Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

34 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

You don't have to bow down to others' demands while there's talent overseas. If we seriously put down a £85m bid for Fofana, we should be directing that amount to Leipzig & probably have a deal wrapped up. 

We signed Cucurella for more than £60 million and could spend up to £85 million on Fofana. What are West Ham going to say if we go after Rice next summer, £150m?

When the likes of City and PSG are turning down deals for high prices, it tells you a lot. There's a big difference between value & plain stupidity.   

Talking about deals almost a decade ago is irrelevant.  

Also, the second comparison is incorrect - Tiemoué Bakayoko - Transfer history | Transfermarkt (£36m)

Mateo Kovacic - Transfer history | Transfermarkt (£40.50m)

If we're sticking to recent times then United got world cup and 4x UCL winner Varane for around half the price they spent on Maguire.

4 minutes ago, Tomo said:

If we're sticking to recent times then United got world cup and 4x UCL winner Varane for around half the price they spent on Maguire.

Look at the one constant in my examples - EPL sides. That's where my issue is & you've proved my point exactly.

14 hours ago, Pizy said:

Why? We need him. Unless you want to see Azpi playing CB for the whole season?

I want us to break the cycle of being held over a barrel for players regardless of their individual quality. When the price goes beyond our valuation we have to walk away or we are fuelling the madness.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

49 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

You don't have to bow down to others' demands while there's talent overseas. If we seriously put down a £85m bid for Fofana, we should be directing that amount to Leipzig & probably have a deal wrapped up. 

Why? Is Gvardiol supposed to be better than Fofana? 

I don't agree. As long as Fofana has fully healed from his leg break I'd say he's currently the better player of the two and they're both still equally young and developing. Fofana is already settled in the PL and will probably settle quicker.

1 hour ago, LAM09 said:

We signed Cucurella for more than £60 million and could spend up to £85 million on Fofana. What are West Ham going to say if we go after Rice next summer, £150m?

When the likes of City and PSG are turning down deals for high prices, it tells you a lot. There's a big difference between value & plain stupidity.   

Talking about deals almost a decade ago is irrelevant.  

Also, the second comparison is incorrect - Tiemoué Bakayoko - Transfer history | Transfermarkt (£36m)

Mateo Kovacic - Transfer history | Transfermarkt (£40.50m)

I think with KK and now Cucu, Tuchel is considering the left side of our defense settled. So Gvardiol wouldn’t make much sense now. We want a right sided CB which Fofana is. 

15 minutes ago, Jype said:

I don't agree. As long as Fofana has fully healed from his leg break I'd say he's currently the better player of the two and they're both still equally young and developing. Fofana is already settled in the PL and will probably settle quicker.

i am afraid that if we go for fofana, year later city buys gvardiol, we gonna kick ourselves just like we did with lukaku.

80+ million is crazy money for still an unproven player. 

15 minutes ago, whats happening said:

i am afraid that if we go for fofana, year later city buys gvardiol, we gonna kick ourselves just like we did with lukaku.

Or Gvardiol might have a season not so great and a year from now no top club would even want him. The same happened with that Lacroix dude or whatever his name was, last year he was all the hype and this year he's already forgotten.

At least Fofana's proven himself in two countries already, including EPL.

58 minutes ago, whats happening said:

In what way is Gvardiol any more proven?

1 hour ago, Jype said:

I'd say so, and the former has European experience under his belt (CL & EL) plus 10 caps for Croatia.

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

I think with KK and now Cucu, Tuchel is considering the left side of our defense settled. So Gvardiol wouldn’t make much sense now. We want a right sided CB which Fofana is. 

KK can play on either side, so that shouldn't be the deciding factor on who we should or shouldn't go for.

I really do wonder if the people creaming their pants over Gvardiol have even watched him for more than 5 full matches or if it's just the good old bandwagon effect where everyone just pretends to be an expert on him despite knowing next to nothing about the player aside from the fact he's young and highly rated.

Don't get me wrong, I too have heard plenty of good things about him and would happily take him in the squad but I just find it funny how he's somehow gained this god-like status on this forum despite actually proving very little in his career so far. 

Edited by Jype

2 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

I'd say so, and the former has European experience under his belt (CL & EL) plus 10 caps for Croatia.

KK can play on either side, so that shouldn't be the deciding factor on who we should or shouldn't go for.

He CAN play on the right for sure. But as evidenced by where he has appeared thus far in a Chelsea shirt and where I saw him play most in the Napoli footage, I think he looks best on the left.

What that means for Cucurella if/when we do sign Fofana is what I’m curious about. Because we ain’t spending £55m for a player to sit on the bench.

12 minutes ago, Pizy said:

He CAN play on the right for sure. But as evidenced by where he has appeared thus far in a Chelsea shirt and where I saw him play most in the Napoli footage, I think he looks best on the left.

What that means for Cucurella if/when we do sign Fofana is what I’m curious about. Because we ain’t spending £55m for a player to sit on the bench.

If we go as far in all comps as we did last season we'll be lucky to get a midweek off for the remaineder of the season once the UCL kicks in.

There's more than enough games to go round.

Edited by Tomo

19 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Bewilders me how even after last season people still can’t grasp this. 

We are always going to pay more for depth given we need real quality that takes us closer to the top two. 

21 minutes ago, Tomo said:

If we go as far in all comps as we did last season we'll be lucky to get a midweek off for the remaineder of the season once the UCL kicks in.

True. I’m just saying that there’s going to be some tough decisions for Tuchel to make if he has KK, Fofana, Cucurella, and a fully fit Chilly to consider. 

15 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Bewilders me how even after last season people still can’t grasp this. 

We are always going to pay more for depth given we need real quality that takes us closer to the top two. 

I "played" this season on FM last year and if it's the reality this year it will make everything of the last two seasons and even the restart period feel like a once a week stroll of a schedule (if we try for everything), especially after the world cup.

I wouldn't be surprised if we have to pull a Klopp and unleash the U23's on a cup tie at some point and it would be out of sheer necessity.

4 hours ago, Tomo said:

Seems like the EFL cup is still on for this year (no surprises there)? Wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.