Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

3 hours ago, Strike said:

Also, he was arrested on suspicion of sexual assault. Clubs have been wary of going for him

An admission: I never go anywhere or read anything that would update me on stuff like this but wasn't this a relatively recent thing? In other words, wasn't there plenty of time for clubs to have made a move before it came up if they had wanted to?

1 hour ago, Blues Forever said:

I was not the first one on the, "Kante must be sold while he retains value and before his legs go.", bus. (As far as I'm aware @Vesperwas.) I did get on the bus though and never got off. It would not have been popular but I would have sold last summer and would certainly do so this time.

24 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

An admission: I never go anywhere or read anything that would update me on stuff like this but wasn't this a relatively recent thing? In other words, wasn't there plenty of time for clubs to have made a move before it came up if they had wanted to?

I think this may have been last autumn. I believe there was some interest from teams last summer but Brighton sold White to Arsenal for big money so there was no pressure on them to negotiate for him at the time.

It would clearly be a warning sign on him currently though. I can't see any club taking a risk on him with that hanging over his head. Like you mentioned previous, this may suit him if it means he goes into one more season then can leave for free if and when these charges are resolved.

38 minutes ago, whats happening said:

would be really stupid if we sell kante to united.

I am in two minds with it. The guy is our best paid player and is not a consistent starter. He is also going to be 32 next season and with his injuries, is it worth keeping a player on the books when we could free up those wages and spend towards other players wages and new signings? We have Gallagher who while doesn't offer the defensive security Kante does, offers same energy and better goal threat. And if we decide to buy another CM, who is younger and even better on the ball, I would not be so against it. I wouldn't say I regret any of the players we sold to United in hindsight (Mata and Matic).

12 minutes ago, Stats said:

I am in two minds with it. The guy is our best paid player and is not a consistent starter. He is also going to be 32 next season and with his injuries, is it worth keeping a player on the books when we could free up those wages and spend towards other players wages and new signings? We have Gallagher who while doesn't offer the defensive security Kante does, offers same energy and better goal threat. And if we decide to buy another CM, who is younger and even better on the ball, I would not be so against it. I wouldn't say I regret any of the players we sold to United in hindsight (Mata and Matic).

The only reason I wouldn't let him go is simply down to the necessity for experience inside the dressing room over the course a full season. 

Kante is still someone you want starting in a big match against a big team. Premier League or Champions League. Like, if we are playing against any of the other big PL clubs I would want a fit Kante in the XI. He is still capable of amazing single matches or run of a few matches just not for an entire season like he used to.

For those reasons there’s no chance I’d sell him to United unless it was for a silly fee we couldn’t really say no to like £50m.

1 hour ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

After reading that the sale will not be official until Monday, I can stop checking Twitter for signings this weekend. 😂 

damn, it really was a close run thing, as Tuesday our license runs out, and if we had not been sold, we would have went into liquidation proceedings within 30 days or so, barring an extension

Edited by Vesper

40 minutes ago, DDA said:

The only reason I wouldn't let him go is simply down to the necessity for experience inside the dressing room over the course a full season. 

I mean we have Silva, Azpi (if he stays), Jorginho (if he stays) and even Mendy. I just don't think for business purposes with wages he is on, he is as vital as he was before. There will be games for sure that if he is not here, we would be like 'damn, why did we get rid of Kante', however there will be a large chunk where he is unable to play due to risk of injury or him actually being injured.

Barcelona put 10 players up for sale

(all are dross, except for Frenkie de Jong)

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1617021/man-utd-arsenal-leeds-barcelona-transfer-gossip

Among the cluster of stars ESPN claim Xavi has told to beat it, there remain several who may not be of particular interest to Premier League sides. Martin Braithwaite, Luuk de Jong and Oscar Mingueza are among them, while Francisco Trincao might have bagged himself a bumper move if his loan spell at Wolves had been more productive. 

But the other six could draw attention primarily from Arsenal, Man Utd and Leeds. The Gunners may have the most at stake as boss Mikel Arteta will need a new centre-back if William Saliba opts against returning to north London, a new midfielder either way and at least one striker.  

Defensively, Barca have put Samuel Umtiti and Clement Lenglet on the chopping block which could be enough to get Arteta's attention.

The former has somehow spent year after year collecting dust on the side-lines in Catalonia, without actively trying to seek out a move elsewhere. Last season, he made one appearance in all competitions and La Blaugrana would surely jump at the chance to shift him from the wage bill. As for Arsenal, they would be taking a punt on a World Cup winner with 31 France caps. 

Lenglet has played a whole lot more football than Umtiti over the past few years, but he slipped down the pecking order under Xavi this season. The 26-year-old may be less of a gamble than his out-of-favour team-mate, but big wages could put Arsenal off any potential deal. 

In midfield, Barca are supposedly looking to offload Miralem Pjanic, who has spent the past season on loan at Besiktas. Another player whose career has nosedived in recent years, going after him would be a gamble for the Gunners, but he can boast fruitful spells at Juventus and Roma on his CV. 

Finally, in what could shape up to be an Arsenal-bound clearance sale at the Camp Nou, Barca are expected to listen to offers for Memphis Depay. The Dutch forward only signed for La Blaugrana last summer and has put up respectable numbers since, but the scintillating form of Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and the potential signing of Robert Lewandowski may leave him frozen out. The Gunners could then step in, given that Alexandre Lacazette's imminent exit will leave them with just one recognised striker. 

United's vested interest lies in the potential sale of Frenkie de Jong. Barca's financial situation could force them to consider bids for those they are willing to cash in on, and while they would be content to free up space in the squad, the competition for De Jong's signature removes any 'bargain' element from the Red Devils' perspective.

New boss Erik ten Hag has supposedly told the former Ajax midfielder that he is prepared to build United's midfield around him if he snubs Champions League football to join his Premier League project in a deal worth £59m.

Leeds may be pleasantly surprised to find out that Xavi is willing to part ways with midfielder Riqui Puig. Granted, the club's initial interest reportedly stemmed from Marcelo Bielsa's time in charge, but his opinion still carries plenty of weight in Yorkshire and there are sure to be one or two considering the possibility of a cut-price deal for the diminutive 22-year-old, who was once tipped to be the next big thing in Catalonia. 

3 hours ago, Stats said:

I am in two minds with it. The guy is our best paid player and is not a consistent starter. He is also going to be 32 next season and with his injuries, is it worth keeping a player on the books when we could free up those wages and spend towards other players wages and new signings? 

yes i would keep him. he's a club legend and needs to be treated as one. if he doesnt want to leave i would let him stay. and i dont want to see him go to our rival. its not like we are in financial trouble so we have to free up the wages.