Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

27 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

What qualities does Werner bring in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 ?

I guess our squad is suited the best for those Systems

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

Inside Forward on the LW? Playing as the 2nd striker behind Abraham?? Heck, I'm even sure Lampard would try him in the No.9 role to see how it goes with players supporting him from wide areas and midfield. 

22 minutes ago, Tomo said:

I've never understood this obsession with degrading tap in goals. It takes excellent tactical intelligence to find yourself in the position to score tap in's time after time, not only do you have to escape the attention of  the defenders but also accurately judge when and where the ball will be played in.

Agreed,plus this thing about him doing tap ins is strange. I don't claim to have watched a great deal of him but that video of his 25 goals this season was posted and I watched that. At least 18 (including a couple of pens) were not tap ins and even the ones that were still needed a bit of work. He scored some real good goals and his pace will cause serious problems

1 hour ago, Blues Forever said:

I like Werner but there's no way He is better than Sancho and Havertz.

I read the article. Liverpool's scouts were the ones that rated him higher than Havertz and Sancho but I believe it was more so in terms of the fit into their team and Klopp's style. They mentioned his pace, ability to run in behind and versatility to play across the whole front line as big factors in this.

31 minutes ago, Tomo said:

I've never understood this obsession with degrading tap in goals. It takes excellent tactical intelligence to find yourself in the position to score tap in's time after time, not only do you have to escape the attention of  the defenders but also accurately judge when and where the ball will be played in.

I guess in some people's opinion the likes of Van Nistelrooy and Inzaghi were rubbish.

2 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I guess in some people's opinion the likes of Van Nistelrooy and Inzaghi were rubbish.

Always wanted us to get Van Nistlerooy -would have turbo charged our ascendancy

I see Werner is not an out and out centre forward -ie target man to hold the ball up. However it seems we are losing Willian. So this guy with Ziyech and Pulisic will support Tammy. What a team....

Just need to sort out our defensive set piece vulnerability now....:P

We will likely play with Tammy Werner upfront. Werner plays in strike partnership in rb already + he is rather bad for german team as sole striker

Also I doubt Lamps will suddenly drop Tammy (or Mount) who are like his kids in this team. 

Tammy Werner

Mount Kovacic Kante Ziyech

LB Tomori Rudiger James

Kepa

Or 4231 with Werner and Mount/Ziyech on wings.   

My take on Werner (and I don't want to get hopes up too much yet until everything is confirmed, but by the sounds of things it looks like it is far enough advanced that it is going to happen) -

I think Lampard wanted that hybrid player that could play across the front line, including as a striker. It is why we were linked so heavily with Mertens, but Werner was always likely to be first choice in this regard.

Ziyech and Werner boost our options significantly and are a big upgrade on the players likely to leave in those areas - Pedro, Willian and Batshuayi. Lampard looks like he is streamlining the squad by losing an extra player but hugely increased the quality and more importantly is bringing in two more players that he wants and will trust (compared to Pedro and Batshuayi).

For me I can see Lampard utilising Werner both centrally and on the left. I feel there are times when he can play as a central striker because from what I've seen (1) he presses and works very hard which it's obvious Lampard has a preference for all his attacking players to do, (2) he looks to have very good movement off the ball and (3) he is lightning quick. I think against teams like Liverpool and City, and probably against the top European teams who will try to take us on the front foot, he could be a weapon we haven't really had to exploit these teams playing a high line. To be honest, the strikers we've had that have lightning speed have been few and far between. The last one I can really think of carrying that type of threat is Anelka.

His movement and positional awareness would get him goals too. I like Tammy and I think he's had a very good season and can build on this to get even better but that knack sometimes at being in the right position in the box sometimes isn't quite there. You don't need to be the biggest to sniff those chances out. It's good to have a player that can hold the ball up or dominate aerially, but far more chances in the box come to a players feet. 

On the left, I think Werner will give Lampard something that he wants from our wingers this season and that's goals. He has a far greater knack of cutting inside and making the runs into the back post from his position (think Mane, Salah, Sterling). I think from what I've seen Pulisic has the potential to develop that too but isn't there yet, but I don't see it enough from Hudson Odoi (and obviously Willian) which makes me believe that he'll probably be better suited long term playing on the right rather than left where he can operate more as a winger than an inside forward.

I think the other option his arrival will bring too is the ability to play with two central strikers. We won't likely use this very often from the start, but Lampard has found through the season that if we've been chasing an equaliser or a winner, bringing on a second striker hasn't worked. It will work much better with Werner who is more adept to playing as the second striker and off the main striker rather than say two of Tammy, Batshuayi and Giroud who would be looking to operate in the same areas and just condense further the areas trying to work in. 

The final point is I'm a big fan of German football players. They have an elite, very professional mentality. Even those that perhaps aren't the best technically seem to carry huge belief in what they are good at and are ruthlessly efficient with a small dose of arrogance. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Easy to say when he's doing well. :ph34r:

Some people (not me) have been promoting Havertz for quite some time on here. It's only as a result of that that I began to check his videos. When you do that, his quality hits you in the face. I quickly progressed from, what's this lad all about, to he's a talent, to no chance we're getting him.

It's the feeling that one of the 'name' clubs will take him which prevented me adding my voice to the calls for us to chase him. Frankly, I've read those calls with amazement. They seemed deluded to me. Still, Vesper (who has been mentioning Havertz for a very long time, continues to hold out hope.

I think people who can't envision where/how Werner can fit in our team with our formation should picture how Spuds use Kane and Son. Werner can be our Son. He's not a winger and he's not a #9 but can play anywhere across the forward areas and in emergency situations he can fill in for Harry Kane up top. Werner can do the same thing. Great pace like Son, even better goal scoring threat.

I can't really imagine that Lamps is thinking about playing one of Tammy or Werner like he does with Tammy or Giroud. I think they'll almost always be on the pitch together.

1 hour ago, Superblue_1986 said:

As an ex player (amateur) myself i'd go as far as saying tap in goals gave me the best feeling (even over my 40 yard volley), there's something so satisfying about scoring a goal that was made possible by being that little bit smarter.

35 minutes ago, BlueLyon said:

We will likely play with Tammy Werner upfront. Werner plays in strike partnership in rb already + he is rather bad for german team as sole striker

Also I doubt Lamps will suddenly drop Tammy (or Mount) who are like his kids in this team. 

Tammy Werner

Mount Kovacic Kante Ziyech

LB Tomori Rudiger James

Kepa

Or 4231 with Werner and Mount/Ziyech on wings.   

I am 100% sure we will not be playing 442. If Tammy and Werner play together it will be with Timo LF.

1 minute ago, Pizy said:

I think people who can't envision where/how Werner can fit in our team with our formation should picture how Spuds use Kane and Son. Werner can be our Son. He's not a winger and he's not a #9 but can play anywhere across the forward areas and in emergency situations he can fill in for Harry Kane up top. Werner can do the same thing. Great pace like Son, even better goal scoring threat.

I can't really imagine that Lamps is thinking about playing one of Tammy or Werner like he does with Tammy or Giroud. I think they'll almost always be on the pitch together.

If Werner signs, and if he contributes for us like Son does for Spurs, we'll all be very happy people.

35 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

My take on Werner (and I don't want to get hopes up too much yet until everything is confirmed, but by the sounds of things it looks like it is far enough advanced that it is going to happen) -

I think Lampard wanted that hybrid player that could play across the front line, including as a striker. It is why we were linked so heavily with Mertens, but Werner was always likely to be first choice in this regard.

I think we have an abundance of versatility across the board.

Werner can play LF and ST, Ziyech can play CM, RF possibly even false 9, CHO and Pulisic can play both wings, Mount can play CM and LF, RLC likewise. We could also be bringing Gallagher back who can play in every single midfield position. We have that much versatility we could regularly rotate and keep most player's largely happy and most importantly, fresh.

It gets even sweeter. Spox are reporting that Werner in fact is just 50m Euros so like 44.8m pounds. An absolute steal especially for how livid Bayern and Pool fans (,the two IMO least likeable fanbases of all) are right now.

https://www.spox.com/de/sport/fussball/rundumdenball/news-transfers-bundesliga-premier-league-primera-division-serie-a.html