Marcos Alonso

Chelsea4

4 minutes ago, manpe said:

You wouldn't? With transfer ban looming? I'd be shocked. We never clear-sell a whole position, we rather keep crap than do that. Emerson unfortunately is more likely to leave because Alonso signed a fucking stupid extension. :middlefinger::rant: 

Ofc it will only happen if transfer ban didn’t hit this summer, which I belive. I can see the transfer ban happening but not this summer, but we’ll see.

1 hour ago, manpe said:

You wouldn't? With transfer ban looming? I'd be shocked. We never clear-sell a whole position, we rather keep crap than do that. Emerson unfortunately is more likely to leave because Alonso signed a fucking stupid extension. :middlefinger::rant: 

£150K per week until 2023 plus bonuses! £39m minimum with potential for almost £45m, just in wages! Insanity.

The Rise and Fall of Full Back Marcos Alonso

https://thetopflight.com/2019/04/15/chelsea-rise-fall-full-back-marcos-alonso-sttamford-bridge-maurizio-sarri/

Marcos Alonso under Antonio Conte was becoming like a perfectly fermented Pinot Noir, getting better with age and experience.

Signed for £24 million from the vivacious Violets – The Florentines of Italy, Marcos Alonso was quick to smell, swirl and sip the cut-throat nature of the Premier League. Under new coach Maurizio Sarri, Marcos Alonso has become curdled milk. Sarri’s style hasn’t pleased Alonso.

When Sarri took over at Chelsea, the Chelsea fans finally thought their club will ditch the obsolete and boring defensive style in favour of the “Sarriball – The high intensity short passing gameplay that every Chelsea fan would have been proud of.”

Sarriball demands high functioning full backs. Full backs with good ball control and an instinctive presence to drive forward are key to Sarriball. Marcos Alonso was destined to be a perfect fit. Alonso had the quality of driving the ball around and moving forward during the attack. Sarri was quick to draft Alonso in his plans. Alonso was superior to Brazilian Emerson.

Alonso was now a left back in a back four, compared to a wing back in a 3-4-3 formation under Antonio Conte. Initially, Alonso and Sarriball seemed to be a match made in heaven. Contributing goals and assists he won more Blue hearts as he has been doing for the last two years. However, Chelsea started fumbling mid-season and questions were now raised at Sarri’s methods.

Alonso once comfortable with Sarri’s possession-based style now found it difficult to make a mark on the team. Poor performances against Tottenham, Arsenal and Manchester City further reaffirmed that Alonso struggled in the new system. The earlier purple patch was a stroke of luck, nothing else.

Alonso was soon dropped in favour of Emerson, who at the start of the season presented no such challenges to Alonso. Emerson was not even close to Alonso on Sarri’s preference list. Alonso not only struggled against the big-six sides but also struggled against mid-table teams. Alonso being dropped from the starting eleven was a huge upset for a player who was once in the Premier League Team of the Year.

snip

2 hours ago, Vesper said:

The Rise and Fall of Full Back Marcos Alonso

https://thetopflight.com/2019/04/15/chelsea-rise-fall-full-back-marcos-alonso-sttamford-bridge-maurizio-sarri/

Marcos Alonso under Antonio Conte was becoming like a perfectly fermented Pinot Noir, getting better with age and experience.

Signed for £24 million from the vivacious Violets – The Florentines of Italy, Marcos Alonso was quick to smell, swirl and sip the cut-throat nature of the Premier League. Under new coach Maurizio Sarri, Marcos Alonso has become curdled milk. Sarri’s style hasn’t pleased Alonso.

When Sarri took over at Chelsea, the Chelsea fans finally thought their club will ditch the obsolete and boring defensive style in favour of the “Sarriball – The high intensity short passing gameplay that every Chelsea fan would have been proud of.”

Sarriball demands high functioning full backs. Full backs with good ball control and an instinctive presence to drive forward are key to Sarriball. Marcos Alonso was destined to be a perfect fit. Alonso had the quality of driving the ball around and moving forward during the attack. Sarri was quick to draft Alonso in his plans. Alonso was superior to Brazilian Emerson.

Alonso was now a left back in a back four, compared to a wing back in a 3-4-3 formation under Antonio Conte. Initially, Alonso and Sarriball seemed to be a match made in heaven. Contributing goals and assists he won more Blue hearts as he has been doing for the last two years. However, Chelsea started fumbling mid-season and questions were now raised at Sarri’s methods.

Alonso once comfortable with Sarri’s possession-based style now found it difficult to make a mark on the team. Poor performances against Tottenham, Arsenal and Manchester City further reaffirmed that Alonso struggled in the new system. The earlier purple patch was a stroke of luck, nothing else.

Alonso was soon dropped in favour of Emerson, who at the start of the season presented no such challenges to Alonso. Emerson was not even close to Alonso on Sarri’s preference list. Alonso not only struggled against the big-six sides but also struggled against mid-table teams. Alonso being dropped from the starting eleven was a huge upset for a player who was once in the Premier League Team of the Year.

snip

Bullshit. We rode our luck with Alonso in his first season thx to the new system. But last year Alonso was already found out and targeted which is why Conte wanted Sandro in before. Alonso has always profitted from purple patches and occasions where he ends up at the end of a rare accurate cross in a position he takes up in place of our marginalized striker

4 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

Bullshit. We rode our luck with Alonso in his first season thx to the new system. But last year Alonso was already found out and targeted which is why Conte wanted Sandro in before. Alonso has always profitted from purple patches and occasions where he ends up at the end of a rare accurate cross in a position he takes up in place of our marginalized striker

do not shoot the messenger, I do not own a bullet-proof vest!

lolol

I agree with you btw

31 minutes ago, Blue Armour said:

I see what Sarri did by picking Emerson for the Europa league match midweek

I guess Malonso is going to be starting the PL games from now on. Possibly at Old Trafford as well.

Alonso was injured for the match so Emerson had to play.

2 hours ago, Vybz Kartel said:

He should play for the rest of the season. Emerson is not it.

Emerson may not be IT, but Alonso is SHIT.

hard pass

sell the wanker, bans or not

Dasilva can backup or even eventually start

Alonso is a FAIL

7 hours ago, Vybz Kartel said:

He should play for the rest of the season. Emerson is not it.

Both horrible. They are so bad, I'm starting to miss Baba Rahman and Del Horno.

A few years ago we had Ashley Cole and Bertrand was his backup..

Emerson has been average as opposed to Alonso being truly awful. Last night he wasn’t an issue, poor crossing but good energy levels and still found RLC, Higuain multiple times in the box. We attacked many times down our left with him. 6/10 performance. I think there’s a lot of negative hyperbole with him, I concede he’s not the answer as starting LB going forward but, for instance I think in his recent run in the team he’s done better than Azpilicueta.

17 hours ago, ja1 said:

Emerson has been average as opposed to Alonso being truly awful. Last night he wasn’t an issue, poor crossing but good energy levels and still found RLC, Higuain multiple times in the box. We attacked many times down our left with him. 6/10 performance. I think there’s a lot of negative hyperbole with him, I concede he’s not the answer as starting LB going forward but, for instance I think in his recent run in the team he’s done better than Azpilicueta.

The only big disagreement is regarding azpi, who for me is still twice the player and was a lot better than Emerson against burnley. Emerson final ball wasn’t good and that’s what’s important at this level... anyone can run and be active.

Our defense line conceded 2 goals from set pieces and Emerson was part of that defense line. Imagine what folks would say if it were alonso sitting on his ass for the second...

alonso’s obvious (and perhaps only) virtue is set pieces. He also fares better against physical teams due to height and power. Emerson is easily outmuscled, and often is. At least that’s what I see. :) 

Alonso’s lack of pace would not have been a problem either, against burnley, since we played in their half for most of the game. 

While both have been poor, they also have different characteristics and the manager should chose the one who fits the needs of the team in a game by game basis.

Words like better liability, solid, are way too generic for me. Things are usually a bit more nuanced that that.

• 2 weeks later...