Mason Mount

the wes

4 hours ago, Strike said:

English Willian at 23 + he is the PL top scorer so far and deserves to start ahead of the other options in the squad. 

Well, yes, this is a different question to whether Mas is the long term answer for us. I think he is an enigma in our current squad. When he plays we see that we need more from the player in that role but, when he doesn't play we see that even so he can offer more than some of the alternatives. My view is that we try to find the player who can provide a long term answer.

10 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Getting on for ten-and-a-half years ago, when I told people Romelu would be stuck with his limitations for the rest of his career they replied with comments like this. Many absolutely would not accept my analysis that players not only do not improve their basic level, they cannot improve it. Even last summer people were telling me Rom had done extra homework with Conte and he was all new and shiny. I had not watched Rom play even one minute for Inter but I knew those people were not right, that they could not be right. Perhaps you will disagree with me now but Mas will not make the improvements you hope for. 

I agree with you. This is the correct approach but it must be accompanied by correct judgement. In order to get the judgements right we have to understand that players cannot improve their talent level. They can only learn to make better use of the talent they have.

When I watched KDB while back at Genk on loan after signing for us, I posted (on CFCNet) to say that I loved, loved, loved the way he played football. When he eventually joined our squad, barring a simple but beautiful assist on his debut, he struggled to find his level but it was there to be found. Time should have been given. Mas on the other hand is already playing at his level. The 'more' we might hope for from him is not there. A squad player is all Mas can be for us but, given the start he has made to his career, I don't believe that will be something he can accept.

Kai however is not yet playing to his maximum potential so it is at least possible that his output can increase.

Heh I did not see enough of KDB at Chelsea (as in minutes played) to detect that, but you can find my comments on Salah here (perhaps they are gone after the big purge): I thought his ceiling was very high back then.

That's a fair take, and I'm not entirely sure we disagree on Mount's potential; I don't see him improving a whole lot in certain aspects of the game where he lacks (creativity).
I think our disagreement is more regarding what he already provides, which I think is more than enough, given as evidence our recent success against more expensive teams/stronger opposition.

What I do expect Mount to improve on, and I think it's something many players naturally improve on with age, is decision making, which should also improve his finishing.

So, in my view, he's not that far from being an excellent player and an important player for any top club, as well as England. I'd hate to see him in a Liverpool shirt for example, which is not something I could say about all players we've got.

1 hour ago, robsblubot said:

Heh I did not see enough of KDB at Chelsea (as in minutes played) to detect that, but you can find my comments on Salah here (perhaps they are gone after the big purge): I thought his ceiling was very high back then.

That's a fair take, and I'm not entirely sure we disagree on Mount's potential; I don't see him improving a whole lot in certain aspects of the game where he lacks (creativity).
I think our disagreement is more regarding what he already provides, which I think is more than enough, given as evidence our recent success against more expensive teams/stronger opposition.

What I do expect Mount to improve on, and I think it's something many players naturally improve on with age, is decision making, which should also improve his finishing.

So, in my view, he's not that far from being an excellent player and an important player for any top club, as well as England. I'd hate to see him in a Liverpool shirt for example, which is not something I could say about all players we've got.

Have to admit I'm far more often frustrated by Mas than I am happy with his contributions  but, as I implied earlier, I also often feel we're a better side when he plays than when he doesn't. I see this as being despite not being accurate enough in what he does, often enough he does other things to compensate and to balance the team. Things we miss when he does not play. What I want is a player offering balance and greater accuracy and such a player would relegate Mason to the bench. My takeaway is that Mas should get starts but only because our forward players as a group are not good enough.

No problem at all on the different emphasis we put on Mason's attributes. Everybody gets it wrong sometimes, or at least I do anyway. For example, I did not spot Salah's quality when he was here.

7 hours ago, Tomo said:

For me it's he will never be the star man himself but has the attributes to co exist with star attackers and compliment their skillset.

A bit like what Pedro did at Barcelona and with us in Conte's title season, unfortunately we don't have anyone on the level of Messi, Hazard or Villa.

Yes, I agree with this. If our other attackers were more efficient Mason could more easily find a role in the side. The solution I advocate for however is that we find a player who can make those key moments work for his side more often than Mas does. 

Also, thanks for digging some sense out of what I wrote. I've re-read it and it is so badly written it amounts to gibberish. Don't know how that happened. Must try harder. 😖

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

19 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Yes, I agree with this. If our other attackers were more efficient Mason could more easily find a role in the side. The solution I advocate for however is that we find a player who can make those key moments work for his side more often than Mas does. 

Also, thanks for digging some sense out of what I wrote. I've re-read it and it is so badly written it amounts to gibberish. Don't know how that happened. Must try harder. 😖

I believe we both agree that that player exists. Our disagreement seems to be about whether Mount can become that player or not. You seem certain he ain't it, while I think that the risk of getting that wrong (with his replacement) and the difficulty of acquiring such player makes betting on Mount a very easy choice.

Edited by robsblubot

Mason will become a world class player if he works on a just a few things and that is good decision making as well as composure in front of goal. Most of the complaints here are raised due to those two issues(final ball or decision making and composure to finish off chances) which I feel he has the ability to work on in a short while. Some guys performed far less than mount is doing but they are now stars in other top clubs. I believe he will reach there in due time.

3 hours ago, maxlev said:

Mason will become a world class player if he works on a just a few things and that is good decision making as well as composure in front of goal. Most of the complaints here are raised due to those two issues(final ball or decision making and composure to finish off chances) which I feel he has the ability to work on in a short while. Some guys performed far less than mount is doing but they are now stars in other top clubs. I believe he will reach there in due time.

I'm not a hypocrite and I won't ever pretend I saw a world class performer in Mas but, if that's how he develops, I will be as pleased as the rest of us for him and for Chelsea.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

7 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I'm not a hypocrite and I won't ever pretend I saw a world class performer in Mas but, if that's how he develops, I will be as pleased as the rest of us for him and for Chelsea.

I very much understand your point. Some players have a very thin line from being a little above average to becoming world class and for me mount is in that discussion. All Mount needs to do is work on his end product in a consistent manner. Right now I think his only major weakness is poor decision making which makes him slightly poor in finishing(most times he tends to rush his shots which lacks composure and precision). 

• 1 month later...