do because of the abundant quality in the squad... haaland is extremely pacey for his build too, which makes him an easy target for his teammates.

I call dedicated striker a player who participates little in the build up of attack; a classic Giroud type, which is more or less what haaland is (just much higher quality obviously).

Jesus is the typical false 9. The whole point I made is that Jackson looks more like Jesus than Giroud. He's going to drop back and make runs which will help the team, and the attack. If Nkunku (can also play false 9) were healthy, perhaps they cold even switch roles during matches to confuse the opposition, but suppose that's out for a while. 

One of Manchester city's problems is that they don't play to haalands strengths, that was wildly reported last season yet he still got the golden boot.