The Conte Thread

27 minutes ago, LDN Blue said:

It's easier to agree with you when good players are getting signed day-in-day-out now and we're making no headway. United, as Mourinho does, finished business early.. Identified areas of weakness almost immediately and went a long way to rectify them. They've signed a defender, attacking midfielder, striker and now Pogba. Much like 2014, if you give the managers their targets quickly and efficiently then it makes for better preparation. 

We're almost approaching our first game of the season and our only first team signing has been Kante. Don't think Michy's going to be starting anytime soon ahead of Costa, hell I'm half expecting Moses to start lol!

I worry for this coming season a lot. It's not about spending for the sake of it, it's spending to actually make Chelsea title contenders. I look at rival squads, particularly that of Manchester's and they've bought who/what they needed, whereas we arguably addressed the smallest area of our problems on the pitch. In 3 weeks the transfer week closes and imo we're still 3 players short of where we should be if we're going to challenge. 

Instead we'll make a panic buy in Lukaku and that'll be all she wrote. Poor Conte lol.

But that's the point, the market is so competitive these days we cant just handpick players to make us title contenders.

United signed Pogba yesterday, don't you think Jose would have had him in early doors if he could? But he couldn't, the others he could but Pogba he couldn't, if Koulibaly and Morata played for Dortmund both would have been signed before Kante or even Bats, if Bailey and Miki were at Porto and Napoli United would still be negotiating with the clubs, but they weren't, nothing we can do about De Laurentis being the Italian Daniel Levy.

The fullback situation is kind of strange. Conte decided quickly that Baba wasn't good enough and we moved him out on loan hastily. You'd have thought that we would've only let him go if a replacement was imminent.

Not a peep. Not even a link to one, really.

7 minutes ago, Pizy said:

The fullback situation is kind of strange. Conte decided quickly that Baba wasn't good enough and we moved him out on loan hastily. You'd have thought that we would've only let him go if a replacement was imminent.

Not a peep. Not even a link to one, really.

I'm thinking Aina might feature heavily, but that could just be wishful thinking on my part. 

I can't get my head around us letting Baba go on loan especially considering we also let Ake go out again too, I had a feeling he'd be brought back in this season, I know he can play CM but as a squad fullback he would have given us depth without spending a penny. 

8 minutes ago, Eidur the Spider said:

I'm thinking Aina might feature heavily, but that could just be wishful thinking on my part. 

I can't get my head around us letting Baba go on loan especially considering we also let Ake go out again too, I had a feeling he'd be brought back in this season, I know he can play CM but as a squad fullback he would have given us depth without spending a penny. 

Yeah, preseason was proof that Aina has the talent and ability to play games for us this season. But it also showed that he's got a long way to go before he's the undisputed first choice. He's still a kid, obviously.

Like, what happens if Azpi picks up a bad injury? We'd be totally fucked. Ivanovic on one side and Aina on the other. We'd leak even more goals. We surely have to be bringing someone in.

Just now, Pizy said:

Yeah, preseason was proof that Aina has the talent and ability to play games for us this season. But it also showed that he's got a long way to go before he's the undisputed first choice. He's still a kid, obviously.

Like, what happens if Azpi picks up a bad injury? We'd be totally fucked. Ivanovic on one side and Aina on the other. We'd leak even more goals. We surely have to be bringing someone in.

I hope so but like you aluded to earlier we haven't been linked with any fullbacks. I know the odd deal can be done on the sly and surprise us but it just doesn't feel right. I think the most likely scenario in this transfer window is:

Thiago Miaia IN (Soon)

Koulibaly IN (Soon- Fucking christ I hope so)

Lukaku IN (Deadline day- Apparently Everton are in for Bony)

That leaves us good in some places but desperately short still at left back. Baba was a bad signing, going forward he looked good but his positioning showed he has a lot to learn, I just hope in the coming days we are linked to someone, even if it's just a 'decent' fullback with PL experience, I might get shouted down for this but I'd have a look at Andy Robertson at Hull City, wouldn't be the priciest move but I have been very impressed with him every time I've seen him play.

Another quick CM, two fullbacks and one solid CB with good feet would be the bare minimum to avoid a total crap season.

How soon do we play Spurs? ugh. Looking at the Prem fixtures now and unless Arsenal, Liverpool and West Ham destroy us before December, IDK that we have a true indication of how this season could become.

BTW: Who here has watched Koulibaly for more than a match or two? Anyone?  If so, how good is he with the ball at his feet and passing?

de Vrij has no problems with the ball at his feet.

27 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Another striker is a must. Costa gets injured and we have only Bats since it seems nailed on that Remy is gone.

If we're going to play 4-2-4 we have to get a striker, if its 4-3-3 I think Costa, Batshuayi and Traore are enough.

24 minutes ago, quickpassnmove said:

Another quick CM, two fullbacks and one solid CB with good feet would be the bare minimum to avoid a total crap season.

How soon do we play Spurs? ugh. Looking at the Prem fixtures now and unless Arsenal, Liverpool and West Ham destroy us before December, IDK that we have a true indication of how this season could become.

BTW: Who here has watched Koulibaly for more than a match or two? Anyone?  If so, how good is he with the ball at his feet and passing?

de Vrij has no problems with the ball at his feet.

Arsenal couldn't even get near us even last season, their inferiority complex against us is argubaly the worst in modern football, they look mentally shot in the tunnel vs Chelsea.

18 hours ago, Pizy said:

I'm already having fuckin nightmares and drinking more as it is. You trying to send me over the top?

th_photo.jpg.gif