• Ziyech
    • Abraham
    • Giroud (sub)
    • Kovacic (sub)
    • Emerson (sub)
    • Rudiger (sub)
    • Hudson-Odoi (sub)

19 minutes ago, Jason said:

I don't know what to make of our midfield anymore, especially when it's 3 from Jorginho, Kovacic, Kante and Mount. We saw games last season where any combination of 3 from the 4 look good in some matches and then just horrible in others - for example, the Jorginho-Kovacic-Mount combo during that winning run in September-November. They were great during that run but things just went crap after that.

Jorginho's form during Sep-Nov last year was his best ever during his time with us. He's gone back to playing passively again. He was never great at putting a defensive shift, but he made up for it with stellar passing when he was on form. Now he's playing in cruise control most of the time. The only noticeable elements in his play is when he tries to lead the midfield press, and the occasional long ball (which sometimes works a treat, like his assist for Werner against Southampton). 

In hindsight I wish we had retained either one of RLC or Barkley, instead of keeping both Kovacic-Jorginho. It would have helped when rotating the squad for midweek games

I imagine Lampard originally envisioned us playing 4-2-3-1 for the majority of this season with Havertz in the CAM role. But things change quickly. Pre-season might have helped him decide whether 4-2-3-1 was really the way to go, but here we are.

Seen this happen many times before. Ancelloti starting with 4-4-2 diamond...realizes 4-3-3 was a better fit for his first 11. Conte starting 4-2-3-1, realizing 3-4-3 was better.

Did Jorginho really play that badly (watched the game so its a rhetorical question)? Thought he did alright, solid enough, kept it simple when he had to, had a few diagonals  and didnt overly commit at times. Its not as if hes a league 1 player which you'd think reading some of the embarrassing posts on here. When Jorginho doesnt play who is gonna get it next 🤣

Good win, clean sheet, Silva-Zouma partnership looks good and Mendy is great. That 2nd pen is ridiculously harsh and killed the game as a contest really although playing v 10 men is harder and a good test. 

3 hours ago, Vesper said:

Upamecano with yet another howler

he is dogshit atm

steer clear

steer clear!

Best Danger Will Robinson GIFs | Gfycat

Tuesday afternoons. Home from school. Black and white telly. 5pm ITV, and note ITV, no 1, 2, 3 or 4. (There weren't even four channels total, nevermind four of them called ITV.)

Those were The days.

7 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I didn't see the discussion, or the match yet come to that, but if you're talking about the handball law, uefa don't set the laws of football. fifa do.

Ahh they were saying UEFA are implementing it very harshly and the rule needs to be rewritten. 

Cheers for the correction 👍

Whilst I think it was clearly a penalty even though it goes from foot to hand it should be punished. What is the hand doing up there anyway. If this goes unpunished defenders could e.g. just flail their arms onto any kind of botched clearances or blocks. I do not really think it was a 2nd yellow tho. Clearly unintentionl should be a card. 

1 hour ago, NikkiCFC said:

After this game they want to change the rule lol

UEFA asks FIFA for handball law change to stop harsh calls

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/soccer/uefa-asks-fifa-for-handball-law-change-to-stop-harsh-calls/2020/11/05/c6c2ec48-1f5d-11eb-ad53-4c1fda49907d_story.html

Yeah that's what they were saying on my stream.

It's ruining the game.

2 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

After this game they want to change the rule lol

UEFA asks FIFA for handball law change to stop harsh calls

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/soccer/uefa-asks-fifa-for-handball-law-change-to-stop-harsh-calls/2020/11/05/c6c2ec48-1f5d-11eb-ad53-4c1fda49907d_story.html

it does need to be changed

my whole defence of the pen was based upon the letter of the law currently