The Tuchel Thread

Jase

Not entirely sure. The same wrong/poor decisions are made since his appointment. Not finding the attacking runner or making the wrong choice in the final third. This is constant. I don’t buy this lack of creativity when all the player needs to do is pick up his head. 

It’s as if this isn’t drilled into them in training after viewing tape. Not having pacey wingbacks that stay wide hurt us tremendously though. 

Edited by MoroccanBlue

On 20/09/2021 at 00:29, Mário César said:

Its soon to think about UCL. Things will change a lot until february 

After the defeat I remember this post.

That's why I said that. Things changed very fast.

Last week City was shit and now they are one point behind the first place.

Jesus before City it was all Tuchel is amazing after his change at HT v Spurs and now one game vs the best team in the country and its almost as if things have been horrifically bad for months. Jesus.

Pretty sure he said after Villa we aren’t where we want to be.

On 25/09/2021 at 21:12, Clockwork said:

I have proposed this question a few weeks ago, in light of how much criticism our attacking players get. Are they bad or Tuchel system is the issue. He has gotten a lot of credit for our defensive players and how much they improved, but which attacking player has benefited since he was appointed?

On 26/09/2021 at 14:40, MoroccanBlue said:

Not entirely sure. The same wrong/poor decisions are made since his appointment. Not finding the attacking runner or making the wrong choice in the final third. This is constant. I don’t buy this lack of creativity when all the player needs to do is pick up his head. 

I agree. You are right to question TT about our attackers. I mean look at this season... Mendy, Kepa amazing... All defenders great even we got Chalobah out of nowhere. Chilwell is only problematic in back 5 but he had mental issues.

All MF top except Saul but he just arrived, nothing to do with TT and is last in packing order. And now lets see with attackers... Lukaku scored some goals, he is what he is but those 6 players who play in attacking areas with him are all nowhere near expectations... Ziyech, Werner, Havertz, Mount, CHO, Pulisic... Too much quality, talent there but not one of them is performing. Very often they have so anonymous games that you barely notice them. This is on TT.

He improved us massively in all areas but not really in attack, not at all... I was so anti Lamps but we even scored more goals last season with him on average. Even tho you did not agreed I remember I counted around half games last season with TT where we struggled to create anything.

Now we will see what TT is really made of and if he has learned. 
we all knew Lukaku was not really all that. He made our play worse and is prticulalrly useless in big games which will make or break our season. 
Most of our starting XIs have been questionable this season and now we got punished for it twice. Time to step up 

Not just the front trio, but we are missing inform Chillwell and James. Those two can overlap, allowing wingers to move and create more space. Azpi and Alonso are decent, but too slow and predictable. Imo the importance of fullbacks/wingbacks is very underestimated. Alonso may have good moments, but he doesnt improve our system as a whole like Chilwell did last season.

Question: was bringing Lukaku to add "proven" flat track bully type scorer worth it for the cost of high pressing and chance creation? IMHO no, Werner and Kai worked perfectly in that system, althrough they arent the players that can be relied to score goals. Werner might be shit on the ball, but he was complete question mark for opponents last year in CL. We had so much space thanks to his off the ball runs.

Unpopular opinion, but idealy we should start games with same 11 like last year and bring Lukaku on tired defences if we are struggling. Obviously we wont bench 100m striker but that would probably accomplish the goal to make us more complete compared to last year. Winning a title or two with that strategy would be way more realistic compared to current complete change of entire working system just to utilize Lukaku who isnt good enough against best teams. 

Also on side note, Tuchel improved every single defender here, individualy and as a team. That cant be said the same for forwards. Rarely anyone made any improvement. Ziyech is terrible, Kai, Puli, Werner didnt improve upon their buli games. Mount is only one who did, but is not on that level this year. Its something Tuchel needs to adress. If our attackers didnt improve individualy last year, they worked as a team and that is also gone this year.

No need to press the panic button yet, but sometimes it would be good to see Tuchel switch formation from time to time. Even when we are 1-0 down, we just stick with the same 3 at the back formation. Why not have more attackers and go 4-2-3-1? Because if we often switch up formation, may make it even more difficult to play against us due to our ability to change formation. It also seems to me that the 3-4-2-1 is not getting consistent performances from our attackers. Every single attacking midfielder/winger and striker seem to get lost and I am not saying it is purely down to formation, however I reckon they would look more fluid in a a natural attacking line up. Is it a coincidence that the defenders all seem to look very good in this formation but the attackers on other hand seem to struggle more? ...

It has been a poor week from a manager that just won us the Champions League and completely turned around our season last year. Imagine United fans going through this for four years. Tuchel and Chelsea will be fine. Losing to Man City and Juve can be a little humbling back to back, but it is going to happen to just about any team.

Its also funny how media says we have been disjointed for few weeks now lol.

City game was on saturday, thats not even a week.

It is worrying that we have been beaten tacticaly by high pressing city and ultra defensive juve with no proper answer, but to say this crisis has been going on for weeks is just stupid. 

We are now entering very easy run on paper which should be tailor made for Lukaku and this system, so we will see what happens.

1 hour ago, SomethingSomething said:

They are right. We beat Spurs 3-0 but our attack still looked disjointed, along with midfield progression until Tuchel made the change. 

21 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

They are right. We beat Spurs 3-0 but our attack still looked disjointed, along with midfield progression until Tuchel made the change. 

And we were not good against Zenit and in Cup game either.

Unfortunately for the first time I see the potential downfall of Tuchel at Chelsea. Every manager has bad results obviously, but I see systemic issues I don’t know if he can overcome. Last season we were great combination of technical and physical ability, this team has lost that due to Lukaku, Alonso, and Azpi as a WB.

14 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

Unfortunately for the first time I see the potential downfall of Tuchel at Chelsea. Every manager has bad results obviously, but I see systemic issues I don’t know if he can overcome. Last season we were great combination of technical and physical ability, this team has lost that due to Lukaku, Alonso, and Azpi as a WB.

Lets see if TT is different but every Chelsea previous manager when had downfall refused to change much... Conte never dropped his formation, Sarri stubbornly continued with his thing and Lamps refused to try some things many of us expected... If TT continues this formation with 3 or 4 slow players behind striker it wont end well I feel. 

If we go back to back 4 I think 4312 would be more logical for this set of players instead of 433 or 4231 which people usually expect.

5 hours ago, SomethingSomething said:

Has that not been the case since the last international break?

Villa in the league - we were unconvincing throughout the game and only won because of 2 clinical finishes from Lukaku and Kovacic pouncing on a mistake.

Zenit - struggled to create anything until Azpi suddenly dropping a precise cross for Morata Lukaku.

Spurs - awful in the first half and broke them with a goal from a corner and deflection from 25-30 yards out.

Villa in the league cup - also unconvincing but it could be put down to the wholesale changes made to the team.

All those unconvincing/awful performances led to what we saw against City and Juventus. It wasn't surprising. It had been coming.