Mason Mount

the wes

I would stick it out with Mount. Clearly has everything else we need in that role except goal threat, which none of the others in the squad have anyway. Mount and Havertz should be two of the front 3 for important games. 

Has the heart needed to play for Chelsea but his end product is pretty much non existent right now. 

He needs to fix that sooner rather or later... otherwise I can see him being replaced by Conor. 

Edited by DDA

6 hours ago, robsblubot said:

Mason Mount is 23 and sure hope he's not the finished product and can still iron out his game, esp his finishing. I have fully confidence that he can.

Getting on for ten-and-a-half years ago, when I told people Romelu would be stuck with his limitations for the rest of his career they replied with comments like this. Many absolutely would not accept my analysis that players not only do not improve their basic level, they cannot improve it. Even last summer people were telling me Rom had done extra homework with Conte and he was all new and shiny. I had not watched Rom play even one minute for Inter but I knew those people were not right, that they could not be right. Perhaps you will disagree with me now but Mas will not make the improvements you hope for. 

6 hours ago, robsblubot said:

In my view, Chelsea is doing the exact right thing to compete at this level, and players like Mount, Kai, and even Werner are key here. Reece will make mistakes... will have bad patches and that's fine. He's progressing and needs to progress physically: fewer injuries please!

I agree with you. This is the correct approach but it must be accompanied by correct judgement. In order to get the judgements right we have to understand that players cannot improve their talent level. They can only learn to make better use of the talent they have.

When I watched KDB while back at Genk on loan after signing for us, I posted (on CFCNet) to say that I loved, loved, loved the way he played football. When he eventually joined our squad, barring a simple but beautiful assist on his debut, he struggled to find his level but it was there to be found. Time should have been given. Mas on the other hand is already playing at his level. The 'more' we might hope for from him is not there. A squad player is all Mas can be for us but, given the start he has made to his career, I don't believe that will be something he can accept.

Kai however is not yet playing to his maximum potential so it is at least possible that his output can increase.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

1 hour ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Perhaps you will disagree with me now but Mas will not make the improvements you hope for. 

Mas on the other hand is already playing at his level. The 'more' we might hope for from him is not there. A squad player is all Mas can be for us 

I agree with you. He is here almost 3 seasons and my highest opinion on him was in August/September 2019.

In every season he has big periods when he is ineffective for months and one small purple patch. In mentioned period in first season I didn't know what I know now so even when he has some good moments now I can't get excited because I know what is coming.

He scored in just one game from May 5th to December 1st. But then he had 4 PL games in a row scoring. Some get excited but what happened next? 2 and a half months of nothing again. 

8 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Mount shouldn’t be starting for us in the attacking three. Simple as that. 

Unless he undergoes some Lampard Esq transformation, I can’t ever see him being a success in this system. 

Curious, were your patience already thin with Mount or what? Because it seems like you've suddenly just made a 180° turn on him.

7 hours ago, Strike said:

I would stick it out with Mount. Clearly has everything else we need in that role except goal threat, which none of the others in the squad have anyway. Mount and Havertz should be two of the front 3 for important games. 

So Mount is basically an English Willian? What does Mount have exactly?

I asked this some time ago and IIRC, I don't think anyone was able to answer it. If this Mount had been playing for another club, would you go out there and spend, say, 60-70 million (English tax etc) on him to improve the team? 

8 minutes ago, Jase said:

So Mount is basically an English Willian? What does Mount have exactly?

I asked this some time ago and IIRC, I don't think anyone was able to answer it. If this Mount had been playing for another club, would you go out there and spend, say, 60-70 million (English tax etc) on him to improve the team? 

English Willian at 23 + he is the PL top scorer so far and deserves to start ahead of the other options in the squad. 

25 minutes ago, Strike said:

English Willian at 23 + he is the PL top scorer so far and deserves to start ahead of the other options in the squad. 

That's not saying much, is it? 

Plus, people seem to hold others to one standard and Mount to another. 

1 minute ago, Jase said:

That's not saying much, is it? 

Plus, people seem to hold others to one standard and Mount to another. 

Isn't he the best option to start now? Before Connor, upgrade in the summer arrive

Just now, Strike said:

Isn't he the best option to start now? Before Connor, upgrade in the summer arrive

If we're holding the others to standards that they aren't producing, then shouldn't it be the same with Mount as well? 

Also, it's funny how people are suddenly assuming Gallagher is our savior when we haven't even seen play for us consistently. It's one thing to do well at Palace, it's another to do it at Chelsea. 

2 hours ago, Jase said:

Curious, were your patience already thin with Mount or what? Because it seems like you've suddenly just made a 180° turn on him.

Made it quite clear earlier in the season that I was willing to give our attacking players one final season before a fair assessment. I've been Mount's biggest defender but too many times I have defended him and his 'off the ball work' to cloud his horrid end product. 

Shouldn't be in the attacking three anymore next season. 

This isn't to say Mount doesn't have a role in the team. 

Based on Tchouameni, Gallagher returning, and other midfield options we are linked with, we can highly suspect Tuchel will be playing a 343 and 4141 next season. I still want the 343 for the big games and I reiterate that Mount cannot be in that front three. Not unless he improves his finishing ala Lampard when he turned 25. 

27 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

This isn't to say Mount doesn't have a role in the team. 

Based on Tchouameni, Gallagher returning, and other midfield options we are linked with, we can highly suspect Tuchel will be playing a 343 and 4141 next season. I still want the 343 for the big games and I reiterate that Mount cannot be in that front three. Not unless he improves his finishing ala Lampard when he turned 25. 

Is everyone expecting a shift to 4 at the back? I don't know. I think so much of this squad work well defensively in a 3-4-3 that I think it continues next season as well with Rudi-Silva-Kounde in defence.

2 minutes ago, Strike said:

Is everyone expecting a shift to 4 at the back? I don't know. I think so much of this squad work well defensively in a 3-4-3 that I think it continues next season as well with Rudi-Silva-Kounde in defence.

Right, and I agree. But we are going to have midfield options that can allow us to be flexible.