Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

3 minutes ago, DDA said:

Barca are very arrogant.. they would probably rather cut their nose off to spite their face. 

Barca know our need is urgent, that we are running out of time and out of options. They are simply trying to leverage the negotiating conditions to achieve the best result for themselves. Not only are they entitled to do this, it is exactly what they should do. Good for them.

Our negotiators can't control what Barca do, only what they do themselves. What I hope they will do, now and always, is be calm and think long term instead of short. If we keep getting manipulated into 'he'll have to do' transfers we'll live in this cycle of desperate overspending and underachievement by our recruits for ever more. The only way to teach the market that we can't be messed around is to not let them mess us around.

It's time to sing your song TB:

2 hours ago, DDA said:

Also could have put the Lukaku 100m and this money together, we could have had Halaand last year. 

According to a breakdown I saw, had it gone ahead, the deal for Haaland last summer would have totalled £500,000,000 all in. Half a billion smackeroonies! 

2 hours ago, LAM09 said:

Leao is the only recent target that brings some sort of excitement & could help take us to another level should he continue to improve. The less I say about the rest, the better.

Lam, talk me through what I am not seeing in this lad. I won't mince my words, to me he looks extremely ordinary indeed. His stats are regarded as impressive but we know it's always important to assess the input not just the output. He has achieved stuff but looking at his videos I have no idea how. I see no superior ball control, no superior body control, no superior poise, no superior vision. As for all those stupid flicks and tricks they make me want to put YouTube HQ out of action permanently.

To be frank, I see nothing in this kid. Are my eyes getting that bad or is it just my judgement?

I much, much prefer the look of the Portuguese bloke, Pepe, we were linked with this morning.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

The Anthony Gordon transfer is bizarre from whatever angle you look at it. 

ofc he is not worth 60m for his current output of 4g 2a. Someone apparently sees huge future value in him. At the moment he is like Kenedy at Newcastle 3 years back. An average player sticking up for a poor side. 

i don’t buy the argument he will be rwb wh n rj plays Rcb. Buying someone average for 60m so your best player can play out of position… yeah right

about maguire even if he wasn’t a walking meme, he is 29 years old ffs and not worth paying  crazy money for him 

whichever way this summer ends we will be extremely frustrating to follow all year that for sure 

Harry Maguire is one that goes completely beyond whether he is good enough or not.

His experience at United has been that torrid and such a mockery on him as a player, person, captain that for his own sanity, I don't see how leaving one big club in a pressure environment to perform for another big club in a pressure environment to perform is going to do him any favours. If he came here, the first slight mistake he'd make I think he'd have the crowd on his back in the same way he gets at United.

He needs a move, whether loan or permanent, to a mid table team and rebuild his confidence without the pressure cooker environment he is currently struggling under. He was never an £80m player, but he was at one point a player that both United and City were interested in buying, and his aim should be to go back and find that.

2 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I don't think he will cost £60m 2 - 3 years later if he realises his potential.

If he developed and became one of the more sought after players outside of the big 6 in the league he'll be comfortably within the £80-100m bracket.

You only have to look at what the likes of Van Dijk, Maguire and Grealish have gone for in recent seasons and the amounts that have or are currently being asked for the likes of Zaha, Fofana and Rice. 

This will boil down to whether the club truly believes he will elevate his game to reach that level whereby he's being sought after for that sort of figure. This isn't a £20-30m gamble on someone's potential, this is a deal that has to work.

Even if he does develop to some superstar level player - only then should we pay the extra 20-30 million for him when that time does come.

Buying him right now for 60 with huge risks regarding whether he even has it in him or not to become one of the worlds top players is something I can not understand.