Branislav Ivanovic

.Cee

Yeah but wasn't Ferreira a right-back ? Mourinho likes one of the full-back to be imposing figure : Ferreira, Gallas, Maicon, Chivu, Arbeloa, Ivanovic. Typically, there's one big full-back, I even think he sees it as some sort of an obligation in the team. That's why Ivanovic started last 60 games in the league.

Did you just call Ferreira an imposing figure?

Brana, thanks for everything. It is not "natural" for a player to decline THIS much in a period of a one year. Feel sorry for him, tbh, he is actually not that old.

We still love you very much, you'll be great addition from bench.

I think he should be moved back to CB i do think he is faster than Terry and Cahill so maybe a partnership with zouma can give us a quite fast and mobile back 4 with baba and Azpi.

That's what frustrates me most. Had we gotten a top fullback during the window that is capable of slotting into the starting XI then Iva would have been an extra option available to solve our CB issues.

Yeah but wasn't Ferreira a right-back ? Mourinho likes one of the full-back to be imposing figure : Ferreira, Gallas, Maicon, Chivu, Arbeloa, Ivanovic. Typically, there's one big full-back, I even think he sees it as some sort of an obligation in the team. That's why Ivanovic started last 60 games in the league.

Ferreira, Arbeloa are not exactly strongmen. being 6ft tall, which is still rather small imo, does not make you an imposing figure.

Skill is much more important in modern football than athleticism. Not that it is irrelevant. Esp. in the epl you can't have 11 matas on the pitch. most successful sides as bayern or barcelona feature some degree of athleticism but with a clear emphasis on skill.

As for Mourinho, he probably played iva throughout last season cos he scored some prettty vital and brilliant goals not many fullbacks would score. he gave us offensive balance regarding willians lack of goal threat. not that it was a great tactic but as long as it worked....

He played OK today but on the other hand, it's kind hard to judge considering Arsenal didn't really test him that much, especially after they went down to 10 men.

Arsenal got tactics completely wrong, since they could terrotize our defense exploring our right side, instead they were playing with a CF that is not exactly a CF. No surprise Walcott probably breaked the record of off sides in one single match.

Good to read he had a decent match and hilarious to read that Arsenal wasn't set up to explore the biggest liability in the world of football.

It doesn't mean Mourinho isn't held responsible for this situation. If we can't play the bench player because he isn't good enough, it's Mourinho's fault because we had a great replacement that has been underused. If we haven't signed someone who can cope with defending in England, still Mourinho's fault to an extent (but also the board) and if we have a capable replacement that just needs time and matches to prove his worth, this is even more Mourinho's fault.

All that said I didn't expect - or even wanted Baba to play today. It wasn't the time for that. But if Mourinho doesn't give him more chances he won't ever develop to reach any potential he might have. So I hope we see him in COC and being given a few chances against certain kinds of opposition, especially playing at the Bridge.

He did not have a decent game, but a good game.

And Arsenal tried to exploit that side for sure - always go for the attacking fullback side. They could not do it because he played well - defended better - and was helped by more work from the attacking players. Helped too by Oscars presence.

Pedro and hazard don't do that naturally like Oscar, so we are a bit softer this season.

Good game but you know it if Arsenal wanted it more to attack that right side he would got destroyed. I see this on Ivanovic's face that he suffers when he has to deal with any bit of balance and acceleration. No he's not back. He probably will be a starter here I just can't imagine how he can start every league game.

Oh and his crossing is still terrible.

Nonetheless good game but Azpilicueta is the defender we want.

Arsenal did try to exploit both fullbacks with diagonal balls behind them and they even targeted Iva several times before they went a man down but he had a good game. He still should not be our starting RB but it was the kind of decent enough performance he put in most of the times last season. He's not getting displaced anytime soon by Baba if what we saw against Maccabi was anything to go by.

Well, Arsenal did set up to exploit Ivanovic's weaknesses but he just refused to blink. the weeks rest did him a whole of good. Despite of arsenal's attacks 54% came on his side, of all our players, he won most tackles and aerial duells, completed the most clearances and interceptions. If only we would rest him more so he can be fresh for challenges like this one.