The Conte Thread

1 hour ago, The Skipper said:

This guy really brings an air of positivity to the club that I haven't seen in a long, long time. With Jose it was always 'us vs. the world' but Conte seems to bring a passionate humility about him. He seems so hungry to succeed, a hunger I haven't seen in Jose for a long time, probably not since his first stint. I feel like he'll utilise our youth a lot better than Jose too, we have one of the best academies in the world and some very talented players that just need polishing. I think Conte can do that. He has the track record. Let's hope a few guys come through soon. Early signs are extremely positive. 

Also every interview Ive seen from a player say they respect him and trust him.

Hes got me doing the same.

I've not seen anything from JT yet tho which is a bit unusual.

Its coming up to Saturday. Maybe the day for another transfer announcement :)

I'm actually excited about his youth comments. 

Of course I heard that from many managers in the past only to be left disappointed. 

Here it seems like this guy actually means it. I mean he gave time to pogba and made him focal point. 

14 hours ago, Barbara said:

First, Shakez, it's so nice to see you posting. I've been away for a long time (no time to even breathe let alone read, post or even watch Chelsea). Not that I don't welcome new members - if they are nice I surely do, but still seeing some guys from the days I posted more often brings a smile to my face, and you my dear, are certainly one of them :)

Now about the double training sessions - I'm sure it's only until the team reaches their best physical condition and an attempt to start the season as strong physically as we could.

Last year we as a club - whether it was a Mourinho's option, a club option or both - made a test by giving players longer vacation time and starting very light on training during preseason. Mourinho addressed it a few times at the beginning of the season and back then I thought it was a valid attempt, but one I would assess when the results of such decision appeared. I did assess it and before the whole Mourinho implosion got out of control, I was starting to second guess the decision of letting the players rest more and start preseason with light sessions. I pointed that out as one of the reasons why things weren't working out in the first two months. We were a couple of step behind the other teams in terms of competitiveness and physicality.

Fact is a lot of things - most directly linked to Mourinho's presence - brought us the the deep hole we dug, but I think we were physically subpar. It was a mistake to give players more time to rest. Unfortunately this is not affordable in modern football, not only because of the bloated calendar, but because the intensity of the game increased a lot. The most physical players from 20 years ago wouldn't last much in nowadays football before running out of steam.

So I fully support the decision of taking heavier, more intense sessions, even if twice a day (I'm going to assume one of those two sessions might be a bit lighter than the other). I'd say when the team is running on full throttle physically we can go back to one session a day - or keep it on alternate days, as we'll rarely have midweek football this season.

Players needs to get ready physically, but also mentally for real competition and the aspect of a demanding manager, that is breathing on their neck, pushing them the farthest they can go prepare players not only physically to endure the challenges of an unbelievable busy calendar, but also have them mentally ready earlier as well. I hope we never ago take the longer vacation time,lighter preseason route again.

I don't exactly know what is the floor you're giving me, but I hope is from a stage because I'm on vacation and I won't sweep anything :P (bad joke I know, but I'm the queen of bad jokes)

I think it's going to be paramount for our success this season - and consequently Conte's too - the fact that we won't have any European football to play at all. I mean, of course I would have preferred if we were playing Europe, even Europa League, but as we are not, let's make the most of it and I think that gives Conte the best scenario to work. After the season we had, there's obviously less pressure than usual. We were 10th, so it's not like people are going to demand us to win the title. Most fans would be happy with being Arsenal for a season and just aiming the 4th place and assuring UCL next season. So when bad results come - and they certainly will - media and fans won't be on Conte like they would if we had a standard Chelsea season last year. Unfortunately the stakes aren't as high as they normally are, but that's working to Conte's advantage if you ask me.

Not playing during the week not only helps the players being fresher, but also allows Conte to make more tests with formations, tactical approaches, etc. When you have two or three days before your next match, you can't work on those things as much as you want because you need to get ready for the next game. With the next game being 6, 7 or even 8, 9 days later, Conte has time not only to train drills, but also to make tests. Even though the lack of European football sucks, I think it's going to be the one fact that will help Conte the most.

And let's not joke ourselves, even during my most avid Mourinho defending days, I complained about how he seemed to have dropped some of the drilling aspect of training. It seemed like he became sloppy in training certain kind of moves with players, how to position on free kicks - both defending and attacking. How many times have we read or heard him saying that he told Hazard he could go there and do his thing and it feels like except demanding a whole much of work rate from all players, Mourinho seemed to have settled for letting them to their thing most time and having only a few organized, trained (or as we say in Portuguese, rehearsed) plays, moves, composition, etc. We relied a lot on Fabregas killer eye for an assist, Willian's energy and pace, Hazard's talent and Costa giving-it-all attitude.

A team as big as us certainly needs its manager to go beyond that. The manager we need can't let players do their thing and only demand work rate from them. They need to be trained in the most strict meaning of the word, drilled, pushed, guided and if that's the case, even taken by the hand. I want to see Conte stopping the training motion simply to correct our defense and midfield positioning. I want him to be livid on players when they aren't paying enough attention or keeping to the plan as they're supposed to, I want him to push, push, push as much as he works, works, works. Those players aren't as bad as they looked last season, the thing is they weren't pushed enough and most of them became the worst version of themselves because let's not fool ourselves, the intensity and demands of modern football I mentioned above are insane and if there isn't someone breathing on their necks to give more and go further - they, like any other human being on their place - will just fall into their comfort zone. Most of them probably do it without noticing and without being able to leave that place by themselves. Modern sports - not only football actually - keep demanding more, and it's a while since the demands went above the 'natural' disposition. Yes, they're paid much more than they should just to play in this level, but money doesn't reset how your brain works and the exception is the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo - players that are constantly pushing their limits by themselves, but that's a very particular and personal trait, we can't expect - let alone demand - every player, no matter how much money the club gives them to have their brain reset to just make their body go beyond its natural limits.

And now I said too much, but that's entirely Chelsea Buzz fault. He gave me a whole floor, what was I supposed to do with it as I refuse to do any more sweeping on my vacay time? Complaints direct to him please :P

Kidding of course, I may not be the queen of the longest posts anymore, but I just had a lot to say... as usual for women and even more so for me. Good thing most of you can cope with me already ;)

The ones who can't yet for they're new here, chop chop and learn (bad joke again)

Glad to see you're back :). Like u, i also wasn't really active on here last season. I should be able to watch alot more games this season though, due to some changes in my work schedule. 

Im really excited about the new season, mainly because of the reasons u (and others) already mentioned about Conte's high demanding style. But at the moment im really scared about the effects it will have on Hazard. I think Conte's demands will prove too strict for him again (as with Mourinho last season). I think he flourishes more in a laid back environment, and non pressing style of play (Hiddink). But then again, i can't really see anyone in the current squad displacing him either unless they make some serious strides forward. My fear is that his lack of drive to be the absolute best will keep him from raising his (and our) game to another level. Either way, i sincerely hope he proves me wrong.

Also, for some weird reason I have very high hopes for Oscar next season (never been a fan of him in the past). I can definitely see him flourish in a 2 man midfield partnership alongside Kante. He might not displace Fabregas as a starter throughout the season, but he will challenge him most definitely, certainly in big games! A battle for places is something we really lacked last season (in all positions).

In The Star

Antoino Conte fires warning to Chelsea chiefs: I need five more signings

ANTONO CONTE has told Chelsea's top brass: I need five more signings if we are going to challenge for the league.

The new boss at Stamford Bridge has taken a look at his side and not held back in his evaluation.

The Daily Mirror report that the Italian told owner Roman Abramovich, technical guru Michael Emenalo and director Marina Granovskaia of his demands in a two-hour meeting.

Conte told his bosses that he felt signings were required in all departments during the frank discussion.

The meeting was said to have taken place in a hotel last Saturday night following Chelsea's  2-0 loss to Rapid Vienna.

Abramovich was reportedly seen leaving the meeting looking far from amused.

has taken a look at his side and not held back in his evaluation.

The Daily Mirror report that the Italian told owner Roman Abramovich, technical guru Michael Emenalo and director Marina Granovskaia of his demands in a two-hour meeting.

Conte told his bosses that he felt signings were required in all departments during the frank discussion.

The meeting was said to have taken place in a hotel last Saturday night following Chelsea's  2-0 loss to Rapid Vienna.

The Russian billionaire then arranged another meeting the following day before watching training.

With the likes of Manchester City and Manchester United splashing the cash big time this summer, Abramovich has a big decision whether to stick or twist with the side that crashed from Champions to 10th place last term.

2 hours ago, Shakez said:

Glad to see you're back :). Like u, i also wasn't really active on here last season. I should be able to watch alot more games this season though, due to some changes in my work schedule. 

Im really excited about the new season, mainly because of the reasons u (and others) already mentioned about Conte's high demanding style. But at the moment im really scared about the effects it will have on Hazard. I think Conte's demands will prove too strict for him again (as with Mourinho last season). I think he flourishes more in a laid back environment, and non pressing style of play (Hiddink). But then again, i can't really see anyone in the current squad displacing him either unless they make some serious strides forward. My fear is that his lack of drive to be the absolute best will keep him from raising his (and our) game to another level. Either way, i sincerely hope he proves me wrong.

Also, for some weird reason I have very high hopes for Oscar next season (never been a fan of him in the past). I can definitely see him flourish in a 2 man midfield partnership alongside Kante. He might not displace Fabregas as a starter throughout the season, but he will challenge him most definitely, certainly in big games! A battle for places is something we really lacked last season (in all positions).

Actually I feel like Eden needs the extra push to reach new heights in his career, I just think it has to be a gentle push, not Mourinho's rough ones he got from time to time. Eden doesn't look like the guy who responds well to 'tough love', but I do believe he needs to be pushed

13 minutes ago, Unionjack said:

In The Star

Antoino Conte fires warning to Chelsea chiefs: I need five more signings

ANTONO CONTE has told Chelsea's top brass: I need five more signings if we are going to challenge for the league.

The new boss at Stamford Bridge has taken a look at his side and not held back in his evaluation.

The Russian billionaire then arranged another meeting the following day before watching training.

With the likes of Manchester City and Manchester United splashing the cash big time this summer, Abramovich has a big decision whether to stick or twist with the side that crashed from Champions to 10th place last term.

5 More? :blink:

3 minutes ago, Belgiannutt said:

A number 10 ? Why ?

Because we haven't got one and not had a proper one for years.

Its a important position and not one that we can just put someone there to do it. We need a real playmaker.

Cescy is closest but hes better deeper But as hes not that hot at defending we put him there.

Just now, Unionjack said:

Its a important position and not one that we can just put someone there to do it. We need a real playmaker.

Cescy is closest but hes better deeper But as hes not that hot at defending we put him there.

But we don't play with a 10 under Conte. We play with 2 out and out strikers and 2 wingers

Just now, Belgiannutt said:

But we don't play with a 10 under Conte. We play with 2 out and out strikers and 2 wingers

Thats not set in stone is it.

We need players that we can use as alternatives. As game changers, We lack that.

Antonio Conte wants to add another four players to his #Chelsea squad before the end of the transfer window. [Telegraph]

Cuadrado leave Stamford Bridge, then the door may be open for Conte to bring in Lazio winger Antonio Candreva. [Telegraph]

52 minutes ago, Unionjack said:

Hazard is a #10 and so is Fabregas. No top team plays with one anyway.

That's what I like to hear! Get some defensive signings and everything else will be icing on the cake.

Also, if we sell Cuadrado (and maybe even another surplus attacker) we should forget about Candreva and throw the kitchen sink at Mahrez. Have Kante recruit him, have his mate Drogba recruit him, and throw Leicester and offer. Maybe if we bid it'll turn his head and he'd push for the move.

3 minutes ago, Gilvorak said:

Hazard is a #10 and so is Fabregas. No top team plays with one anyway.

Neither of them is a proper number 10.

Cescys more like a deep 10. But he needs far too much time and space to be able to play high up

Need Eden wide. Try to get him running at the line getting behind defenders instead of cutting inside every time.Hes just a straight AM. He doesnt make near emough assists.