Brentford 0 - 0 Chelsea

ZAPHOD2319

6 minutes ago, Muzchap said:

We didn't deserve it to be fair though.

It's a wake up call for Potter and he better fucking learn quick.

Brentford played well but that's not the point.
In the last minute of the first half how did Havertz go down ?
Simple lesson in Physics: I stand on both feet and you try to push me - you can't unless you do some real big action. I stand on one leg (like Havertz as he was making his run) and you push me again - a little shove and I 'm on the floor.
Also we fielded a depleted side.

Edited by cosmicway

I do feel another 5 or 10 minutes and we would have broken them down, they were just getting pushed back deeper and numerous half chances and spaces kept cropping up as they tired in the last 10-15 minutes. Unfortunately, the space on the edge of the box was there for Kova when we needed someone like Mount or Gallagher there to tee off.

I've been very critical of him in recent times, but I thought Pulisic looked very bright when he came on. He looked sharp and confident running at people which he hasn't done enough at times. On the flip side Havertz was really poor and not sure why he ended up staying on for so long when Broja and Mount went off relatively early. 

1 minute ago, Superblue said:

I do feel another 5 or 10 minutes and we would have broken them down, they were just getting pushed back deeper and numerous half chances and spaces kept cropping up as they tired in the last 10-15 minutes. Unfortunately, the space on the edge of the box was there for Kova when we needed someone like Mount or Gallagher there to tee off.

I've been very critical of him in recent times, but I thought Pulisic looked very bright when he came on. He looked sharp and confident running at people which he hasn't done enough at times. On the flip side Havertz was really poor and not sure why he ended up staying on for so long when Broja and Mount went off relatively early. 

Pulisic is always trying his best but he 's not achieving much against strong premier league defenses.
Havertz is just a little bit better than Werner.

I am sorry but if we play like we did first half when we come up against United, if they are in the sort of form they are tonight against Spurs, we will get pasted. 

Havertz is done here also, barring a miracle, I mean what in the fuck sort of generational talent footballer is he meant to be? He is fucking honking.

4 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

I am sorry but if we play like we did first half when we come up against United, if they are in the sort of form they are tonight against Spurs, we will get pasted. 

Havertz is done here also, barring a miracle, I mean what in the fuck sort of generational talent footballer is he meant to be? He is fucking honking.

Starting games slowly is definitely a concern. We started both Milan games sloppy in the first 10-15 minutes, Palace was a poor start and the last 2, the first half has been really poor and we've been thankful for Kepa.

We've looked significantly stronger in the second half of games but United will be a bigger test and they're in a bit of form currently; we can't afford to be chasing the game. Need an atmosphere at the Bridge at the weekend and the players to feed off that. 

10 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Scenes if Havertz is in the starting XI on Saturday against United.  

The most frustrating aspect for me is that there is definitely a player in there, and someone who has a lot of attributes to be a big player at this club but the lack of consistency is infuriating and when he's off his game, he offers nothing and plays very much one pace. 

He can't live off the Champions League final goal and Club World Cup penalty his entire Chelsea career. You do feel this season really is do or die for him. If he can't find that consistency we need, I wouldn't be surprised if we moved on from him. I don't really want that to happen personally because he's still young and there's a nagging feeling I have that he could very easily kick on at some stage and we'll be looking back wondering what if, but ultimately it comes down to him. His situation is not a case of lack of opportunities. 

Pulisic has at least now played well against Wolves, and looked significantly more threatening tonight than Havertz did in less than half the game time. He's doing everything right to pinch that spot from Havertz if both continue playing like this.

Top four is becoming thing from the past. We don't stand a chance. This season and how many more? Something drastic need to happen to change our fortune.  Spent how much last summer? Can we name one player that was success from the last three transfer windows? Apart from 38 years old Silva? 

We made awful decisions regarding recruitment. Awful lot of money for average players. Our misfortune with injuries look like never ending affair. It will cost us CL spot. Win or lose, I see us on the 7th place come May. 

It wasn't Tuchel holding back our attackers. It is them , participating in the attack, around the box, when we desperately need a goal, passing back to the half line under pressure what holds them back. And lack of talent. Giant hole  that  no managerial change can patch.

Sterling another past it player we spent fortune on. We act like retirement fond these days. Bunch of past it players on big pension checks.

2 minutes ago, Superblue said:

The most frustrating aspect for me is that there is definitely a player in there, and someone who has a lot of attributes to be a big player at this club but the lack of consistency is infuriating and when he's off his game, he offers nothing and plays very much one pace. 

He can't live off the Champions League final goal and Club World Cup penalty his entire Chelsea career. You do feel this season really is do or die for him. If he can't find that consistency we need, I wouldn't be surprised if we moved on from him. I don't really want that to happen personally because he's still young and there's a nagging feeling I have that he could very easily kick on at some stage and we'll be looking back wondering what if, but ultimately it comes down to him. His situation is not a case of lack of opportunities. 

Pulisic has at least now played well against Wolves, and looked significantly more threatening tonight than Havertz did in less than half the game time. He's doing everything right to pinch that spot from Havertz if both continue playing like this.

Ok, he made that run in the cl final and pushed the ball into the empty net. Great - history, but his overall contribution ? It's his third year now.
Also Pulisic schooled the entire Real Madrid defense but again his overall contribution is not great, or they would n't have transfer listed him.
To tell you the truth when Havertz was about to join Chelsea I watched him in a Leverkusen match and I was not impressed. Well, he did n't look like the cream of Europe to me.

7 minutes ago, laura90 said:

Top four is becoming thing from the past. We don't stand a chance. This season and how many more? Something drastic need to happen to change our fortune.  Spent how much last summer? Can we name one player that was success from the last three transfer windows? Apart from 38 years old Silva? 

We made awful decisions regarding recruitment. Awful lot of money for average players. Our misfortune with injuries look like never ending affair. It will cost us CL spot. Win or lose, I see us on the 7th place come May. 

It wasn't Tuchel holding back our attackers. It is them , participating in the attack, around the box, when we desperately need a goal, passing back to the half line under pressure what holds them back. And lack of talent. Giant hole  that  no managerial change can patch.

Sterling another past it player we spent fortune on. We act like retirement fond these days. Bunch of past it players on big pension checks.

The truth about Tuchel is he was a bit confused with the many changes in the team and the problem of Kante's absence due to his injury at the same time.
He was going to put things right (by as much as it is possible) but he was offed.
Potter is another very good manager but he has to find his way around the same problems.

Edited by cosmicway

55 minutes ago, laura90 said:

Top four is becoming thing from the past. We don't stand a chance.

We hear this every time we have a poor performance and/or drop points since the Sarri season and everytime we make it.

If we don't make it then Potters job should be under review.

5 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Losing James should not have us become this fucking poor. 

Ridiculous how one dimensional we are. Potter better fix it up. 

It does feel like we're very much in transition with our playing style under Potter. Even in that short time, you can see that he wants the ball moved up the pitch a bit quicker and doesn't mind us being a bit more direct in our approach and willing to punch balls through central areas. 

I do think some of the problem stems from being drilled into us under Tuchel to play in a much more patient manner. I feel at times, in bursts, we look more threatening, and then at other times we can be very slow and pedestrian. I watch some players and it does at times feel like they're playing a game within their own head to try and play in a more expansive manner as opposed to what they are used to.

At times tonight, we had joy and gave Brentford problems trying to put the ball through central areas or inside channels as opposed to just looking to find spaces in wider areas. In particular I thought Kova showed more intent with his passing, opting at times for more difficult options centrally as opposed to an easy out ball wide. 

I think over a longer period of time, we'll be much more pleasing on the eye and will create more varied chances under Potter, which should also bode well for coping without Reece as we shouldn't be solely reliant on our wing backs to create chances for us like we have in the past.

5 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Ridiculous how one dimensional we are. Potter better fix it up.

Yeah! this is the Potter that has come in for the last 7 games and not lost 1 of them 5 wins 2 draws, not conceded a goal in the last 5 games, for 12 against 2.

Yeah terrible aint he.

Our biggest problem IMO is the midfield. The attackers are tentative, wasteful and fall over a lot but I really think having midfielders who rarely move the ball forward (in a meaningful way) is holding this team back a lot. Kovacic and Jorhinho might have strengths, but creativity isn't one of them unfortunately. 

I was only able to watch the first half yesterday but the endless lateral and back passing was maddening.

1 hour ago, Bren said:

Our biggest problem IMO is the midfield. The attackers are tentative, wasteful and fall over a lot but I really think having midfielders who rarely move the ball forward (in a meaningful way) is holding this team back a lot. Kovacic and Jorhinho might have strengths, but creativity isn't one of them unfortunately. 

I was only able to watch the first half yesterday but the endless lateral and back passing was maddening.

That's where I feel Loftus-Cheek or another mid with that dribbling ability would come in handy.   Jorginho and Kovacic are fine for retaining possession and keeping hold of the ball and controlling but sometimes you need that spark or that bit of physicality to break through and make that run into the box to keep the opposition guessing and create a chance for Aubameyang or one of the other attackers. 

That's where I feel we'll get picked apart by United as they have Fernandes in that sort of role and then Rashford/Sancho/Antony will be a handful to deal with for whichever player is selected in the fullback roles.  

Reece really was a cheat code on that flank!