FA Youth Cup Thread

LDN Blue

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

Vitesse be like...

tenor.gif?itemid=5425512

Although they have done well with Baker and now Mount, I think Hudson-Odoi can do a lot better than Vitesse. Would be good first team exposure but he can do a lot better.

1 minute ago, Stats said:

Although they have done well with Baker and now Mount, I think Hudson-Odoi can do a lot better than Vitesse. Would be good first team exposure but he can do a lot better.

If he goes to Vitesse I will fuming. He is ready for first team action or if not a Prem team like Palace. Odoi and Zaha on wings would be pretty dangerous.

59 minutes ago, Stats said:

Will be interesting to see what happens with Hudson-Odoi next season. He clearly is too good for youth and U23 football and has already made appearances for our first team. A lot will depend if we get in the UCL or not. If we don't I think he will stay with first team while playing cup and Europa League games. If we somehow get into top 4 maybe a loan but he is good enough. Has everything and is still bloody 17. Let that sink in. Got so much potential and seems a pretty much level-headed kid too.

If we dont get CL (well lets be honest its 90% not happening) then Hudson-Odoi should be in the squad and given a run in the Europa League, its the ideal sort of platform for him to play, its competitive but at the same time there are a lot of shit teams in it at the start (maybe consider ourselves in that bracket based on how we've been in moments this season haha). Really impressed with him in limited minutes with the first team and even more so for the u23 and youth teams. I have high hopes he'll get a better chance than what we've seen in the past with others. 

• 1 year later...

The 18s are currently playing Wolves in the 5th round of this season's Youth Cup. Six minutes ago we conceded a penalty. Four minutes ago we went one nil up after our keeper somehow read the chip down the middle from the spot kick, stood his ground and easily caught the ball. Two minutes later a piece of magic from Tino Anjorin set up our goal for Ian Maatsen. Since then we've threatened to add two or three more.

Now two up through Marcel Lewis. We've been carving them open since we went ahead. Radical comment coming... but first 3-0 Tino A. Wonderful finish dancing through the defence and a calm dink over the keeper. The boys are 'playing' now and, on this evidence, they are simply too good for Wolves. Emphasised now by a fourth from a bad keeping error trying to pass across his goal. 4-0. The lads are scoring faster than I can type at the moment. Halftime approaching so hopefully I'll be able to get around to my comment. Nearly five - just wide by Tino Liveramento. HT.

So the radical idea... Armando Broja to get a first team look sooner rather than later. Looks a good, good player to me. Has some physicality, some technique, some power and lot of good decision making around when to pass, shoot, hold, or run. A better prospect than Tammy in my book. A loan required asap I think. Have Vitesse got a good striker at the moment? A season in Holland, a season in Germany and then into the Blue. Easy enough to type plans on a forum, Let's see if reality can live up to it.

Now two up through Marcel Lewis. We've been carving them open since we went ahead. Radical comment coming... but first 3-0 Tino A. Wonderful finish dancing through the defence and a calm dink over the keeper. The boys are 'playing' now and, on this evidence, they are simply too good for Wolves. Emphasised now by a fourth from a bad keeping error trying to pass across his goal. 4-0. The lads are scoring faster than I can type at the moment. Halftime approaching so hopefully I'll be able to get around to my comment. Nearly five - just wide by Tino Liveramento. HT.
So the radical idea... Armando Broja to get a first team look sooner rather than later. Looks a good, good player to me. Has some physicality, some technique, some power and lot of good decision making around when to pass, shoot, hold, or run. A better prospect than Tammy in my book. A loan required asap I think. Have Vitesse got a good striker at the moment? A season in Holland, a season in Germany and then into the Blue. Easy enough to type plans on a forum, Let's see if reality can live up to it.
I even think that Broja and Tammy would actually work in a two striker System because they are completely different.
I always asked myself why Broja does not get the hype when guys like Solanke were so much hyped. I guess it is due to his nationality.

Broja reminds me a little bit of Torres

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

41 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

on Watched parts of it whilst trying to get the kids off to bed.

I remember those days. Enjoy 'em while you can, you'll miss 'em when they've gone. I know I'm not the first person to say that to you, we all hear it over and over again when we reach that stage of life, but we all end up wishing we'd heard it more, or listened more anyway, once we to get to where I am now. :)

I agree, Marcel Lewis looks tidy, busy and efficient and a hattrick helps his profile.

Tino A is an enigma rather like RLC was, and is. When he's good, Tino's unbelievable, but he has a tendency to be all or nothing; dominant or missing, with little in between. For me he's influencing games more than Ruben used to but not yet often enough for my liking. He needs to find a way to be a factor more of the time. Because of the huge potential he has, I have to list Tino in my top three prospects, but he has disappointed me more often than not this season.

Tino L had another good game. I like the way he just gets the job done with no fuss.

Armando Broja is a good footballer. Has everything a striker needs. A much more complete player than Tammy in my opinion. Want to see him playing men's football next season if possible. Looking forward to seeing how he handles the step up.

Lewis Bate was class all night. Really good football brain and excellent technique. I think he's on a first team trajectory. Three or four years away, but headed in the right direction.

12 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

Broja reminds me a little bit of Torres

No, I think Armando is a good player. Never rated Nando and always said so. The purple patch at Liverpool, 18 months tops, was the exception in a career which otherwise reflected the fact that his ceiling wasn't very high.

22 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I remember those days. Enjoy 'em while you can, you'll miss 'em when they've gone. I know I'm not the first person to say that to you, we all hear it over and over again when we reach that stage of life, but we all end up wishing we'd heard it more, or listened more anyway, once we to get to where I am now. :)

No doubt. As me and the wife always say, "little shits, but they're our little shits!"

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

'Fabregas in the making': Some Chelsea fans amazed by their teenager in FA Youth Cup win vs Liverpool

https://www.thechelseachronicle.com/fan-views/fabregas-in-the-making-some-Chelsea-fans-amazed-by-their-teenager-in-fa-youth-cup-win-vs-liverpool/

Some Chelsea fans hail their teenager after FA Youth Cup win vs Liverpool

Chelsea’s young guns pulled off a stunning comeback victory in Saturday’s FA Youth Cup tie against Liverpool – and some Blues fans on Twitter were left raving about the performance of their teenager Charlie Webster.

Chelsea’s Under-18s qualified for the FA Youth Cup quarter-finals by overturning a three-goal deficit at Liverpool to win 4-3.

Ed Brand’s side found themselves 3-0 down inside an hour and on the brink of exit from the competition. However, the visitors managed to mount one of the most improbable comebacks inside the final 20 minutes.

First of all, Webster’s deflected shot from the edge of the box reduced the deficit in the 70th minute. Soon after, Jude Soonsup-Bell netted for the Blues with a great header after beating the goalkeeper to a cross into the box.

Chelsea’s equaliser came in bizarre fashion with three minutes left of the 90 minutes when an attempted clearance deflected in off substitute Malik Mothersille. 

Finally, Tudor Mendel-Idowu tapped in a dramatic winner in stoppage time with a close-range finish.

Webster grabs attention of Chelsea fans

A selection of Blues supporters on social media believe that young prospect Webster is one for the future.

The 17-year-old midfielder scored the goal that sparked the unforgettable comeback. It’s the way the central midfielder performed throughout that fans really loved, though.

A comparison to ex-Chelsea playmaker Cesc Fabregas from one member of the fanbase is one he’d love to hear.

He’s yet to make a first-team debut yet, but one won’t be too far away if he keeps developing at this rate.

The Kingston-born midfielder is extremely comfortable on the ball with some great dribbling and passing in his game, plus he was a real standout in the Liverpool victory even when his team were struggling.

Here are some Chelsea fans praising Webster:

Edited by Vesper

• 4 weeks later...

The 18s take on Blackpool tonight in the FA Youth Cup quarter finals. We haven't won this trophy for four years but, although this group isn't as strong as previous ones, most of the usual suspects in academy competitions have already been eliminated. The game is being staged at Stamford Bridge but, unfortunately, I won't be there. Before its date was set I had applied for tickets to a Chelsea Foundation event taking place at The Imperial War Museum also tonight. Tickets are still available if anyone fancies getting down there. It's a 6:00pm k.o. however which could make it a bit awkward.