Marcos Alonso

Chelsea4

1 hour ago, OneMoSalah said:

I dont get why he didnt consider whipping that in behind the right sided CB to Higuain either. Higuain is basically primed to make the run and theres plenty space. The delivery if its right finds him and he probably hits the target or scores. Or yes play it to Eden.

because he got rattled and was having a terrible game. One thing leads to another.

The problems with this team go a lot deeper than the LB choice. Case in point, the 4 nil defeat and how easy City scored after Alonso was gone.... we can't defend as a team because the players are not playing for the manager.

3 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

I dont get why he didnt consider whipping that in behind the right sided CB to Higuain either. Higuain is basically primed to make the run and theres plenty space. The delivery if its right finds him and he probably hits the target or scores. Or yes play it to Eden.

I remember watching that unfold and I though he has going to play in Hazard.  Then, Higuain made that run and I think that Alonso was aiming for him, but overhit it and it become a cross to Kante. 

3 hours ago, El P. said:

Maybe he wanted to give it to Higuain, but his cross is just that bad that it ended up going to Kante...

I should have read this first before I posted.  I think this is what actually happened.  His delivery comes just as Higuain is making his run.

22 hours ago, Robchels said:

Be sad all you want... just please don't try to rewrite history. :)

All players perform well in a team because of the circumstances the system provides them with. The whole reiterated point made by Eden's fans is that he will do better in a better system. No player does "great" (your word) without qualities.

Terrible comparison there too. You are comparing a player (Alonso) who had MoTM performances against tough opposition, played most if not all games in our winning season, had a record of goals and plenty of assists to show for it, to subs and fringe players who played little (kalou a bit more).

Ok, let's not compare Kalou or Bertrand. But what about Cahill? He too scored often 6-8 goals per season, played a lot of games and have been important for our success. Cahill too sometimes looked really good, in some setups, but regardless of that we all knew that he is not a top player, we all knew that he is only a good player. Why no one considered him top player, or one of the best central-backs in the league, like they did with Alonso? It really baffles me.

Alonso is Cahill of LWB/LB.

12 hours ago, Sideshow Luiz said:

I should have read this first before I posted.  I think this is what actually happened.  His delivery comes just as Higuain is making his run.

You are one of our more level headed ant patient members mate but you surely can't be happy with the majority of what he has delivered.

If we are serious about competing - let alone dominating, we have to seriously stand outside and take a look at ortselves.

On 2/11/2019 at 3:44 PM, Vesper said:

Marcos Alonso showed he's simply not good enough for Chelsea in one moment v Man City

Chelsea are facing yet another crisis following Sunday's 6-0 defeat away to Manchester City.

Losing by a six-goal margin meant the Blues lost ground in the race for the top four and dropped below Manchester United and Arsenal into sixth.

Maurizio Sarri's role as manager is now under threat, too, and a lot of the players have been accused of not being good enough.

Individual mistakes plagued Chelsea's display at the Etihad Stadium as Marcos Alonso, Ross Barkley, Kepa Arrizabalaga and Cesar Azpilicueta all made errors leading to goals.

Alonso failed to track Bernardo Silva for City's opener, Barkley headed the ball straight to Sergio Aguero for his second of the game and Kepa should have gone better for Ilkay Gundogan's strike.

snip

He didn't even look to his left. One-dimensional player lacking any sort of outstanding skill.

16 minutes ago, manpe said:

He didn't even look to his left. One-dimensional player lacking any sort of outstanding skill.

I really cannot believe how much he has regressed. It's astounding how fundamentally bad he is. It is just depressing to see him trot game after game and just FAIL at even basic fullback play. 

34 minutes ago, Unionjack said:

You are one of our more level headed ant patient members mate but you surely can't be happy with the majority of what he has delivered.

If we are serious about competing - let alone dominating, we have to seriously stand outside and take a look at ortselves.

Oh, I think he's shit.  Don't get me wrong.  I just don't say it because it's already a known fact.  I don't go around saying water is wet either.  I just assume everyone thinks that.  The only thing more maddening than his poor crossing is his poor passing.  The number of counter attacks the he gives up by playing a poor ball in the the middle of the pitch at the half way line is staggering.  People then go and pick on Jorginho for not being more of a house, and Sarri for not having Kante there.  They should be getting even more mad at Alonso.  I know it doesn't seem like there's anywhere to go, but he should actually get more stick.

I'm also not the "He needs to leave the club" type either though.  If he wants to be in the stands, fine, it's his career.  We'd just be better off as a club if he wasn't playing, or only in cup ties or something.  

But in response to "what was he doing", that's what I think he was trying to do, cross for Higuain.  He's so shit that it leaves room for interpretation, that's really the problem.

1 minute ago, Sideshow Luiz said:

Oh, I think he's shit.  Don't get me wrong.  I just don't say it because it's already a known fact.  I don't go around saying water is wet either.  I just assume everyone thinks that.  The only thing more maddening than his poor crossing is his poor passing.  The number of counter attacks the he gives up by playing a poor ball in the the middle of the pitch at the half way line is staggering.  People then go and pick on Jorginho for not being more of a house, and Sarri for not having Kante there.  They should be getting even more mad at Alonso.  I know it doesn't seem like there's anywhere to go, but he should actually get more stick.

I'm also not the "He needs to leave the club" type either though.  If he wants to be in the stands, fine, it's his career.  We'd just be better off as a club if he wasn't playing, or only in cup ties or something.  

But in response to "what was he doing", that's what I think he was trying to do, cross for Higuain.  He's so shit that it leaves room for interpretation, that's really the problem.

I think his biggest problem (and ths goes for a couple of the others too,) is that his brain works like mine!!

I would make a totally useless team sportsman cause I weigh up every single option usually and can see advantages in all the ones I think of. A very typical Libran. Sees all sides to summet.

Whereas a millionaire sportsman needs to have thought about those decisions before hes got the ball. He needs to have looked up and sussed out where everyone is and do what he has decided.

Alonsos still thinking what his best option would be while his bodys decided for him so it never works out.

Add not being able to cross a ball or make a decent pass 90% of the time and its got the makings of a bang average player.

How I see him anyway.

15 minutes ago, Unionjack said:

I think his biggest problem (and ths goes for a couple of the others too,) is that his brain works like mine!!

I would make a totally useless team sportsman cause I weigh up every single option usually and can see advantages in all the ones I think of. A very typical Libran. Sees all sides to summet.

Whereas a millionaire sportsman needs to have thought about those decisions before hes got the ball. He needs to have looked up and sussed out where everyone is and do what he has decided.

Alonsos still thinking what his best option would be while his bodys decided for him so it never works out.

Add not being able to cross a ball or make a decent pass 90% of the time and its got the makings of a bang average player.

How I see him anyway.

That was Morata's problem too.  As soon as he had some time to think, it was over.  When he was instinctual, he was a decent finisher (last season, at least).

I think Alonso actually knows what his limitations are, and it leads to his indecisiveness.  IMO.

There are times where you can see that he'll try to stop a player very early because he knows there's no chance in hell that he can recover.  Can't back off either because he'll get beat anyway.  I think he's scared to venture forward out wide because he knows he can't get back in time which is why he does that stupid underlapping thing all the time and takes up an AM position.

I'll give him some credit for that.  Though knowing how bad you are isn't a great deal of praise.   

41 minutes ago, Jason said:

I don't think Alonso was even good to begin with anyway. His weaknesses were covered by Conte's back 3 system and him scoring goals in the 2016/17 season, a number of which were from set pieces. There's a reason why we were after Sandro. 

He was 100 times better as a wing back than as a full back. He was definitely not first choice on Contes list of targets either.

4 hours ago, El P. said:

Ok, let's not compare Kalou or Bertrand. But what about Cahill? He too scored often 6-8 goals per season, played a lot of games and have been important for our success. Cahill too sometimes looked really good, in some setups, but regardless of that we all knew that he is not a top player, we all knew that he is only a good player. Why no one considered him top player, or one of the best central-backs in the league, like they did with Alonso? It really baffles me.

Alonso is Cahill of LWB/LB.

No argument there. Gary worked well in certain systems and not so well in others (high def lines).

I, and quite a few people (including sarri early season) think Alonso had some important qualities for the position: namely passing, defending high balls, and scoring. His goals have dried up - unlucky too as he hit the post a few times - but his passing is definitely worse than it used to be... more laborious and testy. Maybe confidence as said above. He's in bad shape and form... it happens!

Now, my point is that this scapegoating in football doesn't make much sense. 11 play and the system was meant to cover the attacking LB (not the defensive RB). So, there is something terribly wrong with the team, and I suppose that some of the players are no longer running for the manager and the system.

Everybody is focusing on Alonso decision, but the most interesting for me was that Hazard was strolling about doing nothing. So, you stick another attacking LB there, Emerson, esp because he's average, and it's going to be the same shit. As it was in the 4 nil and second half against City.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

I don't think Alonso was even good to begin with anyway. His weaknesses were covered by Conte's back 3 system and him scoring goals in the 2016/17 season, a number of which were from set pieces. There's a reason why we were after Sandro. 

This, he has always been overrated until this season i’d say, in general. I’ve said before, nothing has changed. He’s always been slow, a poor crosser, iffy defensively, poor on the ball. The most extreme example of how goals can cover up the cracks in a player, in his case also helped that some of those goals were high profile. I’ve said before that in terms of his actual 90 minutes performance I have very rarely-never actually been impressed with him or would rate him above a 6.

He has had 5 shots hit the post this season and you have to wonder that if 2 or 3 of them (or God forbid all 5) happened to go in how just that would change most people’s opinion on him. That scenario (scoring the odd goal with average-poor performances)is literally Alonso of first two seasons.

Again I’ve used this example before but at the start of the season we had the Newcastle game. Let me tell you in that game Alonso was no different to how he is now or has been in the past aka he did not contribute anything in attack or defence. He was having a poor game as usual. In the last 15 minutes he a) got fouled in the box by a random terribly timed tackle, Hazard converts the pen b ) had an off target header diverted in by a Newcastle defender and all I hear post match is how good he is going forward, how clutch he is, the best LB in the PL.

One pundit who saw throigh it was Gullit, he wrote a piece for BBC after the Newcastle game. Probably the first pundit to realise (to me you could predict before we even started the season) that Alonso and Azpi are not good outlets from wide to break teams down.