The Tuchel Thread

Jase

21 hours ago, Tomo said:

The Di Matteo comparisions are so lazy.

They lifted the same trophy but that's where the comparisions well and truly end.

Somewhat off topic but I find it hilarious some people in the media used the FA Cup success to justify that Arteta is good as if winning a domestic cup competition means a manager is good when RDM won the FA Cup and Champions League but has never backed up that success.

1 hour ago, Jase said:

Somewhat off topic but I find it hilarious some people in the media used the FA Cup success to justify that Arteta is good as if winning a domestic cup competition means a manager is good when RDM won the FA Cup and Champions League but has never backed up that success.

The PR that is being done for this guy is borderline deranged.

They knew the "he took over a mess" line was wearing thin so they brought a load of young players on the guise of it will take a few years and people have fallen for it already, absolutely insane.

On 30/09/2021 at 19:53, Jase said:

Has that not been the case since the last international break?

Villa in the league - we were unconvincing throughout the game and only won because of 2 clinical finishes from Lukaku and Kovacic pouncing on a mistake.

Zenit - struggled to create anything until Azpi suddenly dropping a precise cross for Morata Lukaku.

Spurs - awful in the first half and broke them with a goal from a corner and deflection from 25-30 yards out.

Villa in the league cup - also unconvincing but it could be put down to the wholesale changes made to the team.

All those unconvincing/awful performances led to what we saw against City and Juventus. It wasn't surprising. It had been coming.

In that case we have been inconvincing most of the season. We had penalties against villareal, drew to pool. Cp and arsenal games were done comfortably though.

I was surprised with changes. He did not bring offensive players only like for like subs but Jorginho won red card, Barkley unlocked them with great pass and MM should get assist but Lukaku missed.

I also liked Chalobah and RLC starting so today he did great.

I thought him bringing on Barkley was quite telling, and IMO quite condemning of his ability to fix our attack. The fact he brought a player that has hardly played and he does not rate says he is out of idea how to get more out of the players that he has played regularly since getting the job. Made substitutions with similar players, unwilling to move past his 5 set defenders in a game.

Bringing Barkley in was a shot in the dark, praying something sticks.

11 hours ago, Clockwork said:

I thought him bringing on Barkley was quite telling, and IMO quite condemning of his ability to fix our attack. The fact he brought a player that has hardly played and he does not rate says he is out of idea how to get more out of the players that he has played regularly since getting the job. Made substitutions with similar players, unwilling to move past his 5 set defenders in a game.

Bringing Barkley in was a shot in the dark, praying something sticks.

Or one could say that Tuchel is just making use of the tools he has at his disposal. But I can see where you're coming from and he really needs to figure out the attack problem, especially since he's not going to drop certain players at all. 

Don't think it's anything worrying yet but given Tuchel's history, it might be worth keeping an eye on certain things because lately/this season, he has started calling out players a tad more in public - though not in the same manner like say Mourinho - and making some strange/stubborn decisions that hasn't really been seen with us (no manager is perfect of course but it's been un-Tuchel-like). It doesn't seem a lot but these little things could become something big down the line. 

On 30/09/2021 at 19:57, MoroccanBlue said:

Wouldn't even say that would work either considering we have only Jorginho as a holding midfielder and is suspect defensively, and Rudiger/Christensen both still unproven performing at this same level in a back 4

I have confidence in TT because:

- He is unquestionably a high calibre individual. I like to emphasise the difference between players of quality and players with [some] qualities. For me TT is a man of quality.

- He installed a system which compensated for the squad's shortcomings. The ability to do this is a non-negotiable attribute for top managers. Those who can't do it are not top level.

TT now needs to show that he has the ability, over time, to mould a squad which has fewer shortcomings. To support TT in this we need a clear eyed and cold blooded recruitment policy: 

- Avoid romanticised assessments of our players. For example, I've championed RJ since his academy days but an Hakimi type player would have improved us. We can't afford to shy away from such decisions.

- End the pursuit of elite level players. They don't want to come here and every failed chase just lowers our reputation.

-  Finding the next generation of elites is obviously harder than spotting the ready made ones but that's the boat we're in so we have to pick up a paddle and row.

- CFC already pursues the next gen plan, hence the buy-to-loan policy, but we need to get better at it. 

I hope that TT can become the long term manager we've been wishing for. If that is to happen we will need to provide him the tools to improve performance and maintain success. In the past we have failed to provide those tools but have demanded the success anyway. With Roman's philosophy this always puts our manager on a train with no brakes racing towards a cliff. TT is a man worth ending the rinse and repeat cycle for. 

On 30/09/2021 at 21:24, Mana said:

Either you play to Lukaku's strengths or play towards the trio's strengths. TT you can't be clever and try to fuse them both.

I would say that trying a new solution is legitimate. Every squad has a unique set of strengths and weaknesses so is likely to require an individually tailored fine tune. Where a manager needs to demonstrate cleverness is in assessing the outcome of his plans. If they are failing then why so and do they need fixing or scrapping?

On 01/10/2021 at 13:23, Tomo said:

Unless you finish with 109 or more points then you are always relying on opponents to some degree.

It's possible to lose the league with 109 points. It's even possible to lose it with 111 points. I'll grant you it's not even remotely likely a team would fail to take the title with either total but it is theoretically possible. 🙂

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

3 hours ago, Mana said:

Liverpool lost the league even having 97 points. Except 2017/18 when City won by 100 points, getting 97 in any other season would land you the title.

City won 'with' a hundred points not 'by' a hundred points but, yes, you are entirely correct of course.

I was just responding to Tomo's point that teams need 109 points in order to guarantee wining the league without needing help from other sides taking points off their nearest rival. I'm just saying that teams need 112 points in order to guarantee that. A trivial and unimportant observation I grant you.

On 01/10/2021 at 02:31, Clockwork said:

Lukaku has stated numerous times that he was set on staying at Inter, but Tuchel convinced  and wanted him at Chelsea. Maybe he wasn’t his first choice, but it is clear that Tuchel wanted him.

Fair enough. I still find it little hard to believe. If that's the case, either he is not  as good as Pep or Klopp either he is extremely shortsighted thinking only about the next season. His/boards short term gain will be long term pain for this club. Especially taking in consideration this Newcastle United situation. 

Then again, with Lukaku up front dropping out of top four is around the corner anyway.