Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

The challenge in January remains agreeing a fee. And Brighton will want significantly more than the £62m #CFC agreed for Marc Cucurella.

😂

It was deffo worth it, so let's throw more cash there.

Graham Potter likes him and knows him well. 

This is worrying as hell. Wasn't the promised change of style of operation was, like, having Sporting Director in place, build a vision, buy the players for the vision and choose the manager for it, that can be replaced if needed, just like most serious clubs do? It's not the same thing as "Potter picking who he likes" as this is exactly the same thing we did under Roman, except with different calibre of manager. GP having say in transfers is totally different than building a team to Potter's liking and according to media, the latter is happening.

Caicedo now with the idea that a more creative, more well rounded midfielder comes in in the summer as his long term partner I’d be good with. Caicedo  as our only midfield signing whilst extending Jorginho and I don’t like the move.

I don’t know. If we were never linked with Enzo to begin with and we didn’t have concrete evidence that he really wanted to come I’d probably be delighted with Caicedo. But now I can’t help but be disappointed in him because Enzo is clearly superior and if it ends up being an either or between the two we chose wrong.

26 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

😂

It was deffo worth it, so let's throw more cash there.

This is worrying as hell. Wasn't the promised change of style of operation was, like, having Sporting Director in place, build a vision, buy the players for the vision and choose the manager for it, that can be replaced if needed, just like most serious clubs do? It's not the same thing as "Potter picking who he likes" as this is exactly the same thing we did under Roman, except with different calibre of manager. GP having say in transfers is totally different than building a team to Potter's liking and according to media, the latter is happening.

Course managers get involved with transfers, if we are building around our manager, which with the massive contract he got you can only assume we are, to not ask him what players he likes would be stupid.

29 minutes ago, TheHulk said:

• Kepa
  • Mendy
  • Bettinelli (association-trained HG)
  • Silva
  • Koulibaly
  • Badiashile
  • Azpi
  • Cucurella
  • Fofana
  • James (club-trained HG)
  • Chalobah (club-trained HG)
  • Chilwell (association-trained HG)
  • Jorginho
  • Kante
  • Kovacic
  • Zakaria
  • Mount (club-trained HG)
  • RLC (club-trained HG)
  • Gallagher (club-trained HG)
  • Chukwuemeka (association-trained HG)
  • Pulisic
  • Ziyech
  • Havertz
  • Sterling (association-trained HG)
  • Aubameyang
  • Felix
  • Mudryk
  • D. Fofana 

That's 19 non-HG, 5 club-trained and 4 association-trained players for a total of 28. The maximum squad size is 25 so three will have to be cut for UCL. Even if we leave out D. Fofana and replace Bettinelli with an U21 academy keeper for the B list to make room, that still leaves one spot to be cleared in the current squad.

For PL squad registration we're fine as Mudryk, Badiashile, D. Fofana and Chukwuemeka all still count as U21 (born after 1st January 2001).

Also worth noting that a maximum of 3 new players can be added for the knockouts so any additional new signings made in the January window would be left out if we want to include all of the other new guys (Badiashile, Felix, Mudryk). Maybe if we sign a new midfielder like Caicedo or something like that, he would be more important to have in the CL squad than Badiashile? Either way it's not ideal and we can't fit in everyone.

Edited by Jype

Just now, Vegetable said:

I know Twitter journos have to eat too, but I'd still let the new signings play few games here before they are displacing anyone from CL roster. Plus, we don't know if anyone is leaving this window or not, so… 

True, but like I said the UEFA rules still allow for a maximum of 3 new players added mid-season so some of the new signings will have to miss out even if there are some outgoings.  

But yeah let's see what happens between now and the end of the window.

56 minutes ago, Jype said:

That's 19 non-HG, 5 club-trained and 4 association-trained players for a total of 28. The maximum squad size is 25 so three will have to be cut for UCL. Even if we leave out D. Fofana and replace Bettinelli with an U21 academy keeper for the B list to make room, that still leaves one spot to be cleared in the current squad.

For PL squad registration we're fine as Mudryk, Badiashile, D. Fofana and Chukwuemeka all still count as U21 (born after 1st January 2001).

Also worth noting that a maximum of 3 new players can be added for the knockouts so any additional new signings made in the January window would be left out if we want to include all of the other new guys (Badiashile, Felix, Mudryk). Maybe if we sign a new midfielder like Caicedo or something like that, he would be more important to have in the CL squad than Badiashile? Either way it's not ideal and we can't fit in everyone.

If Pulisic injury is really so serious maybe he will be cut from CL List?

51 minutes ago, Jype said:

True, but like I said the UEFA rules still allow for a maximum of 3 new players added mid-season so some of the new signings will have to miss out even if there are some outgoings.  

But yeah let's see what happens between now and the end of the window.

That is a shame, I didn't know about that rule. Cruel for any new player not to get to play while everyone else does, if we sign any more top players.

29 minutes ago, ulvhedin said:

If Pulisic injury is really so serious maybe he will be cut from CL List?

Yeah that would be the most obvious choice if the need to cut someone still exists by the registration deadline and the problem hasn't already taken care of itself with some outgoings. Pulisic will miss both RO16 legs to injury anyway.

Only problem with that is how Pulisic himself would take it and how it would potentially affect the dressing room? He's proven to be a bit of a cunt who doesn't take kindly when his playing time is reduced so I can't even imagine how pissed he would feel if he were dropped from the squad list completely. Especially if we somehow managed to qualify for the QFs, let alone go any further than that, I think Pulisic would be sulking quite a bit for not even having the chance of being involved. 😂