Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

Still no agreement between Chelsea and Benfica for Enzo Fernandez. Talks are not solely on a payment structure but the overall package. Yesterday Benfica conceded on a multi-payment structure but only if #CFC made a lump-sum first payment covering a large part of the fee.

Either way, the parties are no closer to a deal than than Monday. Nothing is verbally agreed yet or signed. And sources indicate #CFC have never wanted to trigger Fernandez’s release clause.

Chelsea must decide now whether to make a counter offer on terms, go against their position and trigger release clause or walk away. Talks have not ceased (they remain advanced) but Benfica, who have a divided board on this, are yet to fully approve any deal #CFC have offered.

There is plenty of time left in the window, but the longer it drags on the more likely Benfica are to lock in their ‘release clause or nothing’ stance. Chelsea’s next move is now very important if they are to get a deal done on their terms.

Sources have always indicated if a deal of this magnitude is not favourable to #CFC (knowing the fee would always be above current market value before they bid) they wouldn’t be held to ransom.

And just to clarify, Benfica’s tactic, which I reference above, would be to get a larger proportion of any agreed number outside the release clause in the first instalment rather than seeking a bigger transfer fee.

@benjacobs

After the disaster windows of the past I am a lot more concerned about buying the wrong players than missing out on specific players. Almost no player is irreplacable but signing the wrong player on one of those bloated contracts we hand out  will set us back for years.

If Enzo comes, great, if not well at least we did not drop 120m on a single player who does not really improve us instantly. Hence, I am fairly relaxed about the Enzo saga.

If however the club would do something unforgiveable like signing Pigford or Maguire i would probably break the desk with my head and throw my pc through the next window.

2 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

After the disaster windows of the past I am a lot more concerned about buying the wrong players than missing out on specific players. Almost no player is irreplacable but signing the wrong player on one of those bloated contracts we hand out  will set us back for years.

If Enzo comes, great, if not well at least we did not drop 120m on a single player who does not really improve us instantly. Hence, I am fairly relaxed about the Enzo saga.

Enzo is worth every penny. I'd be beyond gutted if this doesn't happen and that's before factoring him potentially moving to a rival instead or us signing Declan Rice as the alternative.

Edited by Tomo

Absolute amateur hour. Trying to lowball the release clause by tens of millions of pounds. 

Wouldn’t blame Benfica at all for being annoyed and dismissing this out of hand. And now if we walk away we risk pissing off the player himself after his head has clearly been turned.

PAY THE DAMN MONEY

2 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Absolute amateur hour. Trying to lowball the release clause by tens of millions of pounds. 

Wouldn’t blame Benfica at all for being annoyed and dismissing this out of hand. And now if we walk away we risk pissing off the player himself after his head has clearly been turned.

PAY THE DAMN MONEY

861506a.jpg

120M?Best I can do is 85M

Edited by TheHulk

4 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Enzo is worth every penny. I'd be beyond gutted if this doesn't happen and that's before factoring him potentially moving to a rival instead or us signing Declan Rice as the alternative.

Enzo is a facilitator, he needs space and a good supporting cast for his impact to be palpable. Enzo for Argentina is great bc he has de Paul to free him off defensively and allows him to roam around and into space. And then he has Messi who moves into the space Enzo creates,  receives the ball in dangerous positions and can pick the killer final ball. This is vital, bc while Enzo is somwehat capable executing these roles himself, de Paul and Messi are better at them respectively which allows Enzo to concentrate on his main strengths by pulling the strings in between the lines. We have neither a Messi nor a de Paul. for Benfica, Enzo is not quite as impressive albeit still decent simply because the Portugese league is a joke. Against the few strong oppositions they faced, mostly PSG, he looked ok but was clearly outshone by Verrati. this for me is not a 120m player, maybe he will become one but only if we find the right system and players alongside him.

8 minutes ago, Superblue said:

How do you take this as us lowballing Benfica?

It says the proposal was never those figures.

If the highest offer was 85M€ and Benfica's stance has always been "120M€ or fuck off" from the very start, how is the 85M€ offer not a lowball?

Though I have to say I'm not sure if I buy this report from Romano. So far he's the only one on record saying the offer never went past 85M€ and literally everyone else both in Portugal as well as England have been talking about 120M-127M€ all along. The usually reliable ones like Ben Jacobs, Jacob Steinberg etc. have been consistently reporting the club are willing to pay higher than the 120M€ clause to get preferred payment structure, and just earlier today Matt Law returned from his holidays and said in an article the club had offered "more than £100M" for Enzo.

If the offer never went higher than 85M€ surely the negotiations would have been cut very short and not continue for a couple of weeks? So maybe it's an official offer made very early into the process to kick start the negotiations after which there was at some point a rough verbal agreement over the 120-127M€ that was just never made into an official transfer bid because of final issues to be resolved first, which in the end proved more difficult than expected.

Edited by Jype

3 minutes ago, Superblue said:

How do you take this as us lowballing Benfica?

It says the proposal was never those figures.

Everyone credible reported otherwise, connect two and two and it's doesn't take a genius to know the owner promised Benfica and Enzo they would pay up the required money and the only official offer they got was 85. Dirty shameless tricks from the American.

Edited by TheHulk

Update:

Benfica's position was one of total intransigence: either the clause value was upfront or nothing. Chelsea backed off. For now, the deal really fell, and within the structure they already consider everything concluded and with a player to stay. Internally, the player has already begun to apologize for his attitude.

Have fun convincing top player to join to here on, what a bunch of incompetent losers.

85m offer perfectly fair to my mind. They’ve come to meet us seriously to discuss and the player is pushing for it. They’re obviously negotiating to push it up. If it doesn’t happen fair enough. Not the clubs fault if some fucking “ITKs” published some bullshit that we were meeting the release clause