Mateo Kovacic

Unionjack

Mateo Kovacic has admitted that he is hoping to score more goals in a Chelsea shirt next season following Frank Lampard’s appointment as manager.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/11/mateo-kovacic-hoping-add-goals-game-new-chelsea-boss-frank-lampard-10191416/

Mateo Kovacic has admitted that he is hoping to score more goals in a Chelsea shirt next season following Frank Lampard’s appointment as manager.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/11/mateo-kovacic-hoping-add-goals-game-new-chelsea-boss-frank-lampard-10191416/

You mean score A GOAL. [emoji1]

1 hour ago, LAM09 said:

You mean score A GOAL. emoji1.png

I heard you need to shoot to score goals, but not sure. ;)

heh if lamps can’t improve that side of his game nobody else will.

my 2cp, kova often loses his balance when attempting to shoot, which might be a good place to start.

59 minutes ago, Robchels said:

I heard you need to shoot to score goals, but not sure. ;)

heh if lamps can’t improve that side of his game nobody else will.

my 2cp, kova often loses his balance when attempting to shoot, which might be a good place to start.

I'm not even convinced you can learn that. You either are born a scorer or not. This goal instinct like Gerd Müller, Ronaldo, Lampard, this ability to know where the ball will end up in the box is something you have or you don't. It does not define if you are a good player or not. For everything but strikers it is pretty much irrelevant but even some strikers are not natural born scorers and still make a career out of scoring goals when they just work their technique to create their own chances, score enough half-chances, have hold-up play or just stay in the position of a target man. Examples are Bergkamp, Klose, Drogba or Giroud. For Kovacic I am pretty sure he is not a natural scorer and never will be prolific in front of goal. Mount was a goalscoring midfielder even before Lampard coached him, so I don't think Lampard wil lhave that much of an impact on someone like kovacic. But he should be able to perfect the run-timing ability of guys who like to drive forward like RLC and Barkley. 

Still, you are right. Midfielders should take shots just to make this an option. how often do we see players score from rebounds or ricochets, poor shots becoming passes. When the opposition know your midfielders will shoot they will try to close them down, leaving more space between the lights for good passers to exploit. A player who can do both, like Lampard used to be one, is thus a nightmare to defend against. You saw that later in his careers, he wouldn't attempt that many long shots anymore being closed down earlier but always thread the ball through instead. We need more of that from Kovacic, try some shots and use the space for more direct, vertical impact. I would love him to become such a player. He has amazing technical ability, his close control is maybe best in the squad now with Willian's but they are similarly slow of mind in the attacking third as well. But with Kovacic i have not given up hope that he can lean to become more daring and decisive. 

2 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

I'm not even convinced you can learn that. You either are born a scorer or not. This goal instinct like Gerd Müller, Ronaldo, Lampard, this ability to know where the ball will end up in the box is something you have or you don't. It does not define if you are a good player or not. For everything but strikers it is pretty much irrelevant but even some strikers are not natural born scorers and still make a career out of scoring goals when they just work their technique to create their own chances, score enough half-chances, have hold-up play or just stay in the position of a target man. Examples are Bergkamp, Klose, Drogba or Giroud. For Kovacic I am pretty sure he is not a natural scorer and never will be prolific in front of goal. Mount was a goalscoring midfielder even before Lampard coached him, so I don't think Lampard wil lhave that much of an impact on someone like kovacic. But he should be able to perfect the run-timing ability of guys who like to drive forward like RLC and Barkley. 

Still, you are right. Midfielders should take shots just to make this an option. how often do we see players score from rebounds or ricochets, poor shots becoming passes. When the opposition know your midfielders will shoot they will try to close them down, leaving more space between the lights for good passers to exploit. A player who can do both, like Lampard used to be one, is thus a nightmare to defend against. You saw that later in his careers, he wouldn't attempt that many long shots anymore being closed down earlier but always thread the ball through instead. We need more of that from Kovacic, try some shots and use the space for more direct, vertical impact. I would love him to become such a player. He has amazing technical ability, his close control is maybe best in the squad now with Willian's but they are similarly slow of mind in the attacking third as well. But with Kovacic i have not given up hope that he can lean to become more daring and decisive. 

Agreed. I’m not expecting him to become lothar Matthaus any time soon, or ever, who btw would often say you can’t score or create a rebound, without shooting and on goal.

Kovacic’s already a good player. Adding a little bit in the final third would just make him even better!

Good assist for Mount yesterday, need to see this sort of thing more often, more penetrating passes in and around the box. Could be a big season for him as a player, hopefully he becomes more productive throughout the season.

• 2 weeks later...

Was in some good offensive positions today. That second CM aside Kante will have to make offensive impact. Kova, Jorginho and RLC will play there. I think against weaker opposition Ruben is perfect for that role with Barkley /Mount upfront. 

• 3 weeks later...

Makes Henderson and fabinho look stupid when's he twisting on the ball. It's such a shame all our strikers are shit because, along with Pulisic and CHO, him and Kante would actually be pretty decent at getting us in dangerous positions.

433 in the CL at least please.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Played very well in the first 2 games and in terms of using the ball, taking risks with it, not getting caught on it and carrying the ball under pressure, hes been good.

We all knew that with his skillset he has huge potential to be a really good player. If he can just fine tune his positioning yet without the ball and maybe like I said get goals and assists, think the 40m is going to be seen as a good deal.

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Vytis33 said:

I'm very likely on my own here but I like this player.  Liked him last season too. 

giphy.gif

I like him as well but we overpaid a little although with our situation I guess it couldn't be helped.

Danny Murphy reserved special praise for Chelsea midfielder Mateo Kovacic after Frank Lampard secured his first win as Blues boss against Norwich.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/08/25/danny-murphy-reserves-special-praise-chelsea-midfielder-mateo-kovacic-norwich-win-10628173/?ito=cbshare

8 hours ago, the wes said:

Probably his best game in a Chelsea jersey I think we will see an improvement from Mateo this season 

He is one of my favourite players of ours

of course I am always MFer biased, lolol (my favourite position overall)