The Conte Thread

I understand people's frustrations, but we have to realise the players we are after are key players for their clubs and the negotiating will take some time. I am positive our board will be working hard behind the scenes to negotiate for players, so things just aren't going to happen overnight. We still have plenty time left in the transfer window so relax and see how things go. If someone would have told you or I we would have signed Kante, let alone Kante and Batshuayi with 4 weeks of the window left I would have never believed them. We have two positions sorted, so I very much doubt the board are neglecting (and by the transfer rumours i am reading, it's obvious they are not) our defence. 

Conte is unlucky,is so skilled that managers to balance the league refuse to buy players.It happened before at Juventus when he asked strikers and now at Chelsea with defenders / midfielders.If he can win in these conditions even with Chelsea he will be the new King Midas of coaches.

Its tough for him that both the captain and the vice captain happen to be part of the same dreaded back four, where we really need replacements. Even if he does sign someone, ousting the existing players there is going to be tough.

3 hours ago, It's too big said:

I understand people's frustrations, but we have to realise the players we are after are key players for their clubs and the negotiating will take some time. I am positive our board will be working hard behind the scenes to negotiate for players, so things just aren't going to happen overnight. We still have plenty time left in the transfer window so relax and see how things go. If someone would have told you or I we would have signed Kante, let alone Kante and Batshuayi with 4 weeks of the window left I would have never believed them. We have two positions sorted, so I very much doubt the board are neglecting (and by the transfer rumours i am reading, it's obvious they are not) our defence. 

Take some time? Don't happen overnight? The season kick off in a week! We've had an entire summer to negotiate and chase targets!

Our scouts and higher-ups should've identified CB and other defensive targets ages ago during the last season when JT, Ivanovic, and Cahill were shit.

Nah, not buying this "they're working hard and there's still time" narrative. A smart club would've reinforced our biggest weakness as soon as they were able. To allow it to go this long is borderline incompetence. The later they let it go the harder it is for clubs to find replacements for their important players.

Same goes for this silly chase for Lukaku. Do we really think Everton will allow their best player and leading goal scorer go days before the season starts? These sort of deals are ones you push to complete early in the transfer window.

2 hours ago, AlesJuve said:

Conte is unlucky,is so skilled that managers to balance the league refuse to buy players.It happened before at Juventus when he asked strikers and now at Chelsea with defenders / midfielders.If he can win in these conditions even with Chelsea he will be the new King Midas of coaches.

I think it is more about those players' power at the club, rather than anything else. Pretty much everybody and their dog agrees that Terry, Cahill and Ivanovic are past it, but nothing can be done unfortunately as they have too much influence in the locker room. This is why I think that come next summer when Terry and Ivanovic's contracts are due to end, the club must shake their hands, schedule something big at the Bridge for the fans to say their goodbye and that's it. And Cahill sold of course.

I want (like many others I guess) Azpilicueta at RB, Zouma at CB and a new CB and LB starting right now, this season, but this is only a dream because there is no way Terry, Cahill and Ivanovic would be dropped to the bench, all three simultaneously.

If Azpilicueta - Terry - Cahill - Ivanovic is Chelsea's back four going into the new season then I am ready to just enjoy this season, wish Conte good luck (he'll need plenty) and pray for patience from the board because we are going to probably sweat for a top 4 finish. If it's going to be a top 4 finish in the end, you know....

20 minutes ago, petre.ispirescu said:
20 minutes ago, petre.ispirescu said:

I think it is more about those players' power at the club, rather than anything else. Pretty much everybody and their dog agrees that Terry, Cahill and Ivanovic are past it, but nothing can be done unfortunately as they have too much influence in the locker room. This is why I think that come next summer when Terry and Ivanovic's contracts are due to end, the club must shake their hands, schedule something big at the Bridge for the fans to say their goodbye and that's it. And Cahill sold of course.

I want (like many others I guess) Azpilicueta at RB, Zouma at CB and a new CB and LB starting right now, this season, but this is only a dream because there is no way Terry, Cahill and Ivanovic would be dropped to the bench, all three simultaneously.

If Azpilicueta - Terry - Cahill - Ivanovic is Chelsea's back four going into the new season then I am ready to just enjoy this season, wish Conte good luck (he'll need plenty) and pray for patience from the board because we are going to probably sweat for a top 4 finish. If it's going to be a top 4 finish in the end, you know....

A champion like Terry who won everything should understand that it's time to sit on the bench and help young player to grow.At Juventus Conte put Del Piero on the bench it's time to do the same with Terry.Terry can still be very useful as a man dressing but as a player the best years have passed.

14 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Remember in 2005 the Essien deal, when was that it official? A week after the start of the season, Carvalho the year before? Just before the start. Now in hindsight do you wish we just signed two players inferior to them two just for the sake of getting business done early?

The board are actively chasing the best avalible centre back on the market, unfortunately he is under contract for a club who's owner makes Daniel Levy look easy to negotiate with, we can't legislate for that, we could have the best negotiator in the business but if De Laurentis is playing hard ball, what can he do? if we have to start the season without him so be it, but three matches for the sake of seven years of world class service isn't that big a deal.

If Koulibaly played for Dortmund instead of Napoli, he would have been our player before Kante and possibly even Batshauyi, but shit happens, if my aunt was my uncle and all that.....

I'd say 3 matches is hugely important for a club that finished 10th, absolutely must secure top 4 no matter what, who is competing against clubs that can buy multiple £50m players or spend £100m on a single player, and are in a league where even small clubs like fucking West Ham will be thinking they're top 4 challengers.

Each and every game is extremely important. Getting off to a good start is imperative. We have what is (on paper) a pretty comfortable first 5 fixtures. If we had brought in defensive reinforcements early and got them settled during preseason I'd back us to rip it up to start the season like we did a couple of years ago. Instead, we may be lining up with the same shit back 4 that looks likely to concede with every opposition attack.

Lets say we have a shocker of a start and the likes of City, United, Arse, Spuds etc are already a mile ahead of us. Maybe you can see why I'm a bit panicky?

12 minutes ago, Pizy said:

I'd say 3 matches is hugely important for a club that finished 10th, absolutely must secure top 4 no matter what, who is competing against clubs that can buy multiple £50m players or spend £100m on a single player, and are in a league where even small clubs like fucking West Ham will be thinking they're top 4 challengers.

Each and every game is extremely important. Getting off to a good start is imperative. We have what is (on paper) a pretty comfortable first 5 fixtures. If we had brought in defensive reinforcements early and got them settled during preseason I'd back us to rip it up to start the season like we did a couple of years ago. Instead, we may be lining up with the same shit back 4 that looks likely to concede with every opposition attack.

Lets say we have a shocker of a start and the likes of City, United, Arse, Spuds etc are already a mile ahead of us. Maybe you can see why I'm a bit panicky?

Of course, but I'd wager that 35 games of Koulibaly would accumalate us more points than 38 games of any realistically attainable alternative. Believe me I'm not looking forward to seeing that back four vs WHU but shit happens, alleast we got N Golo protecting them.

6 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Of course, but I'd wager that 35 games of Koulibaly would accumalate us more points than 38 games of any realistically attainable alternative. Believe me I'm not looking forward to seeing that back four vs WHU but shit happens, alleast we got N Golo protecting them.

And at least Hazard and Costa appear to be "back." Their quality should really see us to straight forward wins in these first few matches. Hope the club have things sorted by the deadline.

He is being set up to fail. 

Starting the same team that finished 10th last season. 

This absurd, as the club should have had all of last season to figure out our weakness. 

The fact that they have not bought in good defender to replace the biggest weakness of last season show the incompetent of the club. 

16 hours ago, It's too big said:

Early identification is massively key. Negotiations are a latter state development, if targets had been identified early, and I mean well before last season ended, we wouldn't be scratching around and still have no new faces in the back line as it stands. Last season you could see a mile off where the areas were that needed sorting, and whilst we have Kante and MB that is only very minimal to what is required.

This club need to work faster and harder if we are to challenge for anything, not just this season but in the future. They are not operating in a way to last seasons short comings.

39 minutes ago, Fernando said:

He is being set up to fail. 

Starting the same team that finished 10th last season. 

This absurd, as the club should have had all of last season to figure out our weakness. 

The fact that they have not bought in good defender to replace the biggest weakness of last season show the incompetent of the club. 

The question is, does the Board has even identified our weakness ? Sometimes I doubt of that.

For instance, they waited the ninth defeat in the League and to be at one point of the relegation zone to dismiss Mourinho, while it was pretty clear in the first few games that we were going right into the wall, especially when taking into consideration that we were in a free fall since the start of 2015. Then they renewed both Ivanovic and Terry, who played both a big part in our collapse and that were shadow of themselves for the last three years (at least). On top of that, we only bought two players for the first team, players which are not even in positions of our most pressing needs. It would be okay if like some other teams we had decided to overpower one of our departments — but it is not even the case !

All these clues lead me to believe that our administration does not fully understand the alarming situation we are in.

I remember a couple of weeks ago after we had just signed Kante several reputable journalists who are clearly pretty clued in on Chelsea matters said that Conte wanted 4-5 more incomings. What the hell happened to that? 

I know there are still 3 weeks left of the transfer window, but damn. Getting close to panic buy time.