Brentford 0 - 0 Chelsea

ZAPHOD2319

1 hour ago, milka said:

Kepa

Azpi Chalobah Koulibaly Cucurella

Jorginho Zakaria  Gallagher

Mount Aubameyang Pulisic 

Yeah would love to see something like that. (Although I think Broja could do some real harm against Brentford's line)

Then this against United on Saturday. 

Kepa

Chalobah Silva Koulibaly

RLC   Jorginho Kovacic Chilwell

Mount Aubameyang Sterling

Edited by MoroccanBlue

2 hours ago, milka said:

Kepa

Azpi Chalobah Koulibaly Cucurella

Jorginho Zakaria  Gallagher

Mount Aubameyang Pulisic 

Wont see Zakaria. GP doesn’t want him and wants to cut the loan short.

Plus its going to be 343/3412, that is obviously our best shape. Even without James.

1 hour ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

If we are able to rotate players and get a win here, we are set up nicely for the Man Utd game on the weekend. They do not rotate very much and Spurs are going to run them ragged on Wednesday.

Yeah, by Sunday we could be 9 points clear of them. 

Kepa has been brilliant last few games and deserves to be no.1, but sometimes I am of thinking that you sometimes have to play the team that suits the opposition. Brentford targeted Martinez in their game against United earlier on in season by constantly lumping the ball forward and getting set pieces. Kepa will start, but Brentford are a team that have switched their style of football since being in the PL and now very direct. They will lump balls forward and target a lot of set pieces. I noticed against Villa, that even a lot of set pieces they won but a lot of their headers glanced wide. Brentford will be even more dangerous on set pieces and part of me is thinking that Mendy may be the better choice for this game. Even I know this won't happen. He just is a lot more commanding in air than Kepa.

10 minutes ago, Stats said:

Kepa has been brilliant last few games and deserves to be no.1, but sometimes I am of thinking that you sometimes have to play the team that suits the opposition. Brentford targeted Martinez in their game against United earlier on in season by constantly lumping the ball forward and getting set pieces. Kepa will start, but Brentford are a team that have switched their style of football since being in the PL and now very direct. They will lump balls forward and target a lot of set pieces. I noticed against Villa, that even a lot of set pieces they won but a lot of their headers glanced wide. Brentford will be even more dangerous on set pieces and part of me is thinking that Mendy may be the better choice for this game. Even I know this won't happen. He just is a lot more commanding in air than Kepa.

Good point. Villa indeed won a ton of headers in the box, which was no wonder when we had Cucurella as CB. The question is whether it is worth denting Kepa's confidence now he is on that run. We might try to field an aerially strong team overall. K2 definitely needs to play, so does RLC, Kai, Chilly and maybe finally give Broja a start, let Auba rest for ManUre.

On 17/10/2022 at 18:00, Stats said:

Brentford's frontline press like crazy, so Jorgi and Mendy passing to each other is a recipe for disaster. I'd keep what we have & hope those in front of Kepa can deal with what's thrown at them.

11 hours ago, LAM09 said:

Brentford's frontline press like crazy, so Jorgi and Mendy passing to each other is a recipe for disaster. I'd keep what we have & hope those in front of Kepa can deal with what's thrown at them.

I trust Potter will come up with something.

Expecting a very tough game so I hope Potter doesn’t go nuts with the players shifting around to unnatural positions.

Can see Conor coming into the XI in place of Kova. We really need to match Brentford’s intensity so having fresher legs will help. For the same reason I’d consider starting Broja here as well. 

Pick a team that Brentford won’t be expecting or specifically be planning for. Go for maximum work rate and pressure in behind. Broja, Pulisic, Mount, Gallagher. Best way to beat them is to force them back and not allow quick breaks.