• Mount
    • Ziyech
    • Werner
    • Abraham
    • Giroud (sub)
    • Hudson-Odoi (sub)
    • Jorginho (sub)

1 minute ago, Puliiszola said:

12 league games, 3 draws, 1 loss, 8 wins should be counted as a good record. 

I guess but it doesn't change the fact that they managed to take points off us in at least one game in 2014/15, 2016/17, 2017/18 and 2018/19. We have dropped points against them in 4 of the last 10 matches. That's basically almost half of it. 

50 minutes ago, Jason said:

Define "good record" - points dropped against Burnley or matches lost against Burnley?

Because last season was the first time since 2009/10 that we did the league double over them. In the seasons between - whenever they were in the Premier League - we dropped points against them in at least 1 of the 2 league games. 

Hmm there were quite a few draws there. Even in the Conte title run, that Higuain double (2-2) seemed like points spilled. But definitely not a bogey team

1 hour ago, Strike said:

Hmm there were quite a few draws there. Even in the Conte title run, that Higuain double (2-2) seemed like points spilled. But definitely not a bogey team

The first sentence is correct but neither did Higs play under Conte nor did he ever score 2 goals vs Burnley

2 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

The first sentence is correct but neither did Higs play under Conte nor did he ever score 2 goals vs Burnley

Don't crush his dreams 😳

All I will say is Burnley looked well organised against Spurs and I thought we will have trouble breaking them down.

It's nice to see me being pessimistic and you guys so optimistic 👍🤣🤣🤣

26 minutes ago, Hutcho said:

Yeah Burnley were very good vs spurs. Lucky we are better than that bunch (hopefully).

Not so sure. On current form, Son is better than any of our attackers and in his prime. But we have a player who on his day can unlock any defence in the world and that is Ziyech. We have to get him on the ball as often as possible. this game could be tailor made for Giroud to start to give Tarkowski and his fellow thugs a something to be occupied with and bring Werner on as sub as I expect Burnley to be stand so deep there will be hardly any space for Timo. I can also see us needing RJ's strength to contain their physical threat which is basically everything they have on an individual level. Just heavy, thuggish players. If Havertz starts he is in for a rough ride.

Hope Lampard does not play Jorginho. He will bullied by the Burnley thugs and they will rob the ball from him in very dangerous areas. In my opinion he is a great player but for another league and not EPL

Otherwise my team:

Mendy

Reece          Silva          Zouma     Chillwell

Kante                Mount

Havertz

Ziyech            Werner      Pulisic

We need this win badly to stay in top 6

Not so sure. On current form, Son is better than any of our attackers and in his prime. But we have a player who on his day can unlock any defence in the world and that is Ziyech. We have to get him on the ball as often as possible. this game could be tailor made for Giroud to start to give Tarkowski and his fellow thugs a something to be occupied with and bring Werner on as sub as I expect Burnley to be stand so deep there will be hardly any space for Timo. I can also see us needing RJ's strength to contain their physical threat which is basically everything they have on an individual level. Just heavy, thuggish players. If Havertz starts he is in for a rough ride.

Oh they have a better attack at the moment no doubt. But they're spurs.

6 hours ago, Jason said:

I guess but it doesn't change the fact that they managed to take points off us in at least one game in 2014/15, 2016/17, 2017/18 and 2018/19. We have dropped points against them in 4 of the last 10 matches. That's basically almost half of it. 

Many were unique type of circumstances. 14/15 we lost our shit due to the injustice of Matic's red, 17/18 we dominated with 9 men and they fluked it and 18/19 we should have finished the game off before letting them back in. The only time they've truly made it difficult for us in terms of imposing their tactics was the 1-1 in 16/17, the rest of them was basically us shooting ourselves in the foot and/or god being on Burnley's side.

Just now, Tomo said:

Many were unique type of circumstances. 14/15 we lost our shit due to the injustice of Matic's red, 17/18 we dominated with 9 men and they fluked it and 18/19 we should have finished the game off before letting them back in. The only time they've truly made it difficult for us in terms of imposing their tactics was the 1-1 in 16/17, the rest of them was basically us shooting ourselves in the foot and/or god being on Burnley's side.

Doesn't the change the fact that they still took points off us, whether it's by luck or not...

Just now, Jason said:

Doesn't the change the fact that they still took points off us, whether it's by luck or not...

But they ain't anywhere near as tough to play as the likes of Big Sam's Bolton or Pulis' Stoke (or even his West Brom), which was my initial point.

Just now, Tomo said:

But they ain't anywhere near as tough to play as the likes of Big Sam's Bolton or Pulis' Stoke (or even his West Brom), which was my initial point.

And yet, we still contrived to drop points against them...

IIRC, we have a better record against Pulis' Stoke than Sean Dyche's Burnley (not that it's bad but it's mixed).

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

And yet, we still contrived to drop points against them...

IIRC, we have a better record against Pulis' Stoke than Sean Dyche's Burnley (not that it's bad but it's mixed).

Maybe but we always had to work for wins vs them, apart from the 7-0 playing his Stoke were painful grinds and that was with our old guard, imagine if last seasons lot faced them? Kepa and AC vs Delap throw ins :lol:

Burnley we tend to outplay whether we get the result or not (cue an outlier tomorrow) and three of our easiest wins of the last two and a half years came vs them.

Just now, Tomo said:

Maybe but we always had to work for wins vs them, apart from the 7-0 playing his Stoke were painful grinds and that was with our old guard, imagine if this lot faced them? Kepa and AC vs Delap throw ins :lol:

Burnley we tend to outplay whether we get the result or not (cue an outlier tomorrow) and three of our easiest wins of the last two and a half years came vs them.

Yeah, Pulis' Stoke may be tougher but we still contrived to drop points against Burnley, however you want to spin it...

And we do have a better record against Pulis' Stoke than Dyche's Burnley - 8 wins and 2 draws in 10 league games against Stoke compared to 6 wins, 3 draws and 1 loss in 10 league games against Burnley.

45 minutes ago, Jason said:

Burnley and Sheffield United are the two lowest goalscoring sides with 3 goals so far (3 in 5 for Burnley and 3 in 6 for Sheffield United) and they are our 2 next league opponents...

We know this movie only too well