The Tuchel Thread

Jase

22 hours ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

Is this Simon Phillips trying to spread his own agenda?

Didn't Tuchel mention or weren't there actual reliable articles that when Tuchel came, he decided immediately on using the back 3 system before taking charge of the Wolves game? I also don't see how Tuchel has much time to work on different systems when we have to play every 3 days or so with the focus on being rest, recovery and preparation for the next game etc. 

46 minutes ago, Jase said:

Didn't Tuchel mention or weren't there actual reliable articles that when Tuchel came, he decided immediately on using the back 3 system before taking charge of the Wolves game? I also don't see how Tuchel has much time to work on different systems when we have to play every 3 days or so with the focus on being rest, recovery and preparation for the next game etc. 

He said directly that he wanted Azpi on the pitch and he and his staff decided the best way forward was with three at the back on the plane ride to Chelsea.

23 hours ago, Jase said:

That Simon Phillips guy is nothing but a moron, take what he says with a pinch of salt. Cant believe anyone sees his information as even remotely reliable enough to quote it on Twitter. Even if it is a random account. 

If TT wanted to play a back 4 he would of done it by now, he’s not the sort of person to go against his own tactical approach or beliefs if he thinks it’s best/will maximise the team’s performance.

13 minutes ago, Jase said:

bUt We MuSt ChAnGe FoRmAtIoN!

There were a lot who were absolutely certain we would move away from the back 3 this season. Why they thought that, I don’t know, considering the solidity and springboard it gave us to go win the CL and also get to the FA cup final but would say as long as TT is here, 343 is the way to go. 

36 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

There were a lot who were absolutely certain we would move away from the back 3 this season. Why they thought that, I don’t know, considering the solidity and springboard it gave us to go win the CL and also get to the FA cup final but would say as long as TT is here, 343 is the way to go. 

I was one of them. I thought Tuchel might try out the back 4 at some point.

What I don't agree is people saying we should change formation because of the attacking problems. Don't like how people simplify the issue down to the formation. It's not black and white. We have played the back 4 countless of times before in the past and looked toothless as well. 

1 hour ago, Jase said:

I was one of them. I thought Tuchel might try out the back 4 at some point.

What I don't agree is people saying we should change formation because of the attacking problems. Don't like how people simplify the issue down to the formation. It's not black and white. We have played the back 4 countless of times before in the past and looked toothless as well. 

I think he did use it in a cup game? Last season? Then quickly changed to 3 again IIRC. I think if we didn’t have as successful a season with the 343 (with the CL, getting to cup final and general upturn in results and performances) he maybe would of changed it in the summer. Fully agree it won’t fix the attacking issues. Not a chance.

Felt the wingbacks today (also did notice it v Malmo) gave us something more today when they were coming inside, they gave us a lot more options when playing in the middle third and made it easier to get Mason and CHO on the ball in the final third by vacating these spaces outside, dragging the Norwich fullbacks in. Also helped create overloads in central midfield.

Hopefully we continue to use this at times to make our build up play more flexible.

Edited by OneMoSalah

Just looking at the options in the betting for next United manager and lots of United fans not convinced on the options they could replace Ole with only emphasises how fortunate we got with bringing Tuchel in when we did.

From the outside looking in, the club seem to have found a world class coach that so far has been incredibly low maintenance, represents the club impeccably and doesn't want more power at the club or to get involved in areas that shouldn't be of a concern to him. 

From Tuchel's perspective, it feels he has found a top club with the resources and squad to challenge for trophies, but also will just allow him to focus on the coaching side.

This is Chelsea, so past experience usually suggests that something will likely happen to derail this but it does feel at the moment that both have found what they're looking for. 

On 23/10/2021 at 19:21, OneMoSalah said:

Felt the wingbacks today (also did notice it v Malmo) gave us something more today when they were coming inside

Especially Dave against Malmo. The phrase that came to mind time and again was, "Where the heck is Azpi playing?" He frequently received the ball around the D of their box with his back to goal. Amazing.

4 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Just looking at the options in the betting for next United manager and lots of United fans not convinced on the options they could replace Ole with only emphasises how fortunate we got with bringing Tuchel in when we did.

From the outside looking in, the club seem to have found a world class coach that so far has been incredibly low maintenance, represents the club impeccably and doesn't want more power at the club or to get involved in areas that shouldn't be of a concern to him. 

From Tuchel's perspective, it feels he has found a top club with the resources and squad to challenge for trophies, but also will just allow him to focus on the coaching side.

This is Chelsea, so past experience usually suggests that something will likely happen to derail this but it does feel at the moment that both have found what they're looking for. 

I'm fully sold on Tuchel tactically but my one worry from the minute he arrived was his record in the market and his signings so far have done nothing to alleviate my fears. Although that said I think the one we missed (Kounde) would have been a huge hit.

33 minutes ago, Tomo said:

I'm fully sold on Tuchel tactically but my one worry from the minute he arrived was his record in the market and his signings so far have done nothing to alleviate my fears. Although that said I think the one we missed (Kounde) would have been a huge hit.

How so?

Lukaku is without a doubt a club signing. Considering the lack of alternatives and the pressure Tuchel is under, a goal scorer was indefinitely needed so of course Tuchel would be on board. 

You then have to take a look at the players Tuchel reportedly wanted. 

Hakimi

Tchouaméni

Lacroix

Kounde

All of these players would of benefited the team in a positive way. Kounde from what I have seen is defensively naïve, but Chalobah and to some extent Sarr have looked far more discipline the more time they spent under Tuchel. 

I think Tuchel was honest when he said his opinion is asked on transfer decisions but his main task was to evaluate all of our loan players and current players for the upcoming season. I would not consider any of our signings to be Tuchel signings.

3 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

How so?

Lukaku is without a doubt a club signing. Considering the lack of alternatives and the pressure Tuchel is under, a goal scorer was indefinitely needed so of course Tuchel would be on board. 

Hakimi

Tchouaméni

Lacroix

Kounde

All of these players would of benefited the team in a positive way. Kounde from what I have seen is defensively naïve, but Chalobah and to some extent Sarr have looked far more discipline the more time they spent under Tuchel. 

Lukaku said he was set to stay at Milan, but Tuchel convinced him and biggest reason he changed his mind. 

The board would have no interest in signing Lukaku if Tuchel didn’t want him. He doesn’t fit their profile from a financial and long term standpoint. 

you have to remember the board were here before Tuchel, and will be here much after Tuchel. They want to sign young players and with potential resale value. 

who knows how long Tuchel will be here, and he knows that. He is not thinking long term, he is thinking what gives him the best opportunity right now. 

4 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

How so?

Hakimi

Tchouaméni

Lacroix

Kounde

Board signing is a bit of a copout, at absolute worst Tuchel was happy with the signing hence him beaming in the presser (after his arrival) and then playing him for every minute he's been available for bar the last part against Brentford (League cup doesn't count as we were always go for a scratch side in that competition at the early stages unless we get a big draw).

Also given our entire squad bar about three players have now scored it's looking more increasingly like we've been a little overzealous compromising our system to accommodate a focal point, as I absolutely feared would happen.

4 hours ago, Tomo said:

I think it's far too early to judge Lukaku and I'm certain there will be games throughout the season where he is the difference maker between maximum points or not in some tight games. 

Saul currently looks like not working out but it's a loan signing to cover an area we were potentially weak in depth within. If he doesn't work out like it's looking then the risk has been kept to a minimum.

Add to this too he's found solutions. We didn't sign Kounde but he's brought through Chalobah who's really establishing himself within the squad. And Saul has struggled to adapt, but he's started rebuilding RLC into another good option within the squad like he was pre injury.