• Kante
    • Mount
    • Havertz
    • Pulisic
    • Werner
    • Giroud
    • Abraham (sub)
    • Kovacic (sub)

Was a bad game ... the confidence and zeal in the first half was the extreme opposite in the second. Players looked tired and exhausted, there was no drive after the first goal, incomplete passess, losing out balls, no threat in the final third, tactics of only using the flanks, was really bad overall. Pretty much everyone had a bad game. Wenger & Havertz looked out of depth, Silva made too many mistake it just didnt amplify because he recovered well and disappointed with Mendy too. 

Hope the 6 day rest provides some help as we enter into another flurry of games. Lampard need to get a plan B in place at the earliest because teams are now getting used to the way we play.

Havertz and Werner were u-s-e-l-e-s-s, giving the ball away for numerous Wolves counterattacks as well.
Lampard is responsible to the extent he did not diagnose this and let them play, only three days after the similar debacle against Everton.
In the end we lost because ... we did not like the draw.
In the second goal Neto's opponent was the stopper Zouma ! A jet against a Thames barge.
This thing has happened so many times even under Mourinho and it is a classical mistake. Given that Wolves were not an amateur side by any means we had to secure the rear and we did n't.

6 hours ago, Azul said:

This Chelsea team is miles ahead of Leipzig's first team. Imagine the things Nagelsmann would do? He'd make us into contenders for every trophy out there for sure. The impact he had on the Leipzig team in his first year was massive, and that's with a inferior team.

What I would say about Nagelsmann is that the only thing he did at Leipzig last season that they didn't do before was progressing to the final four of the Champions League. Otherwise, it was par for the course in the Bundesliga and DFB Pokal. 

Leipzig reached the DFB Pokal final in 2018/19 but got KOed in the 3rd round in 2019/20. Just like the seasons before, Nagelsmann also had Leipzig challenged at the top of the Bundesliga last season and they were even 1st after 19 games played but then faltered after that because of too many draws, ending the season 16 points behind Bayern and just 3 points ahead of the 5th placed side. Imagine the furore here if the same thing happens with us...

What is stupid about the last 2 games is that while the performances weren't great, we could have taken 2 points from both games, run and regrouped for the next set of tough games. Instead, we had Mendy who gave away a penalty by turning into Kepa against Everton, who didn't create anything at all, and we stupidly overcommitted in injury time at Wolves and lost both games. :doh: 

7 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

It's West Ham, Arsenal and Villa. They are very much winnable games and we also have a week free after this weekend to hopefully help give players some rest and get others fit.

One could say also that our last two games were Everton and Wolves. Hardly City and Liverpool. Yet, we contrived to lose both in stupid fashion. From looking rather assured of ourselves, we've suddenly gone back to looking clueless and unpredictable.

The free week is good and bad. Good because the players can get some respite and bad because I fear potential muscle injuries happening again. 

1 minute ago, Jason said:

One could say also that our last two games were Everton and Wolves. Hardly City and Liverpool. Yet, we contrived to lose both in stupid fashion. From looking rather assured of ourselves, we've suddenly gone back to looking clueless and unpredictable.

Yeah I agree, my point is more we shouldn't be fearful of any of these teams even after the last 2 poor performances. 

It's obviously not as straightforward as flicking on a light switch but ultimately if we play well and to what we are capable of then we should be winning all 3 of these and building some momentum before the City game.

Something we should definitely be doing more is taking shots on around and outside the box.

It's something I find bemusing when our manager was quite possibly the best, certainly of his generation, at this and the amount of games won and deadlocks broken by this.

You only have to look back at Mount's goal against West Brom as the spark to get us a draw in that game. 

We should have players capable of having efforts on goal. Even if we don't score from them, it helps apply pressure on to the opposition and potentially draw a team sitting deep out a little as they need to engage sooner and close down quicker to stop shots being taken. It can also lead to corners, free kicks, etc to present better goal scoring opportunities and we also have players such as Werner and Pulisic who are quick and sharp enough to follow up on deflections, goalkeeper parries, etc. 

Lampard always took responsibility in this regard. He would have at least 2-3 shots a game from distance, usually more but it provides a threat that teams have to deal with. Some of our players have to start taking that element of responsibility upon themselves.

4 hours ago, Jason said:

What is stupid about the last 2 games is that while the performances weren't great, we could have taken 2 points from both games, run and regrouped for the next set of tough games. Instead, we had Mendy who gave away a penalty by turning into Kepa against Everton, who didn't create anything at all, and we stupidly overcommitted in injury time at Wolves and lost both games. :doh: 

Signs of an immature team, which it is.

The performance was horrid yesterday. Havertz shouldn't be starting at the moment, we looked a better side with Kovacic and Havertz doesn't bring anything to the team currently. It is the first time I'm watching him play regularly and I don't see what all the hype has been about.

Werner also, but he must be knackered since he's had almost no rest at all, and we have no replacement when our wingers are injured all the god damn time. It's clear as day he is a central attacker, which makes it even more baffling to me that he's being instructed to hug the touchline... Why? Not once did we see Werner drift central, try cut-in shots or runs behind. Always wide, far from the goal, receiving the ball to feet and facing 3-5 players... He is not the type to dribble past players and create chances, that was Hazard. He is there to FINISH chances. Fucks sake, I like him very much but he's being over- and misused. When one of CHO or Ziyech comes back he needs to be benched or moved central. I'm dying to see a proper pacey, technically proficient front 3 (Pulisic, Werner, Ziyech).

1 hour ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Something we should definitely be doing more is taking shots on around and outside the box.

It's something I find bemusing when our manager was quite possibly the best, certainly of his generation, at this and the amount of games won and deadlocks broken by this.

You only have to look back at Mount's goal against West Brom as the spark to get us a draw in that game. 

We should have players capable of having efforts on goal. Even if we don't score from them, it helps apply pressure on to the opposition and potentially draw a team sitting deep out a little as they need to engage sooner and close down quicker to stop shots being taken. It can also lead to corners, free kicks, etc to present better goal scoring opportunities and we also have players such as Werner and Pulisic who are quick and sharp enough to follow up on deflections, goalkeeper parries, etc. 

Lampard always took responsibility in this regard. He would have at least 2-3 shots a game from distance, usually more but it provides a threat that teams have to deal with. Some of our players have to start taking that element of responsibility upon themselves.

I agree- it forces the defenders to come out instead of backing off - with our pace - that will then leave gaps for clever runs past the defenders coming out.

We need to be a threat from anywhere within 30 yards of their goal 👍

23 minutes ago, manpe said:

Signs of an immature team, which it is.

Is it immaturity or just pure stupidity? A lot of the players have played and/or seen enough games by now to have a sense of what to do in such situations. What happened yesterday was almost a carbon copy of the game at West Ham last season. We weren't playing well, we couldn't break the opposition down but we still decided to overcommit and then get picked off on the counter in stoppage time. It was also compounded by the fact that Zouma kept backing off Neto and basically inviting him to shoot at goal. He should have just fouled him on the halfway line and taken a yellow for the team. 

On top of that, where were the change and help/leadership from Lampard? He talked about Wolves' counter attacks after the game yesterday but did nothing to help stop them during the game and then blamed the players. His two subs were like-for-like and he did not seem to tell the players to calm it down etc. The more I think about it, the more I think Mourinho has a strong point when he basically said Lampard doesn't do anything when the team isn't doing well. I don't think Lampard will ever be a vocal manager, one who shouts and screams on the touchline but a lot of the time, you will see him just cross his hands or has his hands in his pocket and look on silently. Lampard only seems to react when we score and miss chances. That's it. Klopp is obviously a much more vocal manager on the touchline but he was shouting at his players to "WAKE UP!" when Liverpool were playing poorly in the first half against Fulham last Sunday. Have we seen anything even close to that from Lampard when we aren't playing well? 

Also, this season is already bonkers and it looks like places could be decided by the smallest of margin in terms of points. Every point will likely matter a lot, probably more so than usual. If we are struggling to win a game, then sometimes we just gotta take the point, run and regroup. Instead, we lost in stupid fashion again and are now even under bigger pressure to get things right next week. 

1 hour ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Pretty sure Kovacic and James have been doing that in the last 2 games but their accuracy was horrendous. Nowhere the target. 

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

Pretty sure Kovacic and James have been doing that in the last 2 games but their accuracy was horrendous. Nowhere the target. 

Yeah Kova bless him I don't think will ever be a threat in that regard. I don't mind James doing it because we've seen the strike he has on him, but it is something Mount and Havertz should be looking to do when central far more often and if the likes of Werner, Pulisic, etc are cutting in from wide then have some more efforts on goal around the edge of the box.

Since Sarri, it does feel like we've become more and more like Wenger's Arsenal with an insistence to get in behind a team to score. It's not always possible. 

7 hours ago, Jason said:

Actually, Mendy turned into Kepa for the BOTH games.

The big change so far this season, was our back four, who were meant to be at least reliable enough to secure clean sheets when it mattered.

But NO,..in the 2 games where our attack has been lackluster, the GK and defense decide to do their worst.

First with his unnecessary GK charge, and then later getting beat at the near post.