Welcome Mauricio Pochettino

Pochettino: Tough decisions needed to trim 'massive squad'

"At the moment the dynamic is very good, really good guys and they are sharing the time together," he said after the 1-1 draw with Newcastle.

"It is difficult because sometimes in every game three, four, five players cannot play and that is difficult because the mood is difficult.

"It is about creating a squad with good balance and people who have the opportunity to play and can compete for their place.

"That is a big job and challenge for us in the transfer window to build a good relationship and good balance. Then, if players are not happy because they believe they are not going to play, we are going to find a solution with the club and fix the situation.

"What we cannot have is a massive squad, players not involved and then it's going to create a mess in the squad. Maybe less is more and more is less, it is not mathematic. That is why I need to make clear we don't need a big squad.

"We need 22, 23, 24 players with some younger and that's it. I am so sorry because maybe the decision will be tough but we need to build a good and balanced team who want to compete for things."

• 2 weeks later...

4231 in my favourite formation but with Nkunku out not sure there is a point to continue. Felix and Havartz players I would be excited to see under Poch in this system also left. 

We have to play to our strengths. Who we gonna use there Carney or Maatsen? Their inclusion in 20 plus players squad in questionable yet alone is starting 11. 

Either 433 or to our destined 343. We can pick 3 great central backs, James and Chilwell are better wing backs anyway. And Enzo-Caicedo pivot stays as our main force. We can be that side again, hard to score against and nick some goals with Mudryk, Jackson upfront.. Poch used this formation before so it's now up to him to switch things up. 

7 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

4231 in my favourite formation but with Nkunku out not sure there is a point to continue. Felix and Havartz players I would be excited to see under Poch in this system also left. 

We have to play to our strengths. Who we gonna use there Carney or Maatsen? Their inclusion in 20 plus players squad in questionable yet alone is starting 11. 

Either 433 or to our destined 343. We can pick 3 great central backs, James and Chilwell are better wing backs anyway. And Enzo-Caicedo pivot stays as our main force. We can be that side again, hard to score against and nick some goals with Mudryk, Jackson upfront.. Poch used this formation before so it's now up to him to switch things up. 

Isn't wise to play a system only to do a complete 180 when a player returns. 

Stick with what we have. Caicedo+Enzo with Carney/Gallagher/Olise? at CAM. 

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, TheHulk said:

Respect him for going that way and saying that (wouldn’t expect any less tbf) but it will be much easier said than done when your talking about guys who maybe end up in that boat with 5, 6 or 7 years left on their deals as opposed to 1, 2 or 3 years left.

It will inevitably happen at one point as there’s that many of them with these length of deals and it will be a tough situation for a manager and the club if these sort of scenarios unfold. I mean just look at last season alone with a lot of guys unhappy about not playing irrespective of contract lengths - ok yes we had over 30 players but 3 or 4 unhappy players is all you need sometimes irrespective of squad size

Edited by OneMoSalah

1 hour ago, NikkiCFC said:

If we continue to struggle with goals he has only himself to blame. Opted against Felix, Vlahovic and Neymar. 

Yeah have to totally disagree with you.

Mainly because, well, Joao Felix scored a lot of goals last season here - what maybe a record breaking total of 4? In 20 games? Frightening stuff. All style but no substance.

Then Vlahovic got what 10 league goals? But again, if our managers not convinced by him and Juventus are willing to get rid of him for a 30 year old limited player who scored the same amount of goals as him last season - that says it all. 

On Neymar - no way he‘d of ever come here on our incentive based deals either, not a chance in hell. Plus again, would anybody expect him to do well in the PL and justify the colossal wages he would expect and transfer fee? Plus he’s never played over 35 games at club level for PSG in any of his 6 seasons there. Injuries. 

Edited by OneMoSalah

Pochettino has been talking all summer that he wants experience in the team, something we simply don't have. If anyone thought that with these young people we would surprise the world today, they saw that there is no chance of this happening without experience
At the moment Mauricio, he is the last one to blame for something.

We don't have a backup option ST we don't have an attacking midfielder. That's why he had to play Mudryk/Madueke CAM and Burstow .

On 20/08/2023 at 20:17, NikkiCFC said:

If we continue to struggle with goals he has only himself to blame. Opted against Felix, Vlahovic and Neymar. 

Neymar was never comin here.

Felix, whikst better than most of our scorers last season (low bar) was hardly a goal machine and the cost was so hight.

I remain unconvinced on Vlahovic,  but I am a bit open minded, IF we can do a swap plus cash to dump Rom.

Anyone know where to get running stats? Curious how our miles per game has changed since last year since it was a stat often mentioned for Poch and the way he transforms teams (that his teams are close to top of the miles covered table)