Zenit 3-3 Chelsea

Jase

Least we qualified to be fair 🤣

Last time we won the CL, we got knocked out in the groups the following season with a group containing Juventus, Shakhtar and Nordsjaelland. 

Finishing second is a bit of a fucker because we could get tougher teams but just means we play a bigger team a round earlier than we normally would.

Also means if we go through and put one of the big boys out earlier, strategically means that perhaps the draw could get easier/not as many big teams will be in it (as theres always one or two slightly smaller teams who go on good runs too)?  Also works same way if we get put out.

Edited by OneMoSalah

8 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Those need to remember we literally had no midfield the entire 90. I will say Tuchel has been very reactive tonight. 

I know midfield is not his position but James was horrendous defensively. Was almost just jogging back every time Zenit attacked. 

4 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Finishing second is a bit of a fucker because we could get tougher teams but just means we play a bigger team a round earlier than we normally would.

Finishing 2nd means there's a 50% chance we'll get Real Madrid/Bayern. 

That said, depending on how you want to view it, had we finished first, we could get PSG or Inter Milan, albeit from a bigger pool of possibilities. Now that we finish second, we might get Bayern or Real Madrid out of 4 possible teams. 

4 minutes ago, Laylabelle said:

And they had nothing to play for! Boo..I dont think we're winning it again anyway but been nice to have a top finish..let the side down haha. More annoying could see it coming then thought it'd been saved

West Ham factor -everyone wants to beat the Champions of Europe

1 minute ago, Fulham Broadway said:

West Ham factor -everyone wants to beat the Champions of Europe

And we don't want to beat anyone lately lol. Made it way to easy. A draw could take but more so close..then plop. Werner thought he got the winner bless him

On well...nothing can do..hopefully..won't be on a slide

Edited by Laylabelle

5 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Least we qualified to be fair 🤣

Last time we won the CL, we got knocked out in the groups the following season with a group containing Juventus, Shakhtar and Nordsjaelland. 

Also means if we go through and put one of the big boys out earlier, strategically means that perhaps the draw could get easier/not as many big teams will be in it (as theres always one or two slightly smaller teams who go on good runs too)?  Also works same way if we get put out.

Juventus was many many miles better than it is now, Shakhtar miles better and we were not as strong as we are supposed to be now.
I don't know if we can win this champions league (certainly not in our present form) but let's cross our fingers Pep and pool get destroyed.

Just now, Jase said:

I know midfield was not his position but James was horrendous defensively. Was almost just jogging back every time Zenit attacked. 

Finishing 2nd means there's a 50% chance we'll get Real Madrid/Bayern. 

That said, depending on how you want to view it, had we finished first, we could get PSG or Inter Milan, albeit from a bigger pool of possibilities. Now that we finish second, we might get Bayern or Real Madrid out of 4 possible teams. 

True enough but better to be in the draw finishing second than not at all.

I think either way, if things went well, we would of ended up playing the likes of a Bayern/Madrid at some point so if we get  early, we get them early. Just the beauty of knockout football.

this 2nd place finish could prove to be a blessing in disguise, we never know. I’m not going to be too stressed about this, we are Champions of Europe afterall, we have to try and defend our title, regardless of opposition in KO stage. KTBFFH

Just now, OneMoSalah said:

True enough but better to be in the draw finishing second than not at all.

I think either way, if things went well, we would of ended up playing the likes of a Bayern/Madrid at some point so if we get  early, we get them early. Just the beauty of knockout football.

If we get Bayern, I fancy our chances against their high line and with the away goals rule out of the window, things could get wild in the KO stage (if playing on FM 22 is anything to go by lol).

Our game management in stoppage time was farcical. 3-2 up against a team with nothing to play for and we couldn't keep it tight. Was it so hard to waste time by keeping possession or getting the ball to the corner flag? 

Also, if Tuchel could bring Alonso on for Saul to patch up the LWB side, why couldn't he do the same with Sarr? Zenit were having joy against him and we still had another sub with Rudiger and Silva on the bench.