Kepa Arrizabalaga

Jase

3 minutes ago, communicate said:

This, he maybe annoying, not loyal bla2 but It was so obvious we had a wc gk in our hand. I said he wasn't the best shot stopper but compare to kepa, Courtois is a goat shot stopper. And i don't want to talk about crosses. 

There's probably a few more but of the top of my head i can only think of three set pieces we conceded on Courtois's watch (Bournemouth home in 15/16, PSG 14/15 and WHU home on Conte's debut) he was ridiculously good at dealing with them, also in his last 2 years he had by inlarge the same group of defenders infront of him who went on to struggle with then under Sarri and Lampard.

2 hours ago, Tomo said:

Said at the time people didn't realize how good we had it with Courtois. He may be a repulsive bellend but he's an unbelievable keeper.

Yeah well, you made it sound as if we made a mistake by letting him go when we wouldn't have had it not been for bloody Real Madrid!

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Yeah well, you made it sound as if we made a mistake by letting him go when we wouldn't have had it not been for bloody Real Madrid!

Not really, he was never signing a new deal, I was referring to more the posts (which were prevalent in his last season especially) of people genuinely thinking he was an average keeper.

1 minute ago, Tomo said:

Not really, he was never signing a new deal, I was referring to more the posts (which were prevalent in his last season especially) of people genuinely thinking he was an average keeper.

The problem as usual, and maybe hindsight is 20/20, is that we never found an adequate replacement for him. 

Simply not good enough for this level, we have badly regressed from the great GK we had in the past, Cudicini, Cech, Courtois, it's obvious Kepa can't handle the pressure of playing for Chelsea, too many mistakes and lack of great goalkeeping skills (can't command his box, can't organize his defense, bad positioning, bad awareness, bad decision making, lack of confidence, very inconsistent). We need to address this issue asap.

I am even open to sending Kepa out on loan by sponsoring part of his wages. That is the only way a club like Sevilla, Valencia will take him. 

The best resolution is if Atleti can do us another solid and exchange Kepa for Oblak + 30-40m but that is wishful thinking

2 hours ago, Tomo said:

There's probably a few more but of the top of my head i can only think of three set pieces we conceded on Courtois's watch (Bournemouth home in 15/16, PSG 14/15 and WHU home on Conte's debut) he was ridiculously good at dealing with them, also in his last 2 years he had by inlarge the same group of defenders infront of him who went on to struggle with then under Sarri and Lampard.

I don't want to talk about crosses. I just want to say my respect for gk who Mistime rushing out to claim crosses and got caught compound big time after watching Kepa. 

Let's talk about shot stopping. With kepa, ANY SHOT on target I fear it will go in. It doesn't have to be corner shot, even if it was saveable I fear it will go in. I mean that is me watching from tv, I don't know how our defender feel.

5 minutes ago, communicate said:

Let's talk about shot stopping. With kepa, ANY SHOT on target I fear it will go in. It doesn't have to be corner shot, even if it was saveable I fear it will go in.

This. I have tried to be patient with Kepa this season, even after all the mistakes he has made but it has gotten to the point where I don't think he will make a save anymore. He's just there to make up the numbers but otherwise, he's just a ghost in goal. Better off not even playing a goalie if Kepa is gonna play. 

18 minutes ago, Patrick Bamford said:

Still wouldn’t have saved it IMO. It went round a bit of the wall, which was perfectly placed so it was hard luck that on the day the ref gave a foul and TAA got it in. I suppose it will be back to the KDB FK analysis soon enough. ‘£71m GK rooted for 2nd top class FK in same season’

All in all while the other goals theres more debate for (3rd and 5th goals) how he should of done better, its pretty much pointless with the FK.

Also does it matter how much closer Alisson was to Messi’s FK? At the end of the day he didnt stop it either.... its like saying you were 1 team off a winning coupon, you still lost. Guessing the guy running the account is a bin dipper? Surprised the caption isnt ‘Look this is how close top GKs get to saving FKs!!!! #YNWA #kingkenny #hendolad’ dont have twitter anymore and wifi onboard isnt loading the page so forgive me If I am wrong (if its one of our fans then I apologise in advance) but even then as I said its a pointless comparison it was still a goal 😂 if it was saved ok it would make sense. Plus if you want to get technical about it Alisson is 5cm taller than Kepa which gives him a higher reach in all I would imagine. Obviously positioning etc height isnt essential but you could have stuck the BFG in the net for that Messi FK and he wouldnt of got it. It was perfect. Trents not as good but still good enough.

43 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Also does it matter how much closer Alisson was to Messi’s FK? At the end of the day he didnt stop it either.... its like saying you were 1 team off a winning coupon, you still lost. 

It really, really does matter. Because when the player shoots the keeper can't know for sure if it's going in the top corner or if it's saveable. Kepa doesn't even try to save it so the shot only needs to be on target to go in. Not just yesterday either, he's been rooted on his line for many conceded goals this season.

That Alexander-Arnold free kick was so obvious where he was going to shoot (he always goes for the near corner from that position) so why on earth would the keeper not try to go for that? Kepa with his short hands probably wouldn't have reached it anyway but not even trying makes him look really bad. 

I think if there was a huge list of outstanding GKs yes go for it but I still dont think Henderson, Onana and Donnarumma are vastly superior. Oblak and ter Stegen? 99% Unattainable but outstanding GKs. I still think United wont even replace De Gea with Henderson and you could say hes had a worse 2 years than Kepa has for mistakes.
Rajkovic. Every time

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Jype said:

It really, really does matter. Because when the player shoots the keeper can't know for sure if it's going in the top corner or if it's saveable. Kepa doesn't even try to save it so the shot only needs to be on target to go in. Not just yesterday either, he's been rooted on his line for many conceded goals this season.

That Alexander-Arnold free kick was so obvious where he was going to shoot (he always goes for the near corner from that position) so why on earth would the keeper not try to go for that? Kepa with his short hands probably wouldn't have reached it anyway but not even trying makes him look really bad. 

Perhaps but again, it was basically unsaveable if you ask me. The wall was unlucky because it goes between two players on the end I think, the GK is standing a bit to the other side so he can see past the wall and obviously the wall is there to challenge TAA to get it up and over it as well as on target. Kepa didnt make an effort but even then I doubt hes making the save if he does anyway, I think the pace on the ball and his wrist strength as weve seen is perhaps not helping us much there. If he reaches it. Which again there would be huge uproar if he did dive and didn’t save it anyway althoufh I do agree maybe he should try but still think it goes in regardless 99/100 times. I think out of all the goals the first two you cannot neccessarily say there were any huge mistakes from the GK. Nobody is saving Keita’s goal and maybe a taller GK gets closer to the FK maybe not but any other GK would have the wall in the same position, likely have same starting position and it was just typical when they jumped its gone sort of between the last two on the end.

I think the third/fourth goal (Wijnaldums?) and the fifth absolutely he has to do better, has to be stronger with the 5th especially. The first goal was a poor turnover, Willian running into traffic and nobody out to close the space before Keita shot, which was a cracker. Second never a foul. Third ball ricochetted off Jorginho a bit unfortunate after the initial contact (IIRC but why is he defending front post area and not someone else? he is 5 ft 7 or something although I would also think Giroud, Zouma, Rudiger, Alonso are probably picking up central areas for the bigger guys coming in on their end) and Reece doesn't know where Wjinaldum is or anticipate it dropping where it does and its lashed in. Then Kepa maybe should do better again. Fifth Kepa gets onto it and is too weak imo despite how well Ox hits through it. Few other mistakes throughout the goals though bar the FK which wasnt a foul. Its typical though 2 other set pieces we concede directly then a break away from one of ours. Naive.

Serious questions should be ask to recruit team. It's third time we sign spanish player for big money, who had low mentality. He looks exactly the same after conceding goals as Morata, Torres after missing there chances - broken and near crying. They just can't cope with mistakes, throw them out of head and concentrate on the present. Even then they do good, they still look like - am not done enough to compensate past.

As a keeper coach who does this week in and week out I cannot for the life of me believe why a keeper in todays modern game sets up a wall, 100% trusts that wall and then continues to set himself way over to allow the kick taker that massive gap in the goal to go at, it's pathetic.

As for Kepa, he is just terrible, and I think half the problem here is the back 4 etc are actually shitting themselves because they know behind them is a useless fucker who couldn't catch cold never mind a ball.

48 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Still wouldn’t have saved it IMO. It went round a bit of the wall, which was perfectly placed so it was hard luck that on the day the ref gave a foul and TAA got it in. I suppose it will be back to the KDB FK analysis soon enough. ‘£71m GK rooted for 2nd top class FK in same season’

All in all while the other goals theres more debate for (3rd and 5th goals) how he should of done better, its pretty much pointless with the FK.

Also does it matter how much closer Alisson was to Messi’s FK? At the end of the day he didnt stop it either.... its like saying you were 1 team off a winning coupon, you still lost. Guessing the guy running the account is a bin dipper? Surprised the caption isnt ‘Look this is how close top GKs get to saving FKs!!!! #YNWA #kingkenny #hendolad’ dont have twitter anymore and wifi onboard isnt loading the page so forgive me If I am wrong (if its one of our fans then I apologise in advance) but even then as I said its a pointless comparison it was still a goal 😂 if it was saved ok it would make sense. Plus if you want to get technical about it Alisson is 5cm taller than Kepa which gives him a higher reach in all I would imagine. Obviously positioning etc height isnt essential but you could have stuck the BFG in the net for that Messi FK and he wouldnt of got it. It was perfect. Trents not as good but still good enough.

Well I have a different take on it. 

It is not about saving something which is as perfect as the goal showed or the one which was hit yest by Trent-Arnold, dont think anyone could have done anything abt it. But if you want to evaluate and differentiate between good goalie and an elite one this acts as a good example. For goalkeeper it is all about Eye to brain to Hand/foot coordination ... the one who processes this quicker would reach toward the ball better. U will find the elite ones react and act much faster than the everyone else.

You mentioned that it was still a goal, yes but Alisson came close to it ... Check Kepa on yesterday goal similar shot as the one shown here, he was so far off from shot. That where the difference lies... the problem with Kepa is that his decision making is very dicey (not sure if it is a confident issue or ability one) he freezes at time while others would go for it.

I m not completely sold on the height thingy ... yes it is an advantage but not a defining factor for me it is more about the timing of the jump.